What's new

i forgot how bad Seinfeld got... (1 Viewer)

EricW

Senior HTF Member
the other day i was surfing channels and just caught the Seinfeld "Calzone" where George has to get calzones to eat lunch with Steinbrenner and Elaine sees a guy who tricks her into going on dates with him...

man, i forgot how truly bad this series got after a while... there was not ONE redeeming laugh in the whole episode and all the characters were reduced to bad caricatures (of their original good caricatures) that followed a 'plot' that was excessively convoluted and plain BAD...

Brett Jason

Stunt Coordinator
I like that one, isn't that the one when Jerry has the hot girl who he uses to to get out of a ticket and other dilemmas?

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Sorry, can't agree with you. Sure, some of the plots were rather convoluted (like that one), but they were always funny as hell. That thing with Elaine being tricked into dates (the guy claimed they weren't dates) for example, was really funny, IMO. :)
/Mike

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
There are other episodes in that season that are worse than the Calzone one which I like.

Steinbrenner and George were very funny, "nothing like eating your whole meal and looking down seeing nothing but the table." Or something like that.

When Newman was giving George his demands for him to buy the Calzones was very funny. "And twice a week I will require...."

"It's raining. I don't work in the rain."

Krammer heating up his clothes(which I used to do in High School but in a dryer) and him trying to pay the Calzone guy in pennies was classic. "What, you want to pay in pennies!" and Krammer starts to yell at him in Italian(or so Krammer wants to think), and he stomps on the counter with his foot as he leaves.

This was a funny episode.

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
The calzone episode was a very funny episode, just like most of seventh season was. The show began its descent int he eighth season when Larry David left.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I still laugh when I think of the "Kenny Roger's Roasters" episode where Kramer and Seinfeld switch apartments because a new Roasters opens up across from their apartments, and their sign is too bright and red for Seinfeld. So Kramer goes to sleep with the red light on him all night, and it affects his color vision. For some reason, later on, he flies into Seinfeld's apartment, makes a beeline to the fridge and grabs a jug of tomato juice, thinking it's milk and chugs it until he realizes that it's tomator juice and spits it all out.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
That thing with Elaine being tricked into dates (the guy claimed they weren't dates) for example, was really funny
i just thought it was stupid - in my opinion, Elaine would have just said "$crew off" when the guy wouldn't come clean, but to further the plot she put up with it.
in the show's run, Elaine's character went from a totally hottie (from the show's perspective) and Seinfeld's equal to a total loser and George's equal. remember when she dated Putty all those times? :P i suppose it's easier to write slapstick that way. but the humour wasn't as intelligent.
but i acquiesce. it seems i'm in the minority when i say this show sucked after "The Pilot" episode (4th/5th season?) and it was still the biggest hit in the ratings.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
But that's how these characters are. :) They never seem to be content with just leaving things like they are, they always have to win over or prove themselves right to the other person. It makes for good comedy. :)
The only episode I thought "sucked" was the final half hour of the last episode.
/Mike

Shawn C

Screenwriter
If you liked Seinfeld.....
...You'll love "Curb Your Enthusiasm" on HBO with Larry David.
:)

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
Richard, Larry David was co-creator of Seinfeld, and a very large portion of the humor from that show was his.

If you have HBO and you like Seinfeld, IMO you have to watch "Curb Your Enthusiasm". CYE is Larry David's half hour comedy and a lot of the humor is the same.

Larry david is a comedic genious.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Richard,
yes, you must catch an episode of 'Curb Your Enthusiasm'! :laugh:
Until you see who Larry David is, you never realize just how much of the show (Seinfeld) came straight from his brain. You think that's Jerry Seinfeld coming up with all those funny quips and one liners? Nope, they come from Larry David. That's how he talks and thinks all the time.
Remember the episode 'The Contest'? Where the gang bets on who can go the longest without masturbating? That was something that Larry and some of his collage pals actually did once!
As for 'Seinfeld', may it live forever in the tradition of some of the finest sit coms ever to have graced t.v. Infinantly watchable.

Mitty

Supporting Actor
My favourite exchange in the Calzone episode was between Jerry and the cop who pulls him over.
- Do you know what the posted speed limit is along here?
- It's gotta be 55...
- You know how fast you were going?
- (laughing maniacally) A LOT faster than that!

Hilarious. :laugh:

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I always thought Seinfeld was funny, but overrated. The last episode was unfortunate (much like the last X-files).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks