What's new

I found "Rescuers" and "The Love Bug" in a retail store! (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I just got back from an early morning romp to Wal-Mart to look for the latest releases.

While I was there, I stumbled across two copies of The Rescuers in the bestsellers/new releases display, at the bottom. It wasn't priced, but a quick stroll to the "check the prices" scanner display showed it was just $14.44!! :eek:

Not finding certain new releases in stock, I asked a lady working the section about them. While I was going down my list, I mentioned The Love Bug for giggles. She said "no". Five minutes later, as she was about to ring me up, a supervisor-type man came along with three Disney titles to put on the shelf. One of them was The Love Bug! ONE COPY! He first said it was "new today", but then said it was among the "back supply" (the other two titles were Pete's Dragon and Snowball Express).

It was $14.44, too...for a 2-disc SE!!! :eek:

Naturally I took them both.

Nice people at Wal-Mart helping me at 4:30 in the morning, by-the-way.

Keep a sharp eye out at Wal-Mart for these, and probably at other retailers too. I'm so happy to get these, I cannot tell you!

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
...and, for anyone curious, yes the "scene in question" (the topless chick in the window...link includes two pictures) has been simply blacked out on those two frames. Now it looks like a bunch of other dark windows (though darker than most). You can compare at the 0:29:20 mark.

Oh, well...we knew that was gonna happen. I'll hang onto my VHS. ;)

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
David,
Wasn't the "scene in question" something that was added post theatrical release? Not that it would have been all that noticeable at normal speed, but that was my understanding. Anyway, I'm glad you are holding onto your tape if for no other reason than to have proof that it did indeed happen. :)

Regards,

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
They had them at my local Wal-Mart, too. It looks like they arrived in a box with a bunch of the titles recently re-priced to $14.44, and they marked them all the same. What a great deal! Thanks for the heads up, David.

Addendum: My guilty conscience is making me confess that I picked up the foolscreen "Snowball Express" for $14.44 as well. I just couldn't resist as it is perhaps my favorite bad movie from my pre-teen years.

Regards,

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
No Love Bug in Canada yet, other than Amazon.ca's $40 import version...:frowning:

BrianP

Supporting Actor
I called a local Walmart and they still didn't have either DVD in stock, or any idea if they were going to get any soon. Might have to try calling a few more Walmart stores in the area.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Just thought I'd add that I saw Love Bug at the local W-M today too, also for $14.44. Maybe that's why no one else has them - W-M monopolized all the DVDs!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
also found in delaware county pa. but they have them on a seperate shelf near the cd's.

it also has mostly only disney dvd's on it all priced at 14.44.

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
Wasn't the "scene in question" something that was added post theatrical release? Not that it would have been all that noticeable at normal speed, but that was my understanding.
No, it's been there the whole time until now.

Rob T

Screenwriter
I got The Rescuers on wednesday at Wal-mart, but I'm still looking for The Love Bug.

Aaron Cohen

Second Unit
Thanks for the heads up David! I got the Love Bug and can't believe it was only 14.44! This disc is awesome and it is one of my favorite movies!

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find The Rescuers but I'll keep looking.

This is a stellar disc by Disney. I also noticed they had the Old Yeller 2-disc set....anyone have this and want to coment on it? I was considering picking it up as well.

Seth T

Stunt Coordinator
A friend found The Rescuers at a Walmart here for me.

The print appears to be fairly dirty though... :frowning:

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I also noticed they had the Old Yeller 2-disc set....anyone have this and want to coment on it? I was considering picking it up as well.
Great set. At $14.44, it's a screaming bargain. Pick it up.

Same goes for the other three "Vault Disney" releases from last year (Swiss Family Robinson, The Parent Trap, and Pollyanna). These sets are all top-notch. If you have any interest at all in these films, you should grab 'em at that price while they last.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I agree that every one of the Vault Disney titles is worth owning. Old Yeller's transfer shows its age more than the others, but is still good. It's also the first letterboxed (16x9 enhanced, too) appearance of this title on video of which I am aware.

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks