I got DSL TODAY Yaaaaa HOOooooooo

David McGough

Second Unit
I live in the country and have had dial up for 15 years. I signed up for this Earthlink DSL got the modem today
and it is unreal FAST.. I'm getting 219.70 kbps, I called a E Tech at work to explain what that meant.
He told me the fastest you can get on dial up is 56 kbps..

I had #1 son send a pic of the grand kid and got it in a nano second.

I hooked up the filters on each phone, checked my rate again this time got 1.22 mbps how does that rate??? what is mbps??

The cost is $19.95 for six mos and then $39.95..... I have 2 lines to the house one for dial up. I called Bell South who I had called one time and told I could not get it.. I called to cancel my other line. Lady checked and I can now get DSL for $32.95... $7 bucks I will keep my address.. Modem did cost $19.95/wires 3 filters.
You can go to 2wire.com to see what rate you are connected. Top of the page see Speed Meter

This is just to let others who cannot get local DSL providers.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
(1) When spelled Mbps, short for megabits per second, a measure of data transfer speed (a megabit is equal to one million bits). Network transmissions, for example, are generally measured in Mbps.
(2) When spelled MBps, short for megabytes per second.

Usually modems are measured in bits per second, so at 1.22 Mbps you are probably getting around 21 times your old speed (which probably never hit 56k without the wires going downhill with a tailwind)..

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
great to hear you're enjoying it.

i'm actually thinking of downgrading from 6mbps cable (from comcast) to a DSL + DirecTV solution, just because I don't go on the net or watch TV as much as I used to. Plus Comcast charges an arm & a leg for pretty much the same services the other two offer.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan

You have your terminology mixed up. You Dial Up is measured in 'Kilobits per second' (56Kbps) and your DSL is measured in 'KiloBytes per second' (219.70KBps). Notice the lowercase 'b' refers to 'bits' and uppercase 'B' refers to 'bytes'. Apples to oranges.

kbps=kilobits per second
KBps=KiloBytes per second

You need to convert you Dial up number to KBps. 56kbps = 6.83KBps.

So your Dial up was 6.83KBps and your DSL is 219.70KBps. That's 32 times faster than dial up. And as Jeff mentioned, you probably never came close to the full 56kbps on your old dial up. You probably never really got faster than 40kbps (about 5.0KBps). I remember years ago when I was on dial up I probably averaged 32kbps (about 4.0KBps). Now with cable I get between 600KBps and 650KBps (about 5Mbps).

By the way, 219.7KBps = 1.80Mbps (Megabits per second). Mbps is usually what you'll see broadband speeds measured in.

David McGough

Second Unit
Filter questions: When I first installed my ZyXEL modem in the computer room.
I did a test on 2wire.com I as i said got 219.70 kbps(may have been K)

I later put on the filters on my other 5 phones in the house. I tested again
and got 1.18 Mbps. Did the filters make it change the way the speed was read?
Does number of phones effect the speed? When someone is on the phone does that effect the speed?

I was told if you don't have filters installed and you get a call you will get cut off of the internet? Do filters effect the speed?

Thanks educateing me on this.
I'm feeling like a high tect kind of guy..

DougR

Second Unit
The Filters are needed,and do not have any effect on Speed. And you won't get kicked off if someone else is on the phone!
Also, I don't know how your DSL is, but when I got SBC ( AT&T) DSL, there's a 10 Day Ramp up period. After that 10 day period,the Speed was pretty Stable.

Here's a great forum for Earthlink DSL users:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/earthlink

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
The only way the filters could effect the speed is by cleaning up the signal, which would reduce error correction/retransmissions.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan

Right. But also keep in mind that a Kilobyte is 1024 Bytes, not 1000 as you would think with the Kilo pre-fix. And it takes 1024 Kilobytes to make a Megabyte; 1024 Megabytes to make a Gigabyte; etc.

If you want to convert between KBps and Mbps the conversion factor is about 122.07. For example, you said you got a transfer speed of 1.18 Mbps. 1.18 Mbps * 122.07 = 144.04 KBps. That's slow compared to the 219.7 KBps you said you had gotten earlier (to convert 219.7 KBps to Mbps it's 219.7 KBps / 122.07 = 1.80 Mbps).

What speed did you pay for? 1.5 Mbps, 2.0 Mbps, 3.0 Mbps, something else?

David McGough

Second Unit
That is what I'm trying to figure out.. My very first right after hook was 219
now ever time I check its 1.18 to 1.20. Why the difference in speed and how it is measured? Like I mentioned I have 5 other phones.. If I disconnected 3 of them would that help. Guess what ever I now have is faster than the 27K I was getting with dial up.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I'm not sure why it changed from showing KBps to Mbps. But that's not a problem. As for the drop in speed, what speed did you sign up for?

David McGough

Second Unit
I was reading a paper the sent along with modem. It reads make sure your modem is not on or near other devices such as monitor, speakers ect.
Modem is on my desk right by everything. Moniter, printer, phone???

When I called I just said I wanted DSL and they sent me this way.

Last question, what do I cut on first? My computer or modem?

DougR

Second Unit
You leave the Modem On and you shut off the Computer.

It's amazing that the Installer didn't give you any Info on the Setup ?

Did you read this from above?

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
Welcome to the modern world.

Believe me, I'm am so glad I got EarthLink ADSL in September 2005. Too many web sites make the assumption you have a broadband connection nowadays and very complex-rendering sites like ESPN.com works best with a broadband connection.

Thanks to broadband, I now enjoy listening to downloaded podcasts such as MuggleCast and PotterCast for Harry Potter fans (don't even THINK about downloading even the low-fidelity version with a dialup connection).

David McGough

Second Unit

No installer came, I received it in the mail with instructions. I will leave on for the 10days.. Fact I will just leave it on all the time...

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Isn't it true that you can only leave the modem on if you have a router as well? Without the router/firewall, you're going to have to keep dialing into the modem.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan

No. My Dad has Eartlink DSL (I'm on TWC Roadrunner) and he has no router. He leaves the modem on 24/7. No dialing in.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NC_Mike