What's new

I forgot how bad Voyager was... (1 Viewer)

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Even the TNG episode where everyone (except Wesley) starts playing those video games that take over their minds (and Wesley blinks while Worf is forcing his eyes open at the end of the episode)? Or the episode with the girl with the evil imaginary friend who turns out not to be imaginary?

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member

HEY! Ashley Judd was in that episode! She's never looked cuter IMHO.

Puzzled by the Voyager bashing. Sure there were bad episodes, but not even "Threshold" made me cringe more than "The Way To Eden", "Plato's Stepchildren", "Spock's Brain", and the one with Melvin the friendly lawyer. The sight of Spock "jamming" with the space hippies is far worse than salamanders.

Doug Pyle

Second Unit
Real Name
Doug
Oh, I really enjoyed that one! One of the funnier concepts they came up with, a reversal of stereotypes. All the responsible adults waste away time playing video games; the only one not interested is the adolescent boy! His real interest? Hanging out with a cute teen girl to ... study! Then, all the grownups set out to MAKE the kid play. Parents just don't understand.... :)

I agree that Voyager did have some stinkers.. but when you have around 26 episodes for 7 seasons, there are bound to be some stinkers in there. Overall I thought it was a very good series and had good episodes (such as Caretaker, Scorpion Pt. 1 + 2, Future's End Part 1 + 2, Endgame)

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
When I think of Voyager I always consider it to be much less than the sum of its parts. I feel the opposite about DS9.

Doug Pyle

Second Unit
Real Name
Doug
I just watched VOY "Lifesigns" (season 2). It is an easily overlooked gem, because there's no big action as in Scorpion 1&2, or explosions or danger to the crew. It is a touching story, grappling with the fear of becoming undesirable & losing love when illness (or by implication, injury, disability, aging, etc.) harms your appearance. It also touches on prejudice, as well as medical / professional ethics in a humorous way, in terms of the tension in maintaining appropriate relations with clients. The acting is perfect between the Doc and his Vidian patient, and the writing brings out the issues in a moving, sensitive, intelligent way. Very quiet and easy to overlook. Voyager has many such quiet gems, which may contribute to why it doesn't appeal to everyone.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
Lifesigns is the only great episode of Voyager, imho. So great, it made my Top 10 of Trek ep list. Robert Picardo and the guest actress playing the Viidian Doctor are both fantastic in the ep.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen

TOS was made in the 60's on a shoe-string budget. What's Voyager's excuse? :) Not trying to be combative here... but hippies were part of the culture at the time the show was made. Last time I checked, being a salamander isn't a life-choice. :D (Although the Spock-jamming scene is still laughably-terrible...)

I make no excuses for Melvin-the-friendly-lawyer or Spock's Brain though. Stinkers all! (I'm strange... I always kind of liked Plato's Stepchildren)

Paul Sandhu

Supporting Actor
Now that I think about it... some of the more of the dramatic episodes that were worth watching involved the Doctor.

And while 26 episodes is a pretty low ratio, it could have been worse.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Yeah, there were a few gems in the Voyager but when there were more bad ones than good ones...

I loved the one (I cant remember the name) when Torres was split in two and she had the Klingon half and the human half. It was stories like this that should have been done more often (thought provoking stories not transporter stories).

LizH

Second Unit

My favorites were "Scorpion, Part II", "The Gift" (Stunning acting by Jeri Ryan :emoji_thumbsup: ), "The Raven", and "Imperfection" (I'm a 7/9 fan, I know. ;) )

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks