What's new

i found inexpensive component cables at blockbuster but... (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
but should i buy them.
they are 6 ft long and made by jensen and are about $13.

so what would be wrong with me getting these.

i cant afford the $50 or so for more expensive cables that are shorter from places like bettercables and monster.

anyone ever use these?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
3 foot-- 36.95
thanks for trying but i cant do that.

i realize that is a very reasonable price but i don't have that knid of dough right now.

thats why i'm hoping someone knows about these jensen cables at blockbuster.

Jason GT

Second Unit
Depends on what your other equipment is.

If you've got a 50" set and a good DVD player, there probably is benefit in going for a nicer cable.

However, if you're just running DVD to 20 incher, you will probably not see much, if any difference, between grades of component cable. Saving your $13 odd bucks might be the best thing to do if you're not sure.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Jensen, I believe is under the umbrella of Recoton. Other comapies that are also part of Recoton include Acoustic Research and NHT. Personally though, I don't like the appearance of their connectors.
well shorter can be neater looking, but whether 0.5, 1.0, 2.0, it's still short from the point of the signal. Also from the point of bandwidth considerations from your DVD (it is after all, the limiting factor) you don't need that much. once a cable meets minimum specifications, going past confers upon you bragging rights.
I believe you'll find the following to exceed the capabilities of your DVD.
12 foot GE's from Target for $20. They're made well, very nice connectors, and look sharp. Sometime over a year ago, a fella posted over at AudioAsylum a 'review' of these cables but left out the fact they were GE and simply dealt on the construction aspects. Everybody oohed and ahhed and got themselves all it a tizzy. Amazing...sounds like great quality...oooh the picture looked three dimensional...the usual stuff. When the poster revealed they were GE's, well my word! You'd have thought the Klan came to town. So, can ya spring for $20?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
$20 is reasonable for me. 12 ft is amazingly long.

i have a tosh 56x81 tv and have panny 91 dvd player.
also i get hd from my mits directv box and the motorola cable hd box.

i'm very tempted to get the $13 cables from BB and get one of those 12 ft ones from target to run from my denon 3300 that i use to switch the hd inputs and the dvd player.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
chu i did find one of those 12 footers at target and bought them so i'll see for myself how they work.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
One thing to note about the GE cables from target is that some are the basic silver/grey pvc coating and some have a grey mesh coating and clear PVC over that. Pretty sure it's a completely cosmetic thing since i've seen both with the same SKU at the same store for the same price, but the silver mesh looks way cooler :)

That said, NXG cables are a great way to go. They have two lines, their regular and their "Sapphire" line. The regular line will run you around $7 or $8 online for a 2m component cable and is of the same build quality of the lower end Monster and AR stuff. The "Sapphire" will run you $10 - $15 for a 2m component cable and is of the quality of the AR Pro and middle end monster stuff. They both appear to use the same blue RG-6 cable. The regular stuff has gold connects with molded plastic over them. The "Sapphire" series has metal barrel connectors and gold connections. You'll only find them online, so it's better to buy multiple cables or the shipping will be clost to the price of 1 cable. I was able to get every cable for my system (11 total) inthe regular line for around $55 shipped. Do a search on shopping.yahoo.com.

Hope this helps :)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i saw them too.
alittle more expensive in store.

there is also another brand at wal-mart, i thing it may be panasonic or GE.

About the same price.

Tim Morton

Stunt Coordinator
I would buy a good quality s-video cable for 20 bucks before a cheapo component cable for $6. JMO

Bill McCamy

Second Unit
Real Name
Gasim de Paris
Those Target cables seem a good buy at $20 for 12 feet. But then, I always have thought wire is wire.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i cant compare the target wires to other over priced component cables but i easily see an improvement over the regular audio/video cables i had been using for component in/outs.

andrew_walker

Auditioning
I purchased the GE cables from target about a year ago and the picture has been very good on my 32" JVC D-Series.

Has anyone compared these GE cables to any other higher end cables? i would be interested in the results.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
A buddy of mine purchased a set thinking he could save some $$ instead of spending some on a set of avcable component cables. The picture was noticably worse so he returned them. He uses a 65" Hitachi Widescreen and a Denon 900 Dvd player for reference.

Now for someone using a 32" tv I might be inclined to keep the GE's simply because you may not have a resolving enough device to tell the difference but we debunked this too when he tried them on his 32" Sony bedroom set which was hooked up to his old player(jvc not sure on model).

http://www.avcable.com if you want to check their stuff out.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
well you could've saved some money and gotten 6 foot of 75 ohm over at www.action-electronics.com/video.htm for $1.75 each. you could then paint some colors on the cable ends and call them 'hand made' :)
Many people have difficulty telling the difference between svideo and component cables. Certainly one could get the same excellent video performance from GE as using 3 runs of RG-6 coaxial cable at about $0.12/foot per run. Faithfully transmitting a signal from a DVD player such as in the case of the Denon 900 which has a stated 54 mHz bandwidth is not a taxing proposition unless you've damaged your cable. We're not talking a lot of bandwidth...a little more than your computer monitor.
In photography, where there's a thriving competitive market for aftermarket lenses (Sigmas, etc. for Nikon), reviews of lenses include performance measurements involving such things as:
flare
resolution at various f-stops (apertures)
image comparison at center and edges
sharpness
etc.
Typically, a thorough review includes actual photographs for people to look at in order to understand the performance and limitations of the lenses. It's a pretty cut throat market after all. Sadly such objective reporting where people would be interested in the real-world performance of something like a cable hooked up to typical equipment is all but lacking. Little of sense to guide consumers other than comments like 'more three dimensional images' or blacker blacks. Issues of economics or issues of obfuscation?
I can see the use of a 'broadcast' quality cable for longish runs from satellite feeds but they do tend to be a bit stiff...kinda like what Paul Castellano looked like when they laid him out in Brooklyn after he was executed by dissident underworld characters.
Hey if you feel guilty about spending too little print the following price tag out and attach it to your cables. Tell people that's Turkish Dollars and you had them imported from overseas.

Leon O

Stunt Coordinator
accessories4less.com usually has great prices on cables. The A/R Pro series are decent and not too costly. I'm using the now.

Leon

Albert Damico

Stunt Coordinator
cables are cables. Expensive cables don't give you any better picture quality over inexpensive cables. Generally speaking, and in my opinion.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
cables are cables. Expensive cables don't give you any better picture quality over inexpensive cables. Generally speaking, and in my opinion.
I'm afraid I must disagree.

I usually find people with this opinion have tube-type televisions in the 20-35" range. And their experience has been with low-grade sources like CATV box's or VCR's.

This is a very insensitive system compared to a 50" projector or HDTV with a good quality source (DVD or HDTV receiver). These newer systems are VERY sensitive and the cable connecting things does make a visible difference.

We had a fellow member a few weeks ago who used the Avia setup DVD on the fine-focus test pattern. He saw a visible difference in small detail when he switched from Radio Shack grade component cables to a custom cable. And this was on something like a 35" tube system.

So just because you "see" picture and colors with inexpensive cables does not mean you are not loseing some picture quality. Use a good source like a DVD on a test pattern frozen on the screen. Look at the intersecting lines of constrasting colors - here is where the fine detail will be lost with a poor-quality cable. This is hard to spot just watching moving pictures.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks