What's new

I give up with 480p (and other progressive scan issues) (1 Viewer)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben

This may be a big part of the problem. You're dealing with distinctions (between 480i and 480p sources) that often produce fairly subtle results, but the adjustments to your TV are being done on an ad hoc basis. I'm not familar with your Samsung model, but many TVs require separate adjustment for 480p and 480i inputs (I know my Toshiba does). You may need a professional calibration before you can truly see the advantages of a 480p source.

Also, as noted in previous posts, not all p/s players are created equal.

And finally, 480p images often strike people as "softer" than what they're used to. That's because most of us have been accustomed to a lot of artificial sharpness in our TV pictures, which gives the illusion of greater detail but doesn't actually provide any.

There are a lot of variables. At this point, all anyone can do is point them out to you.

M.

JamesGL

Stunt Coordinator
Anthony,

Do you know what deinterlacer is being used with that Onkyo model you just purchased?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks