I finished my dedicated home gym!

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by John Stone, Sep 4, 2003.

1. John Stone

John Stone Supporting Actor

As some of you know, over the last eight months I've become a complete fitness nut after being fat and unhealthy for many, many years. In the eight months since I started my fitness program, I have completely outgrown my existing equipment. Because my dedication has not waned--in fact it's grown stronger--about a month ago I decided it would be wise to turn a spare room into a dedicated home gym and purchase better quality strength training equipment. I finally finished the project yesterday! The room is done and the new equipment is assembled and installed.

For anyone who can't go to the gym or doesn't like to go to the gym, has the extra room and is serious about getting into shape and staying that way, I highly recommend looking into a similar home gym setup. My equipment consists of a Powertec Power Rack, a Powertec Utility Bench, a 300-pound Olympic barbell set, a complete set of hex dumbbells (5-70 pounds), a stair climber and a stationary bike. Compared to the amount of money most of us spend on DVDs and home theater, the cost is surprisingly low and well worth the investment. For me, it's a lot easier to stay motivated when I don't have to spend an hour driving to the gym and back every day.

I have pictures of the remodeled room and new equipment, plus more information on my fitness web page (look under the section titled "My Home Gym").

I would love to see other HTF member's home gyms, too. Post 'em up!

2. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Holy crap dood!! All that change in just 5 months, great job! [​IMG][​IMG] Just curious did you get a fake bake or is that a real tan?

Oh and the gym is looking sweet. Looks just like one you can find in a hotel minus a treadmill.

3. AaronMg

AaronMg Stunt Coordinator

Just curious... how much did that power rack set you back, because im looking into getting one of those myself.

4. CaseyLS

CaseyLS Second Unit

Wow thats amazing. I have lost 30 pounds since January but what you have done is amazing.

5. Armando Zamora

Armando Zamora Second Unit

As always, John...Great job. And awesome equipment too!!! I like the power rack. I don't think that I have purchased any new equipment lately other than a few accessories like the Manta Ray for doing squats. I'm thinking about getting a VKR station. Depends if I have enough clearance, height-wise. I need to get heavier hex-dumbbells too.

First time ever for me yesterday...squatted 200-lbs for reps yesterday. 3 sets, 8-reps. I could have used more weight and probably could have squatted 205-lbs for 8-reps or maybe 210-lbs for 6-reps, but I'm still in that feeling-out stage since this is the first time that I've been serious about working my legs...especially with the reconstructed knee and all.

I'm looking to putting on 10-lbs of lean muscle mass myself this fall/winter...Then trim myself out...then after reaching my desirable weight and BF, I'll kick it into maintenance-mode.

6. John Stone

Scott L,
    Thanks man! Yeah, that's a real tan. I live in Florida, so that helps. Glad you like the new gym stuff. BTW, as much as I'd like to say I did all that in five months, it's been eight months since I started, not five [​IMG]).

AaronMg,
    That power rack was $349.00 (I got it from Home Gym Warehouse but I think they are out of stock now. Other places sell it online for close to the same price). I also got the bench ($199.00) from the same place. The 300-pound Olympic barbell set was about $120.00 from Play it Again Sports, the weight tree was about $50.00 (also from Play it Again Sports), the flooring was about $120.00 from Sams Club, the mirrors cost about 130.00 at Home Depot and the hex dumbbells (5 - 70 pounds) I picked up at various places. Play it Again Sports sells them for about .49 a pound, but sometimes Sports Authority puts them on sale for a little less. The only thing I still need is a dumbbell rack. I think I'm going to get a monster-sized 96", 3-tier rack so I don't run out of space. I've already outgrown the 70 pounders for some exercises, so I will have to buy more soon.

CaseyLS,
    Thank you very much, but anyone can do what I did. It just takes a good plan and dedication. Congratulations on your weight loss, way to go! [​IMG]

Armando,
    Hey, thanks! I loved looking at your gym awhile back -- it was a source of inspiration when I did mine. Would you mind posting a link to your gym again? I lost it and I'm sure others would love to see it too, it's a great home gym!

It sounds like we are going in the same direction. I'm starting my 4-month bulking phase tomorrow, and on January 6, 2004 I'll start cutting until late spring. Good luck!

7. AaronMg

AaronMg Stunt Coordinator

thanks for the reply. That looks like a decent power rack which I might have to look into. Im looking for one with a pull up bar so thats why I was interested. And BTW, congrats on the weight loss/toning. Thats quite an accomplishment! Keep up the good work!

8. Patrick_L

Patrick_L Second Unit

very impressive man, keep it up![​IMG]

9. Stefan A

Stefan A Second Unit

Wow! I am totally mezmorized looking at those pictures of you. Especially the animation.

Stefan

10. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

> Yeah, that's a real tan. I live in Florida

Still amazes me how many people here pay to use tanning machines. Sat afternoon I was at the gym (the commercial kind), it was a nice, sunny day (after a couple days of major rain), & there were people paying extra to use the tanning booths. I don't get it. There are even tanning salons across the street from the beaches.

John, have you considered turning your experience into a fitness book or course? Yeah, there are a bunch of them out there, but you can write as a regular guy who's done it himself and can document it, rather than just someone spouting theory.

11. John Stone

Thanks folks...