What's new

I get audio but no video (1 Viewer)

Marcus D

Agent
I have set up my receiver, DVD player and RF modulator with all of the appropriate connections. From the receiver to RF modulator, I have 3 connections in the VCR 1 Out on the receiver and the other 3 connections on the RF Modulator go into Audio (L/R) and Video. For the DVD to Receiver cable I have on the back of the DVD player it is the Stereo/Audio Out(L/R) and TV/Video Out. On the receiver, red/white/yellow plugged into DVD ports. I get audio when I play the DVD but I don't get video. I turn my TV to Channel 3 and the RF Modulator is on and set to Ch.3. What am I missing?

DanaA

Screenwriter
Is your DVD player one with progressive scan? If so, you might wish to check if it is set correctly for non-progressive scan. Also, try the video 1 or 2 channels on your TV if it has them.

DanaA

Screenwriter
Also, if possible, just plug the yellow, white, and red cables directly from the DVD player to the TV. I must be missing something else, but I'm sure others will chime in.

And, don't feel bad, when I got my first DVD player, I had the same types of problems. Probably most of us do. :)

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Marcus, do you get video on your other sources?

Don't worry about the progressive output, there is no way to output that via yellow video cable (composite) and it should be defaulted to off anyway.

Also, it is possible that like some receivers, you can choose separate audio and video sources, sometimes you have to hold the button, or hit it multiple times, or some other combination to switch both the audio AND the video. I would take a peek in your manual.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Double check to be sure you have:

DVD player yellow video out jack to receiver yellow input jack say Video 1. Choice of connecting DVD player red/white audio out jacks to matching (Video 1) audio in jacks or connecting DVD player optical out jack to receiver optical in jack)

Receiver video out or monitor out yellow jack to RF modulator yellow jack. Nothing need be connected to RF modulator red and white jacks unles you want the sound coming out of the TV speakers too.

RF modulator antenna out coax jack to TV antenna input coax jack.

If one of these connections was forgotten, things won't work.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

If the receiver has special VCR jacks, also add:

VCR yellow video out jack to receiver yellow input jack VCR1.

Receiver VCR1 out jack to VCR yellow video in jack.

In the above arrangement you would select (at the receiver) Video 1 for the DVD player and VCR1 for the VCR.

StephenHa

Second Unit
my dvd player doesn't have 2 yellow outs and it sounds like that's what you have bypass the stereo for the time being and see if it works, if it does, then just use the red and white and forget teh yellow to the stereo (your not using it as a switcher anyway)

Marcus D

Agent
Yes you can. I had to adjust from my wall to my VCR to RF Modulator "To TV" and "Ant In" cable connections. I also plugged the Receiver VCR1 out jack to VCR yellow video in jack. Then I was able to get a picture.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks