What's new

I gave a girl "THE TEST" (1 Viewer)

JamieD

Supporting Actor
I would not be able to date someone who had a completely different (read simplified) taste in Movies/Music. Obviously, some differences are going to be there, and you have to deal with them, but since listening to Music, watching Movies, and reading are pretty much the only things I do when not working or playing sports, if they hate what I like, then I'm sorta stuck. :)

Ross Williams

Supporting Actor
Wow, I feel pretty lucky right now. My SO's favorite movies are Amelie, The Matrix, Magnolia and many others that I would put near the top of my list. It's a very rare occasion that we more than slightly disagree on a film. The only thing she won't watch with me is horror films. (Only because she views most them as a comedy, she does appreciate the good ones though.)

We feed each others addiction. We are both constantly buying DVDs. We are both on the lookout for good films coming out and will always get excited about each other's choices. She had absolutely no foreknowledge of Lord of the Rings, but I got her in a frenzy to see it through my excitement.

At this point I can't imagine being with somebody that didn't share my tastes in film. It would seriously agrivate me, as film is my #1 interest in life. She feels the same way. If we go more than 2 days without watching a movie together, we get quite ancy.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I met my ex in line at the New Directors/New Films Festival. You'd think we would still be together...

Oh well, it was five good years and she still comes over to watch foreign films...

Ted

Joe6pack99

Second Unit
Real Name
Jarett
nono guys lol my test is STAR WARS! If they like well they pretty much passed. Bonus= Fight Club!

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I was discussing the "test" just the other day with a friend. I am currently without a SO (anybody wanna help me out there :)), but I don't think I could be with someone who isn't at least interested in movies. They don't have to have the same taste as me, but I'd at least like someone who I can go catch the latest flick with.

Scott Bourden

Second Unit
I posted earlier that our (my SO and my own) opinions on movies are on different ends of the spectrum...

But today, I was the most happy I have been in a long time... Her mother was asking her what she wants for xmas (early, I know, but theya re weird like that).... She said a couple DVD's, and then, out of nowhere, INSISTED that they be widescreen. Her mother said "No I hate them, I want my whole screen" and my girlfriend proceeded to get angry at first, then try to explain the diffence (I had no idea she even knew, I once had to explain iot to her, and didn't think she cared)... None the less, her mother did not understand, so she proceeded to say "If you get me DVD's and they are not widescreen, then are going in the garbage. Period"

I was so happy, I giggled like a schoolgirl :b

Natalie M

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all, Just thought I would chime in. First off, I married a Star Trek lover, his nickname is actually Spock. Anyway, I dont go for the chick flicks myself, I like explosions, violence, and comedy. I was basically forbidden to watch t.v. or movies as a child, so im still catching up on the good stuff.

My hubby flipped when I said I had never heard of "fast times at Ridgemont high", but I finally watched it. I guess it was more hilarious back in its time, but I still remember having a teacher like Mr.hand!
Love the music score in the movie!

But my hubby really clicked over having the same tastes in music.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
With her morbid fear or pretentiousness, it would be quite the feat to get her to watch and opera.
So don’t tell her. My wife got my son (then in Junior High) to watch a PBS telecast of The Ring with me, by just telling him the plot: gold, dwarves, giants, magic rings, spears and swords, power, betrayal love, death, etc (I think that she left out the incest). Strangely she did not watch and did not become a fan of Wagner until seeing The Flying Dutchman in Dallas, followed a few years later with a complete cycle of the The Ring in Adelaide, SA, Pierre Boulz conducting.

I’d say no one could make a plot description of The Magic Flute seem pretentious. Quite the reverse.

Felipe S

Stunt Coordinator
my 2 cents...

She doesn't have to like all the movies I like or even like movies in general... as long as she accepts me liking it and being fine with it. Of course I'm not gonna push her to enjoy everything I enjoy, just as I wouldn't want her to push me to enjoy whatever she likes. As long as there's compromise and understanding, things can definitely work.

(taste in movies is not what binds two people together, cuz if it is, then your priorities are set in the wrong place)

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
I once dated a woman whose favorite films were:
BLAZING SADDLES
BARON MUNCHAUSEN
and
FIGHT CLUB
:eek:
I will always remember her as "the one that got away".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks