I found a deal on a classical SACD...

Discussion in 'Music' started by Lee Scoggins, Aug 25, 2003.

1. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    ...the Channel Classics Sampler for $10.99 at Media Play

I found this yesterday and listened last night. You get 17 tracks for just under $11 and the sonics are superb (pure DSD recordings). Even more so, the performances of Channel Classics are top notch and critically hailed.

I really want to get their widely admired Super Audio La Stravanganze, Rachael Podger playing Vivaldi. There are two cuts from this album on the sampler so when I could not find Stravaganza, I settled on the sampler. What a great move as I really like all the tracks. I had the Peter Wispelwey discs, but was not as familiar with their other artists.

I think I will purchase the rest of the Channel catalog as I find them in stores.

I also bought the Alison Krauss Live discs and my wife and I just love them. The reference disc for bluegrass Super Audio so far. I am amazed how clear they captured the venure, Louisville Palace.

I also bought 4 Generations of Miles from Chesky and really like it. I strongly recommend this as a "must have" to any jazz fans out there. Was a Stereophile Record of the Month.

I'm curious if any of you had similar fine luck with Super Audio this weekend.

As you can tell, it was a great music weekend. I decided this weekend its time to really spend time on the music.

[​IMG]

2. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    It is a great disc. I picked it up a couple of months back at Tower for $11.99.

3. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Phil,

I forgot to mention another fave from the weekend spree...Rainbow Body by the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra, a pure DSD production from Telarc. I bought it mostly for the Copland Appalachian Spring Suite, the best recording I have of this piece, even surpassing my prized Reference Recording of same.

The dynamics are incredible, with very strong and realistic bass during the crescendos. The brass sound is incredible lifelike. Very nice soundstage. One of the best sounding classical recordings I have honestly ever heard.

If you like Copland, this is a Super Audio "must have". [​IMG]

4. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Will have to eventually check it out. I do have 'Copeland conducts Copeland' on Sony. Have not listened it for a while. Still listending to Aimee Mann's "Lost in Space" on SACD, along with Juber's disc on DVD-A, a bunch of CDs incl. Damien Rice (CD) 'O' which sounds excellent (kind of folk) and gearing up for Frampton which has been shipped but not received, Dylan (and Donovan too) SACDs and need to take my front channel amp in tomorrow for repair (listening with an old Adcom 555 I am saving for the basement for now).

5. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

6. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Lee the recording is excellent. Have not listened to the CD layer but listened to the SACD layer a couple of times. The lead vocal was not as forward (as compared to the background stuff) as it is on some other things (where you feel you can almost reach out and touch the vocalist but it was very clean and an excellent recording. Will probably not do any super critical listening until my main amp comes back. The Adcom 555 is OK but not on par with my other amp and my speakers are a bit demanding (Thiel 7.2s).

7. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    The Thiel's are a difficult load. My local dealer used to run only big Pass Labs amps on them.

Thanks for the review on the Aimee Mann. I will try to pick this up soon.

8. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

Lee,
    is there any online store for the Channel Classics?
    Can you give some of the tracks off of the Sampler besides the one you have mentioned?

9. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Lewis,

There are a wide variety of classical items. There are two examples of Peter Wispelwey, a track from the Telemann Tafelmusik, some choral pieces, and a bunch of other goodies.

Here is a link to their website www.channelclassics.com

And they do have a webshop for purchases. There albums are widely available at Tower and Media Play and I have seen some at Best Buy.

[​IMG]

10. Sathyan

Sathyan Second Unit

Lewis,

I bought the Channel Classics La Stravaganza from Music Direct (http://amusicdirect.com) and it is excellent.

Sathyan

11. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

12. KrisM

KrisM Second Unit

I bought this for my wife a couple of months ago and immediately bought the Stravaganza discs and a Wiespelwy(sp?) disc. I am also planning on getting the Britton cello disc by Wiespelwy as well. The Stravaganza discs are the best sounding discs in my collection, and I'm not really much of a classical guy. The price on the sampler was also great when I bought it. It was around $10CDN which is unheard up in Canada.

Regards
    KrisM

13. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer