What's new

I got carded for buying movies today. (1 Viewer)

StephenA

Screenwriter
Earlier I went to pay for some movies and the woman asked for an ID because the movies were rated R. I don't even get carded for alcohol anymore. Since I didn't have my ID on me, she wouldn't let me buy the movies because she thought I was under 18. My mom had to show the woman her ID so I could get them. Crazy experience.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I have NEVER been carded for alcohol, not even ON my 21st bday. How sad is that :frowning:
Can't say I've been carded for movies either..

Dewitte

Stunt Coordinator
When I was a Suncoast clerk on a more regular basis, a colleague sold some teen a copy of Goodfellas. Unfortunately, said colleague wasn't working the day Angry Father came in demanding to know why we're selling rated-R films to kids. That guy must have yelled at me for 15 minutes.

Yeah, I card (and store policy now is to do so as well) if only to save myself the hassle of some kid's pissed-off parent coming into the store later.

De

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
can't please everyone. When I was a projectionist the theater got complaints from parents because we didn't let little timmy into an R rated film, or booted his ass out after he snuck in just as often as we got complaints because we did let someone in, go figure.

Dan Shogren

Stunt Coordinator
StevenA,

You shop at wal mart, dont you? They refused to sell my mother the original terminator dvd because i was standin next to her. "BUT WHAT IF HE WATCHES IT!?" Argh, stupid rednecks at walmart. Last time i ever go there.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I thought it was supposed to be 17.
Yeah, I don't get that either, but Amazon has the same policy. This is what they have under every "Product Details" section for R rated movies: "Not for sale to persons under age 18."

dave_brogli

Screenwriter
isnt it funny then how you cant get into an R rated movie if your 17 (if your parents arent there)
but you could get into an NC-17 movie without your parents.... right??

hows this for irony. This girl that I GRADUATED with. In my class. (Im 24) Wouldnt let me buy cigarettes 2 years ago because I didnt have my ID. I said hey we graduated together. she didnt care.

3 months later I got to card her for buying beer at a bar, she didnt have her id, she was age though! I told her to leave and I didnt sell anything to her.....lol

StephenA

Screenwriter
Yea it was Wal-Mart Dan S. I usually don't buy DVDs there, but I got a good deal on a bunch of them. It's still weird to be carded for them, when I've never had a problem with buying R rated movies or going to the theater to see them. It's also been a couple years for me being carded for anything at all, so it kinda took me by surprise. I told her I don't even get carded for alcohol, and she said she didn't know why because I look like a kid. I guess I do because alot of people think I'm 15.

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
The moment I dumped my goatee I started getting carded again for anything and everything. I even got carded for root beer because the cashier glanced at the bottles and mistook them for being a 6 pack of real beer. I'm nearly 28 so it's a pretty nice feeling, actually. I can still blend in with people 10 years younger than I am if I need to. Nobody at the college bars stares and asks 'who's the old guy'.. :)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I was at Fenway Park and they have a VERY strict policy for having an ID to buy beer. They actually refused a 70 year old man because he didn't have ID :eek: (True story). He was flabbergasted (as were most people in line), but I can see where "rules are rules". They put these policies into effect so that the clerks are protected.

I'm sure there are plenty of managers that get complaints from parents who's 15 year olds are able to buy R rated movie, and the excuse from a clerk can't be "Well, he looked 18". So they put these Black and White rules into place so there is no confusion...even if the guy is 80, you still have the right to refuse service if he doesn't have an ID.

The laws, the law.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Don't feel bad. I'm 34 and still get carded for EVERYTHING. I even get carded to get into R-rated movies. When me and my brother, who is 31, went to see Dreamcatcher a few months ago, they wouldn't sell me a ticket until they saw my ID. My brother wasn't carded at all. The joys of looking like a kid I guess.

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
17 is the required age for Video Games that are rated for "Mature" audiences. For movies it's 18.
Is that for the theater as well or just home video? I'm still a little confused because if you read the small print next to any R rating (on a DVD, VHS, movie poster etc) it says: "under 17 requires accompanying parent or adult guardian."

Fortunately I don't have to worry about this anymore. :)

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
Jeff Kleist wrote:

If that's WalMart policy, given that they are the driving force behind P&S and 3 security sticker cases, I say don't shop there
While I hesitate to defend WalMart in any circumstance, and I am almost hanging myself as I'm saying this: it's not exactly WalMart policy. It's a policy created by the organization that gives the rating designations to Video Games (I forgot the name of that particular organization).

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
Bill wrote:

Is that for the theater as well or just home video? I'm still a little confused because if you read the small print next to any R rating (on a DVD, VHS, movie poster etc) it says: "under 17 requires accompanying parent or adult guardian."
Bill, I made a minor mistake regarding age limit on films. I visited the MPAA web site and looked up their ratings and the age is 17 (even for the theater). My bad.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I'm saying this: it's not exactly WalMart policy. It's a policy created by the organization that gives the rating designations to Video Games (I forgot the name of that particular organization).
The ESRB you mean? The ESRB makes no mention of minimum age for purchase, only a rating and "may not be appropriate for those under 17"

It's ALL WalMart policy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks