I got $3K for video what's the best I can get...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ryan Libby, Oct 7, 2002.

1. Ryan Libby

Ryan Libby Stunt Coordinator

I can wait for some newer stuff to come out in the next few months. I watch movies on dvd and will be watching hdtv, don't care much about crappy tv signals now. Don't care about it being too big or not very mobile. 16:9 is what I need. If you suggest a projector, I may be able to stretch the budget to $3500 for a screen, so $3.5K for proj. and screen. I'm up for any video display device in that price range, some sonys I've seen are nice, dig the 50' LCD but it's $4000. I really appreciate the help I receive from those on this forum, been a great help to me.

2. Mark Hayenga

Mark Hayenga Supporting Actor

Projectors rule. The Sharp PG-M20X (which I own) can be found for $2800, and is a really good DLP unit (4:3 native, but you can mask your screen down to 16:9). NEC just came out with the LT260 which is also supposed to be very good (not sure what it's priced at though). Don't worry about shelling out $$$ for a screen, some of the DIY options are very good for less than $100 (my painted, stretched cloth screen cost $50). Be sure to check out www.projectorcentral.com, it's a great source for projector info.

3. Sean M

Sean M Stunt Coordinator

The Sony VPL-HS10 Cineza is due out soon. The list price is 3k, so you should be able to get it for less. It's a native 16:9 LCD with a 1365x768 resolution panel. You can go DIY for the screen or pick up a Da-Lite or Vutec grey screen to improve ambient light rejection and improve apparent contrast for what's left over. Internal processing on the Sony should be adequate until you can save enough for external processing if you feels it's necessary.
    Of course, you could also pick up a used 7" CRT projector and a HTPC for about that same amount and DIY the screen. That's the most complicated solution but will have the best PQ, assuming you can accomadate a CRT: complete light control, difficult initial set up (compared to a digital) size and weight. If you go CRT you'll have to get an image processor of some type, deinterlacer, scaler or HTPC as there are no facilities for image processing on board a CRT projector. Well, none worth discussing. Check the digital and crt projector forums over on www.avsforums.com and do a search for more details. Curt Palm might be able to hook you up with a nice NEC 6PG for around $1800+.

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    While I am an avid FPTV supporter, you cannot rule out RPTV either. Do a lot of demo'ing. As far as FPTV goes though, the Sony HS-10 is a contender as well as the Boxlight 13HD. They are both WXGA projectors with native 16:9 panels @ 1366x768 FYI.

5. Geno

Geno Supporting Actor

for $3000, I would go projector
    ive never regreted my purchase
    they have more 16:9 proj's out there now
    and the quality vs price ratio has gotten so much better since I bought mine.

just my $.02

6. Ryan Libby

Thanks for the input. Sounds like everyone is a projector fan. But would I be sacrificing quite a bit of picture quality if I go with a projector?

7. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    If you go with a fairly bright projector with decent contrast ratio at 1366x768 then it will have a great picture in a light-controlled room with a half decent screen, believe me. There are some candidates mentioned already in this thread. See if you can get some demos in a HT store in your area, so you have a better idea.

8. Aaron H

Aaron H Supporting Actor

The Pionner 643HD5 is a very good value (in my opinion, at least) at $2799. It's a rear-projection 64" widescreen TV, with the same stretch modes and line doubler that the infamous Elite TV's have. The MSRP on this set is $5500 and online shopping can only get to down to the low 3k's, and that's even with shady dealers, but Costco is somehow selling them for $2800.

Anyway, another idea for ya.

Aaron

9. Andrew_Ballew

Andrew_Ballew Second Unit

if you have the room and light control---

USED CRT FRONT PROJECTOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can have an AWESOME rebuilt one for that price. Go over to AVS forum and contact Curt Palme. Picture that only the most expensive digitals come close to for pennies on the dollar!

Cheers

Andrew B.

10. Ryan Libby

Hey, thanks for the suggestion. I have more knowledge in the audio end of home theater than the video end. What is the quality difference of the many types of projectors out there? Are CRTs the best, or the best for what most, like me, would dare to spend? Appreciate the assistance.

11. Ryan Libby

12. Ryan Libby

13. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Does the HS10 do 720p? The specs off Projector Central are incomplete. I suspect that it does though as it looks to have similar specs to the Sony VPL-VW12HT.

14. Ryan Libby

15. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    The Grand Wega uses the same "guts" as the Sony VPL-VW10HT basically.

16. Ryan Libby

When is a 720p signal used?

17. Ryan Libby

I think only ABC puts out a 720p signal now are there going to be more in the future?

18. Ryan Libby

Looks like it does 720p...
    "specs from sony u.s.a. on vpl-hs10
    1200 ansi-lumens/1366x768 resolution/contrast ratio 700:1/0.87" lcd panels-16:9 wxga/200watt lamp/auto zoom-auto focus(?)/3-d gamma/3-d y/c separation,with DNR/--h/vdigital keystone correction(simultaneous)/composite,s-video,prog.component,Y-pB-pR/ONLY sony pj in this catagory with DVI/480i,480p,540p,720p,1080i dtv input compatable/RGB in/fan noise 30dB/memory stick/w/t conversion lens...
    missing from the vpl-hs10 vs. vpl-vw12ht:
    cinema filter/DRC-MF(digital reality creation-multi function[adjustable]) and gamma control software-which should allow for major picture tweaking on vpl-12ht.
    REALLY low cost-will know selling price soon.
    avman."
    I got it from here Neil, I hope you get to see this:
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0&pagenumber=2
    720p