I got a promotion!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by FredHD, Jan 24, 2003.

1. FredHD

FredHD Stunt Coordinator

I was sitting at my desk at lunch on Wednesday and my manager comes to my desk and asks if she can see me in the conference room, and she does not have a smile on her face.
    I go into the conference room and see her boss and our HR director. I'm wondering what is going on. They tell me that due the expansion that we are going experience over the next year,that they need a new supervisor. They are very happy with my performance and that they like my leadership skills, and they offered me the position.

I'm really excited. It's a good raise (%50) and a good opportunity for me. Some of my coworkers seem a bit miffed about it. Some of them are not aware of my previous experience, and my tenure at my company (16 months), but it also may have to do with the fact that I am only 26. Anyway, I hope I can do a good job. My superiors seem to think I'll be great. Wish me luck.

2. Micah Lloyd

Micah Lloyd Stunt Coordinator

Good for you, Jackson!

I wonder, sometimes, if managers and HR purposefully make the environment stressful only to reverse it and present a happy proposal... I bet your heart was pounding!

Once you settle into your new position I'm sure your coworkers will see that the right person is in your chair.

Good luck!

~micah

3. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

Great news!

4. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Good job!

5. Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison Screenwriter

Randy
    Congrats, Jackson. May I make one suggestion? You might need to read up on how to supervise former co-workers. If they are miffed now, you might have some problems supervising them in the future. There are some excellent books out there. I'm sorry I can't remember the titles right now.

Again, congrats. Go get 'em, tiger!

6. Peter Overduin

Peter Overduin Supporting Actor

Great stuff!! I too have been promoted ahead of peers with greater seniority. Ensure you do yourself a huge favor and do all you can to make those who are miffed, your allies.

I'm a pretty good supervisor and manager of people and projects. I'm even better when I keep in mind that it's those who report to me who really make me look better than I am!

Good luck!

7. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

Ditto to the comments above. I experienced the same (without the big pay raise !), and had a problem with 2 of the more senior members of my team. A very tough year with them, but I made it through. I now supervise another department and those 2 folks are now at the top of the "axe-list" for the next round of layoffs, put there by their current supervisor.

Some people just have bad attitudes and you've got to learn to manage this. Hopefully your experience will be better than mine.

Good Luck !

8. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

9. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

Try the "One Minute Manager" and "Who Moved the Cheese" by Kenneth Blanchard. Very quick reads with simple, but effective techniques.

Sometimes the hardest issue with management is the secret-keeping. You will be aware of company issues that you cannot make your direct reports aware of. Example: We are in the process of preparing for layoffs and know individuals in other areas that will be affected. Really tough to not let them know so they can start preparing. With the state of the IT industry, I feel sorry for them.

What type of industry and department will you be supervising ?

10. Jonathan Burk

Jonathan Burk Second Unit

Jonathan Burk
    I'm enjoying this book right now...

It's Your Ship: Management Techniques from the Best Damn Ship in the Navy by D. Michael Abrashoff

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

I don't know how much "leadership" experience you've got, but you don't need to read to many "technique" books. Just try to pick up the basic principles:
    • Don't take credit for other people's work.
    • Don't lie or pretend to be something you aren't, or know something you don't.
    • Don't ever talk about someone behind their back.
    • Don't try to be someone or something you're not.
    • Think of "great leaders" who have inspired you (either from personal experience, or from movies or books), and learn from them.
    • Always be the first person to arrive, and the last to leave ( [​IMG] to me, in case any of my current employees read this, cause I'm always late :b)
    • If you're new to an area or department, get to know the people and systems before making big changes. Don't come in and pretend like you're there to fix things.
    • Get to know everyone on your team at a personal level; never be afraid to "shoot the breeze" for a few minutes, especially when you're new.

Those are just some thoughts...maybe others could add their own ideas...

11. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

Though I am not a supervisor, and only an underling at this point (I am only 21), in my limited experiences, it seems like the supervisors who promote a team atmosphere do the best and are highley respected. Simple things like going out to lunch together, or happy hour on fridays can go a long way towards garnering the respect of those below you. It is when those who work under you feel you have an air of superiority about yourself, that you will run into problems. Get to know your work crew on more of a personal level, and they will respect you as an individual, and not view you as purely a boss.

J

12. Dean Cooper

Dean Cooper Supporting Actor

Next stop CEO eh? [​IMG]

Congrats!

Dean

13. Frederick

Frederick Second Unit

Congrats, Jackson! And yes, managers love bringing you into the office, thinking there's a problem, and then giving you good news. Especially if they like you [​IMG]. My last promotion the conference room I was led into had my Team Leader, our manager, AND our division manager. Basically, everybody that could take me out in a heartbeat except security. I was sweating bullets! [​IMG]

Freddy C.