What's new

I gave a girl "THE TEST" (1 Viewer)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Boy...you can sure tell that HTF is comprised of nearly all males. Otherwise, surely this thread would by now have been ripped to shreds by members of the distaff sex!
Are some of you guys REALLY this shallow?! You really like a girl, enjoy her company, have fun together, but because of the proverbial "Test" (which she failed in your eyes) you cannot have a meaningful relationship with her. You must be kidding! (I think you're pulling our chains a bit with this...you gotta be. :) )
"Sorry, honey, you're perfect in every other way. But you don't like Fight Club. So we're through! Don't let the door to my incredibly-awesome Home Theater hit you in your picture-perfect hind quarters as you leave!"
[Fighting back tears and biting knuckles as she departs] .... "If only she liked Fight Club." :frowning:
:laugh:

CameronS

Supporting Actor
I really didn't think there would be any confusion over this, but I can see I was wrong.
-----------
Thread Disclaimer:
This thread was created all in good fun, and should not be taken as seriously as a few have already. There was also no intended bias towards gender; it just happens that most of the replies have been from men referring to women.
-----------
On the other hand, "The Test" is very real. We are attracted to people who share the same interests. The subject matter presented in this thread was merely an exaggeration focused on the topic of movies with the intent to create humor, or possibly, even laughter. This is, after all, The Home Theater Forum... the home of many movie geeks.
Thank you for your time.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Boy...you can sure tell that HTF is comprised of nearly all males. Otherwise, surely this thread would by now have been ripped to shreds by members of the distaff sex!
Not from me. For a movie buff, it would be ABSOLUTE HELL to be in a relationship with someone who didn't like movies, or who only liked bad movies. It can certainly be done, but I wouldn't want to deal with it.
It's a matter of compatibility, really. My first husband wasn't into movies much one way or the other, wheras I was a movie fanatic. Even though he was the one who originally wanted to see Star Wars, I was the one who became a fanatic who wanted to see it over and over again. We fought bitterly about that. My son and I went countless times and bonded like crazy over it, while hubby stayed home and became distant. That sounds terrible, and it makes ME the selfish one, I know, but it was just a symptom of other problems blatent and brewing. We divorced.
My current husband (of 20 years) bonded over 3 major things: Music (we both loved Kate Bush and Peter Gabriel), Movies (we knew we were compatible when we both cried over The Elephant Man, laughed our heads off at 48 Hours, and found we both like to sit in the front of the theater), and Books (especially our life-long habits of reading while eating, which other people had always told us was a rude and uncouth thing to do).
We have our differences, even in movies (I'm not into some of the comedies he likes, such as the Marx Brothers, and he'd rather not see Heavy, Depressing Dramas like The Ice Storm. Still, we're on the same page wrt most movies, and have pretty much the same favorite films (such as Brazil, and recent films like Moulin Rouge and Lord of the Rings) and neither is interested in furthering Tom Green's career.
Oh, and I saw and loved Fight Club and Three Kings first, and then made sure he went to see them too, and he loved them. I knew he would. :emoji_thumbsup: I haven't yet gotten him to see Swingers, which I thought was great, but he will. Too many movies, too little time...
So I don't blame Cameron one bit. Life for a movie buff is joyously wonderful when you have someone who cares to share it with.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
This thread was created all in good fun, and should not be taken as seriously as a few have already.
Yeah...I thought it probably was. No hard feelings, my man....OK? :)
Loved your last post, Vickie!
I, too, can recall going to see Star Wars: ANH several times in 1977. Just something about it that DEMANDED multiple viewings.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
My SO scores an A+. She is very heavily into sci-fi, fantasy, action, as well as comedy.

Stephanie T.

Stunt Coordinator
Incidentally, Cameron, what are your favorite flicks? I don't suppose High Fidelity would be one of them?
Robert Crawford, good call there on Diner. Very appropos.
FWIW, I liked Fight Club very much, but I'm really not at liberty to discuss it. ;)

Scott Bourden

Second Unit
My girlfriend more or less fails, with only the slimmest hope of redemption :thumbsdown:
Princess Bride
Scream Series
Know what you did Last Summer
I Am Sam
Flowers in the Attic
Hannibal (but didn't like SotL much) :frowning: :angry:
But there is the odd "good" movie she likes, Seven, Fight Club, Sixth Sense, a bit of Americanized anime (Akira, Ninja Scroll, Blackjack) (Keep in mind, she's only 19, so I guess *hope* it's the end of the teenage girl syndrome) :)
It's video games that we share our common interest, this past week it would have taken a wrecking bar to pry the Xbox controller away from her, and her current Silent Hill 2 addiction
:D

TheoGB

Screenwriter
"Sorry, honey, you're perfect in every other way. But you don't like Fight Club. So we're through! Don't let the door to my incredibly-awesome Home Theater hit you in your picture-perfect hind quarters as you leave!"
[Fighting back tears and biting knuckles as she departs] .... "If only she liked Fight Club."
Oddly, Fight Club represents a certain psychological outlook on life.
But hey, I wasn't saying I necessarily did this - just that you could surely boil it down to one movie!! :D

Michael Caicedo

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael Caicedo
My wife's report card:
Loves Sci-Fi......A+
Loves Art House/Indie....A+
For the most part we like the same Comedy.....B
Likes most but grossed out by graphic Horror.....B
Loves Foreign....A+
Likes some but rolls eyes at most Romantic/Chick Flicks....B
Likes Most Action Adventure....A
Has never seen Fight Club....A+ :)
Overall: A

Martin Fontaine

Supporting Actor
That a future girlfriend likes the same movie as me is not that much important. That she accepts to see them in OAR and OSL is critical though...

Craig

Second Unit
While Fight Club is a pretty good test, I'd urge that nobody be judged on one movie alone. I've known several people that liked Fight Club who otherwise had pretty good taste in films. :D

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
Heck, my wife turned this test around on me when we first met. She has to admit one of the reasons she stuck around was because I had already purchased 'Gone With the Wind' on LaserDisc. She had never known a guy who would even admit to watching it, let alone own it.

In the ensuing years I've done my job well and have treated her to her first showings of the 'Star Wars' films and now she's as fanatical about them as I am. Now, if only she would watch horror movies....

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
My fiancee has managed to survive despite rather low scores on the test.
I don't think its crazy at all, or a music test, etc. Look, if you are in to certain things you want your SO to be able to share them with you too.
If it were the only thing, I wouldn't be engaged. But it (and music) are the one area that I would describe as less than perfect in our relationship. She lets me have my space and will indulge me on going to more arty stuff (though she gave up on Yi Yi at the intermission and waited in the lobby...bored :frowning: ). She understands the HT and let's me spend money on it. She sometimes will sit and watch a film with me. And since we have other areas of the house to watch TV, she let's me have my films while she watches Real World, Big Brother and every stinking Lifetime film (she's also quite the reader).
She makes up for it by letting me drag her to FOTR despite little interest in fantasy/SF. So at least she is willing to try, which is all I ask.
(we do enjoy Xanadu together as well as Dazed and Confused, Princess Bride, and Shawshank Redemption)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks