I fried my 2nd Studio 100 v1 crossover

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Baxter, May 26, 2002.

1. Dan Baxter

Dan Baxter Agent

About 6 months ago one of my Paradigm Studio 100 v1 crossover's fried. The copper coil chokes on the crossover completely melted. My speakers were just over the 5 year mark so a new crossover cost me $120. When I received the new crossover I noticed that the coil chokes were almost double in size. This might suggest a design flaw, or under design in the original crossover unit. The new crossover was still marked V.1 however it was obvious they made a lot of changes to the coils that melted on my orginal unit. Well yesterday, my other speaker's crossover failed while listening to music at reference level. The funny thing is the speakers were crossed over at the preamp at 60Hz. This time the coil that controls the mid range fried. It seems to me that the original crossover's in the first studio 100 v.1's were under designed. Over the past 5 years the coil probably overheated & cooled down until they couldn't take it any more. Has anyone else ever had a Paradigm studio crossover melt down? I'm going to call Paradigm tomorrow and hopefully they will replace the crossover for free. A design flaw In a $2000 speaker is unacceptable.

2. Tony Meconiates

Tony Meconiates Stunt Coordinator

curious, what amp you driving the 100's with?

3. Dan Baxter

Dan Baxter Agent

I'm using a Parasound 2205AT amp (225x5)..

Dan

4. Marc H

Marc H Second Unit

Did you hear any noises when it happened? Any damage to the drivers?

5. Dan Baxter

Dan Baxter Agent

Nope, everything sound great. I'm simply noticed less midrange and a wierd smell coming from my speaker. I tested the speakers and everything seems fine.

Dan

6. Dan Baxter

Dan Baxter Agent

I just got off the phone with Paradigm, they refuse to believe that there was any type of design flaw with the old crossover, so it looks like I'm out another $120. I still find it strange that the replacment crossovers are so much larger. The coils on the old crossover are at least twice as small as the replacement crossover. I was playing it loud but not that loud (80db refernece level). The speakers were also crossed over at 60Hz. I also had my amp checked out for any type of DC problems.

7. Stephen Houdek

Stephen Houdek Second Unit

S
    Doesn't sound like their strong point is customer service. Something to consider when making purchases in the future. With all of the Paradime fans on this forum I'd have to think they would be more responsive. Even more so as this is the second one you've fried.

8. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

$120 vs you possibly not buying Paradigm in the future, what a great business model. How the hell do you fry just the crossover? It does sound like a flaw in the crossover design, especially if the replacement is much larger.

If this happened with an SVS you can be sure that they'd consider replacing the faulty part at cost/free depending on the situation.