What's new

I give up with 480p (and other progressive scan issues) (1 Viewer)

Tom Martin

Stunt Coordinator
Yep. So far i tried 4 different progressive scan dvd players with my Samsung HCN5527W. The image was always sharper in 480i. 480p always made the image a little blurry. why? i don't know! why fight it? i'm just leaving it in 480i from now on.

John S

Senior HTF Member
If they were all "average" quality players, I can totally see that being true.

That Samsung is giving you 480p off of the 480i, so your not really giving it up. But that Samsung has a high quality de-interlacer, that makes it so only very high end players are going to best it anyways.

anthony_b

Screenwriter
Tom, I'm with you. I'm on my third DVD player, I wish I never would have sold my old interlaced player..:frowning: .

My TV (JVC 48WP74)looks so much better when using an interlaced DVD player.

The Void

Agent
Real Name
Jason
The cheaper players I tried always looked worse in progressive than interlaced mode. That is because the deinterlacer in the TV is doing a better job than the one in the DVD player.

I had a Denon 910 and noticed and improvement in progressive mode. That is because the Faroudja DCDi is better than the deinterlacer in my TV. I returned the 910 for a Denon 2200 and it is even better overall. It uses the Silicon Image Sil 504 deinterlacer.

If the deinterlacer in your TV is decent, which it probably is, you won't get any improvement with a cheap progressive scan player. To see an improvement you'd need to move up to a player with Faroudja DCDi like the Denon 910($299), Mitsubishi 8040($250), or an older Panasonic like the XP30/50, RP82/62 or the Denon 1600. The higher end Denons with the Silicon Image chip are as good or better than Faroudja.

Anyway, you'd probably have to pay around $250 to get a better progressive picture. You have to decide whether or not the improvement is worth the price.

BTW, my TV is a Hitachi 51S700 CRT Rear projection.

anthony_b

Screenwriter
Well, in my latest adventure in DVD players I just ordered an Onkyo dvps-301 from JandR.com...It had a very favorable review at Home theater magazine, so lets see happens.

EduardoBonifaz

Stunt Coordinator
I had the oposite experience, the picture look a liitle soft to me, but more film-like (with a good transfer), with my new PScan DVD (PHILCO PH869), I´ve noticed some difference subtle but it´s there. Matter of tastes I think, but there are important factors to be aware of,
1.Display size and type
2.deinterlacer quality
3.correct set calibration
4.Room conditions (light, wall colors, etc)
5.(the most annoying) The conscious you are about the picture flaws ! (CUE, EE, tad ringing, aliasing, etc) once you´ve noticed them, they can drive you nuts!

Tom Martin

Stunt Coordinator
I ended up buying the Sony DVP-NS725P DVD player. It enables you to choose your progressive scan (480)based on whether the DVD you're watching is TV or Film based. I was pulling my hair out after watching the 2nd season Angel DVD and it was all choppy, before figuring this out. Anyway does this make the player any better or worse?

Choppy what do you mean?

I have a Sony NS600P and Angel season 2 was fine except for the extreme amount of Chroma bug. I changed it for a XP30 and all thing are #1 now. My 600p didn't have any video/film setting so.

Angel season 2 is 16x9 anamorphic so it must be FILM based

John S

Senior HTF Member
I think that would be 30fps -vs- 24fps, probably deserves at least a try back and forth on most any DVD as to which is best. The transfer methods are rarely disclosed on DVD's is all.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
With a good Faroudja-based DVD player you don't have to switch between progressive and interlaced like the poor quality Sonys.

Tom Martin

Stunt Coordinator
it has something to do with how many fps. choppy as it looked like it had a strobing effect. but this new sony player looks super so far. i pulled the front panel off my tv and adjusted some knobe till certain points i picked out looked crystal clear. it looks wonderful. sony seems to be getting a bad rap, but so far this has been the best dvd player.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
480p is more sensitive to marginal cables than 480i. If you use a A/V cable set with red, white, and yellow plugs, you will get a watchable picture but you can expect the problem you are describing. At least try an "HDTV grade" cable for the Y (green to green) connection.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Tom Martin

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, so i got the Denon 900 with the Faroudja DCDi. The picture looks as cloudy as ever. Ex: in chapter 21 of Star Wars the Clone Wars, the grass is MUCH more defined in 480i. In 480p the blades of grass sort of blend together. Now what?????

John S

Senior HTF Member
A 900 may have not been the best one to try...
The 910 is supposed to be much better.

I am entering into the 480p DVD set for native widescreen very soon.

Your experience is not typical across most models and manufactures.

I guess nobody else here has the same make and model, using 480p with good success???

Tom Martin

Stunt Coordinator
according to the tech at the store i bought it, the internal stuff between the 900 and 910 is the same.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
Well that guy at the store was dead wrong! The 900 has a considerably inferior design compared to the 910, the secrets report verified that. The 910 uses a new version of the Faroudja chipset for example, its not the same design at all!

Tom Martin

Stunt Coordinator
a technician is coming to my house today to look at the setup. i'll see what happens after that. besides, i ended up with subtitles popping up during a movie so back it goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks