What's new

I find Gamespot's reviews to be so funny....... (1 Viewer)

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
I was just checking out their Top 10 Gamecube games list. They have a page where you can see rankings for each individual system and they also break it down into categories. Well, it's so funny to see Eternal Darkness ranked higher than Zelda: Wind Waker. :) That is such a joke that it makes me wanto to laugh. They also gave Mario Sunshine an 8.0.

Gamespot is a decent site overall but they're reviews are sometimes just ridiculous. They're very inconsistent and just way off on some games. Just wanted to vent. :)

Dan.Becker

Damien

Supporting Actor
I was just checking out their Top 10 Gamecube games list. They have a page where you can see rankings for each individual system and they also break it down into categories. Well, it's so funny to see Eternal Darkness ranked higher than Zelda: Wind Waker. That is such a joke that it makes me wanto to laugh. They also gave Mario Sunshine an 8.0.
you are entilted to your opinion, but first be aware of this:

http://www.gamespot.com/gamespot/mis...explained.html

1. An 8.0 is "great".

2. The first line says:"we take time and originality into account"
plus:

"we rate games according to there current standards of their platform/genre."

and

- "reviewers are all different" - basically stating that reviewers should not worry about what someone else gave another game on that console when standards were a little more lax.

hope that clears it up.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Before ranting & Raving about rating Eternal Darkness over Zelda, let's put it in perspective. Zelda:WW got 9.3. Eternal Darkness got 9.4. 1% of a difference isn't really much, is it? Interestingly, their reader review average scores are Zelda - 9.1 & ED - 9.3, so their readers seem to agree.

AVault gave ED 100%. Somehow, I can't see Zelda:TWW beating that score. Does that make their reviews "funny" & useless? Not in my book.

They also gave Mario Sunshine an 8.0.
Strangely enough, I know a lot of gameplayers who'd say that was being generous. Not everyone /has/ to share the same opinion as you. Don't like Gamespot's reviews? Don't read 'em.

Personally, I'd rather see "low" marks like 8/10 for a good game rather than the scheme of 7/10 being average or poor that a lot of mags/sites seem to use. I *love* that a magazine like Edge has only given out 10/10 a handful of times in its 10 years of existance.

Yes, it means you actually have to read & comprehend the text of the review, and yes, it also means the writer actually has to write a real review instead of regurgitating the story, but it's worth it in the end to get a better feel for the quality of the game experience instead of just "this sux, dood".

Allen_Appel

Second Unit
Having recently done a short stint reviewing games for an Internet site, I've come to mistrust the numerical rating system, particularly when it encompasses decimals. 9.4 is better than 9.3? What exactly are you deducting tenths for? Point systems also tend to lose meaning as a console's library expands. Brian is right that too many games get high scores. A good game should get an eight, a great game deserves a nine. I prefer to grade games. It's a system everyone can relate to. I also want to know to buy, rent or avoid. SMS was certainly an A+ game and worthy of purchase, but I wouildn't give it a 10.0.

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
I'm not saying they can't have their opinions. I was simply pointing out that several websites/magazines did seem a bit overzealous about Eternal Darkness when it was first released. From what I saw of the game I had no interest and i've seen it mentioned from various sources that the game wasn't quite as great as some had insisted. Many complained of lackluster graphics, jerky animations, and all around weak gameplay. Cool concepts but weak gameplay mechanics in the end.

Keep in mind that Zelda: Wind Waker is currently rated #2 in the top games ever released list according to Gamerankings.com. Which is a pretty reliable idicator for a game's greatness.

Also worth noting: Mario Sunshine has an overall rating of 91% and Eternal Darkness is at 89.1. That just backs up my case that Gamespot was a little harsh on Mario Sunshine. I know it's almost cool in some people's opinions to rip on a "kiddy" game but i'm a true videogame fan and I love a great game no matter how "family friendly" it appears. Mario Sunshine and Zelda: Wind Waker are two of the best videogames i've ever played in my 15 of gaming. I don't think the same will ever be said of Eternal Darkness and thats why it's funny to see Gamespot rank that game among the best ever. IGN was also one of the few that clung to Eternal Darkness upon it's release but both of those sites are in the minority.

Dan.B

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
A good game should get an eight, a great game deserves a nine. I prefer to grade games. It's a system everyone can relate to.
Thats cool Allen. If thats what you like I can respect that but I'm of the mind that a game doesn't need a grade period. If a game is to be reviewed, the review needs to tell me WHY said game is great, good, or bad. A number should not have to do that.

A great game deserves a great review, a good game deserves a great review, and even a shitty game deserves a great review to tell you why its so shitty and why you should not buy. (Anyone else see Gamespots God and Generals video review? Now THAT is a review;) j/k). Just throwing my opinion out there for consumption.

