I found another OAR movie channel

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ken Garrison, Jul 11, 2002.

1. Ken Garrison

Ken Garrison Supporting Actor

I found a movie channel on 550 on directv called IFC. They kinda follow the same routine like Fox Movie Channel does. Show OAR at one time, and show P&S on another. They show more modern films than TCM and FMC do. But, hey, since they show OAR, add that channel to your Favorite list.

2. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

We used to get IFC here, but Time Warner dropped it for analog cable as an incentive to get digital cable.[​IMG] It was one of the regularly watched channels in our household, too.

3. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

Sadly, they don't always show in OAR (and neither does Sundance). I was greatly disappointed at this when I first got both.

4. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Screenwriter

I like IFC and I watch Hard Eight on it last night. They don't always show movies in their OAR but they show a lot nonetheless.

5. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

The Independent Film Channel is probably my favorite channel. [​IMG]

6. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

Our cable system has the Fox Movie Channel and they occasionally show movies in OAR, some of them are movies from the 50s and early 60s.

7. Ken Garrison

I wish Starz, HBO, Cinemax, and all the OTHER movie channels and channels that show movies once and a while, like ABC, FOX, and other network stations, will present ALL the movies in their original letterbox format. The HELL with the people who rather want their screens filled. WE wanna see the movie in their original format. Screw all the Joe/Jane-SIX-Packs. If it was presented in that aspect ratio in the theater, it needs to be shown in that aspect ratio on the TV.

8. Clint B

Clint B Second Unit

Amen!

9. AllenD

AllenD Second Unit

I watched Alien3 in OAR on a FOX cable channel a few weeks ago. I was shocked! Wish IFC was carried by my cable provider.

10. Kenneth Cummings

Kenneth Cummings Supporting Actor

Very glad I got Dish Network last week, because I get IFC, TCM, and Fox Movies. And hearing all this, I now watching "Dawn of the Dead" on IFC right now in OAR, and it looks VERY good.

11. Phil Florian

Phil Florian Screenwriter

Thumbs up for IFC. With DishPVR (invention of the gods) I have tons of cool shows saved up for future viewing. Some cool independents I missed (like "Pi" and a curious one called "Cosi") along with comfortable faves like "Twelfth Night" or "Richard III." Too nice. I like that they show some flicks in rep for a couple days, too. The one I wish they would play again is "Once Were Warriors" starring Jango Fett's Temouri (can't remember his last name, is it Morrison?). I saved it to PVR, but sadly, the showing was a version that had directors commentary instead of the regular track. While I think it is cool that IFC has this as a show, I wish it was clearer in the guide. The commentary was neat, but all it really did was whet my appetite for the real thing.

Also saw the original "Insomnia" with subtitles. What a great movie. I don't even want to see the remake...this one stands out on its own.

Go DISH!

Phil

12. Ken Garrison

I also noticed IFC shows movies that have been filmed by Low Budget Amature film students. I can tell it was done on 8 MM film. It is in Widescreen also. They must've used hard or soft matte techninque. Mostly, you can tell it's 8 MM by the excessive grainyness. But hey, them movies have surround sound and other goodies.

13. Paul D Young

Paul D Young Second Unit