I got a free screen, material and roller only.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RANDY FISHER, Mar 20, 2003.

1. RANDY FISHER

RANDY FISHER Second Unit

I work for an A/V contractor, I am a design engineer. We do mostly corporate projects very rarely anything residential. Anyway one of our field tech's came across a Da-lite Da-Mat tab tensioned screen on a job site that was being thrown away and I ended up with it. I haven't unrolled it yet but I have been told it is in good shape. As stated it is the screen material (tab tensioned with bottom bar) and the roller assembly only. No case. I moved into a new house less than a year ago and I plan to finish my basement in the coming 12 to 24 months. I was planning on getting a fixed screen but I was thinking about just somehow fastening the screen material to the wall maybe using the screen roller brackets. It's a 60" x 80" (100" diag.) and I could roll it up to 45" x 80" for a 92" diag. 16:9 screen. The screen material alone goes for $900. Can anyone comment with suggestions.

Randy

2. ScottJ

ScottJ Auditioning

I would like to add a question to this thread. I am also building my first HT in the basement and have my projector but need a 60"x80" screen. My concern is the center channel. I have 3 options:
    1)pay twice as much for "acousticly transparent" screen
    2)save money, buy Da-Mat, and put center under screen.
    3)use Da-Mat screen with center behind it and suffer slight loss of tweeter performance.

I will be sitting about 12 feet from the screen, will the sound placement be really bad with the center speaker so far from the center of the screen? Basically, do you think it is worth paying the extra $300 for special screen. How much does the Da-Mat material interfere with the center channel if I put it behind the screen?

anyone with experience?

3. ScottJ

ScottJ Auditioning

Randy, about your question...
    The Da-Mat material does not require tensioning, so you should have no problem mounting that to a wall. I would seperate it from the old roller mechanism and build a simple frame to hold it. Then buy some thick black material (felt?) to go around the border so you can make it look like a 16:9 screen.
    Disclaimer: I've never taken one of these things apart before. ;-)

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Scott, I would place the centre below the screen and not use the perfed screen, especially if you are using a digital projector, whos own pixel scructure coupled with the screeb's perforations may introduce a moire effect to the picture.