I give up on Xbox live....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Derrik Draven, Oct 14, 2002.

1. Derrik Draven

Derrik Draven Supporting Actor

Chris
    For 2 days now I haven't been able to make this beta test kit work.
    I run DSL into my Cisco router. From there, it goes into a Netgear 4 port hub. 2 pc's run into the hub with zero problems. I thought I'd use the last port for my Xbox.
    Well, when you try to setup your 1st account with "Live", it gives a green on the cables, green on the IP config and green on the DNS resolved.
    But, it just doesn't ever get past the last part. All I ever get is XBox Live not found. Over and over and over. Said to check back later. Well, after 1 full day on no Live service, I figured something else was wrong.
    So, call customer service. Well...not all the people there really know what's going on. I got some teen-ish sounding girl that didn't know jack. Said they've been having problems with Netgear hubs, I need Windows 98 or higher, maybe I have a corrupted file on my pc, ect.
    Just to make Xbox Live work??? I need 98???? Gosh, I didn't know that Live was a winblows based product. Damn, now I KNOW I'm sending it back.
    Anyhoo, after 20 minutes of non-existing customer service, I figure the hell with the hub, I'll just run it straight into the router. HA!!! As soon as I do that, I can't even get past the 1st step on the Live setup. It says that the cables aren't hooked up right.
    This is how "easy" it is to setup Live?
    ...should be a big hit...
    Anyways; last resort, turn to forum. Any of you guys have an idea what the hell could be the problem?
    Stick a fork in me; I'm done.
    [​IMG]

2. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

Did you check to make sure that the Live was getting an IP from the router by looking in the router config table. Also maybe try assigning it a static IP, also try resetting the router, and finally if all else fails box up the live kit and send it to me and I will be glad to test it out for you, and I would even pay you for it!

3. Mike Pattee

Mike Pattee Second Unit

Have you tried just plugging straight into your dsl?

4. Derrik Draven

Chris

5. Mike Pattee

Mike Pattee Second Unit

I would try getting it to work with a single pc to dsl first. then go from there. You might also try calling them again or checking on the forums.

6. millercv

millercv Second Unit

if you go straight to the DSL I bet you will need to use a crossover cable. If you don't have one put the DSL into the uplink port on the Netgear hub and then the xbox as the only thing in the hub and see what happens...

7. Derrik Draven

Chris
    Any of you guys using Netgear hubs that have had similar problems? Xbox Live Cust Support says they're having trouble with Netgear equipment.

I'm thinkin' about buying a new hub. I hate to do that though because I just get the feeling that it's not the problem here.

8. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

It's more likely something with your router, and not your hub. A Hub is just passing data around. There's not much that it could be screwing up.

9. ruhrie

ruhrie Agent

Derrick,

I know on some routers you have to open up certain ports to allow the internet to see other devices, i.e. printers PS2 and so forth. I hope that helps,

Rich

10. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

Derrik, I'm using a Netgear RP614NA router with no problems, but if you look on the beta test web site, there is a list of Netgear routers with which MS has had problems, along with fixes for them. If you tell me your router model number, I'll look it up for you.

11. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

Use a crossover cable like millercv said, that should work. It won't work with a regular ethernet cable.

12. Dave Falasco

Oh, sorry, I misread your post and thought you were using a Netgear router. Well, if you post your router and hub I'll look them up anyway just to see if there is a known problem.

13. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

Off topic, its good to know someone else is using the 614 with no problems as thats the router that I have.

14. RayKk

RayKk Stunt Coordinator

IM also having a problem hooking up, I have cable, I have static ip and dynamic dns, xbox says ip cannot be resolved, I tried auto config and manual, any ideas??

15. Brandon_H

Brandon_H Stunt Coordinator

Not related to Xbox Live per se, but I had a hell of a time with my Netgear router and my PS2. Just couldn't get voice chat in SOCOM to work.

I replaced the Netgear with one of those new Microsoft Wireless Base Stations -- essentially a 4-port switch, firewall router, and 802.11b access point in one box. Worked like a charm as soon as I hooked it up, and I didn't have to forward any ports or DMZ anything to get PS2 functional.

Those routers also loudly proclaim to be "Xbox compatible." If you shop around, you might find one pretty cheap. I saw a package at Target for the router AND a USB 802.11b adapter for $75 over the weekend.

16. Derrik Draven

Chris
    Brandon - I think I'm going to follow your lead.

Thanks for everyone that's tried to help out. I think it is, in fact, a problem with the router. I have a Cisco 675.

Anyhoo...I finally got ahold of someone at Xbox Cust Support that knew more than the others. He also mentioned the port problem, ie. some of them need to be opened that only Xbox's use and not usually used by pc's.

Of course when I call my ISP and ask them how to get to my Cbos to config the ports, they refuse that info and, they say that every single port on my router is open and that Xbox cust support always blames it on unopened ports.

Well, screw my isp. I think there are some unopened ports.

Correct me if I'm wrong but, if my Xbox is having no problems resolving the IP config info, and the DNS info, that means that it IS, in fact, going out on the net and getting the domain name server info. Right? So, it MUST be able to reach out beyond my router but, whatever info the Xbox service is using is not getting through the unopened ports. DNS info is common so, it gets through.

I think the Cisco is gonna go.

Almost forgot, for all you guys that got in on the OCT 7th beta release, did anyone get their t-shirt? Wasn't there supposed to be one packaged with the beta kit? Just wondering. I didn't get one.

17. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

People in the Oct 7th group will not be getting T-shirts, and I have heard that you didn't get ReVolt either.

18. Dave Falasco

I got in a few weeks before October 7th, and I got two packages. The first was my beta test kit with the headset and (ugly) carrying case, which included Revolt and NFL Fever 2003. A week or so later I got another kit with the T-shirt, Moto, and Whacked. So I guess if you got Moto but no shirt, then no shirt will be forthcoming. [​IMG]
    FWIW, the shirt is nothing you could ever wear outside of the house without being immediately labeled as an ultra-dork. My wife won't be seen with me if I'm wearing it. I hope you get your shirt anyway, but if not, you ain't missing much. [​IMG]