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
Games appeal to various people for various reasons. It's a fact of life. I think that anybody who wouldn't play a game because it's supposedly kiddy should not be reviewing games anyway, as they're already proving themselves close-minded against a ridiculous bias. If you're so insecure that you can't look beyond (or, god forbid, just enjoy)presentation to see solid gameplay, you're beyond help.

I have no problem playing any genre as long as the game is good, and fun. I find GameSpot's reviews do an excellent job of pointing out what their reviewers like and don't like about things and I believe they could easily get away without putting numbers up.

Far as the whole Zelda/ED thing goes? Well, I know I'm in the minority, but if the sequel to ED had been released day and date with Wind Waker, I would not be posting in any Zelda threads if you get my drift.

I think Eternal Darkness is one of the best storytelling games that has come out in years and it's a crying shame that it sold as poorly as it did, because it was frankly excellent. There was so much that it did well, yet it also had great room for improvement too.

Shame we'll likely never see a follow-up, it deserves it.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Keep in mind that Zelda: Wind Waker is currently rated #2 in the top games ever released list according to Gamerankings.com.
It wasn't when I looked there this morning.

And since when was GameRankings ranking "every game ever released"? I thought it was just games reviewed since the PSX era as it's a meta-site of other websites' (and some mags') reviews.

Allen_Appel

Second Unit
One example of the ridiculousness of number scores is Extended Play, a series on the TechTV cable channel. Most games get a three on their five-point scale. The host will spend a segment praising a game and give it a three, the next game gets slagged and yet it rates a three as well.

I've never played ED, but I don't doubt that it's a great game, and it doesn't bother me that it gets a higher score than games I prefer. I take all reviews with salt anyway. I've been enjoying Dr. Muto, a game that got pretty mediocre reviews, so I try and keep an open mind over what constitutes a "good" game.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
It should be noted that GameSpot and IGN don't just average their numbers to find a final score, they do some sort of calculation or choose what they consider a fitting number. So if a game has four 9's and a 10, it doesn't automatically get a 9.2, it could get a 9.5 if they want it to.

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
I thought ED was terrible. It did nothing for me and the graphics were disgusting. All the delays for such tall anorexic sprites of shat.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
But, then again, I thought ED was one of the most amazing games ever made. The whole idea of the characters going insane, while tricking the player into believing it, combined with the innovative and fun game system made it a hit for me and MANY others.

JamesH

Supporting Actor
I will never understand Gamespot's reviewing scheme. They often score great games very harshly as if to get a reputation as the "tough" reviewing site, but then they'll turn around and score overhyped trash like State of Emergency, Medal of Honor: Frontline, and GTA Vice City very favorably.

Really, what kind of credibility can a site have when it believes State of Emergency to be better than Gunvalkyrie and a generic WW2 FPS to be better than Steel Battalion?

I think an 8.0 is a VERY generous score for Mario Sunshine, but they've rated worse higher, and Tony Hawk of all things got a 10.0, so it's tough to say. I personally like IGNs reviews a lot more. Even though they tend to overrate, they seem to be able to distinguish between good and bad games a lot better.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
I personally like IGNs reviews a lot more...they seem to be able to distinguish between good and bad games a lot better.
Medal of Honour PS2 - 8.0
GTA VC - 9.7
State of Emergency 8.3
Steel Battalion 8.3
Gunvalkyrie 9.0

So your precious IGN thinks "overhyped trash" State of Emergency is as good as Steel Battalion. It also thinks "overhyped trash" like GTA:VC is way way better than any of the games you mentioned. They also thought "overhyped trash" Medal of Honor was just about as good as Steel Battalion.

Did you even bother to check IGN before your rant or were you just going from memory?

Damien

Supporting Actor
I will never understand Gamespot's reviewing scheme. They often score great games very harshly as if to get a reputation as the "tough" reviewing site, but then they'll turn around and score overhyped trash like State of Emergency, Medal of Honor: Frontline, and GTA Vice City very favorably.
well lets take a look at IGN, I have the opposite problem with them. They give out favorable scores to EVERYTHING that is:
-exclusive to the system
-or is hyped
What would you rather to, be suprised about a game you were getting anyway or to throw away $50 on wreckless and WWF Raw?

CameronS

Supporting Actor
I've got to admit, I still think Eternal Darkness is one of the best Gamecube games released, if not the best. Even over the excellent Metroid Prime and Zelda (although i have yet to finish either of them.)

I also think Mario Sunshine deserved the slightly lower scores it received.

Users who are viewing this thread