I finally upgraded to DVDA, and I like it!

Discussion in 'Music' started by Christopher_Ham, Mar 30, 2004.

1. Christopher_Ham

Christopher_Ham Stunt Coordinator

I finally upgraded to a BK ref 50 and Denon 2200 so I am DVDA capable. I bought Pink Floyd and Beach Boys Pet sounds. I am very impressed by the clarity. I did a comparison between the DTS and DVDA versions of Pet Sounds and found DVDA to be far more natural and realistic. Although in DTS you can equalize and customize the sound, the studio straight mix of DVDA is better in my opinion.

2. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    When talking about Pink Floyd, I assume you're talking about the 30th Anniversary release of Dark Side? If so, that's SACD, not DVD-A.

On the other hand, if there really is a DVD-A release of something by Pink Floyd, what is it??? How on earth did I miss it??? I need to buy this straightaway!!!

(Can you tell I'm a Pink Floyd fan? [​IMG] )

Hope you enjoy getting into hi-res!

3. Mike Williams

Mike Williams Screenwriter

I have really wanted to give my DVD-Audio abilities a try, but I have been very disappointed with the limited selection of music currently available in DVD-Audio. My player isn't equipped with SACD, which has much better selection.

ONE QUESTION: if I have a DVD-Audio of say, The Best of R.E.M. or The Eagles: Hell Freezes Over, is there any difference in that and listening to the DVD Video of the same projects in 5.1 surround?

4. Christopher_Ham

Christopher_Ham Stunt Coordinator

I am sorry, I meant to say the SACD of Dark Side, and no, I have not heard of any DVDA Pink Floyd albums. I would be in bliss to have The Wall on either SACD or DVDA.
    As per the DTS Dolby Digital versions Vs. SACD and DVDA versions, yes there is a difference to my ear. The DVDA and SACD versions of the music I have heard is more realistic, gives you a feeling of being there if you close your eyes. The DTS and DD versions are great but are limited to a handful of titles. On the other hand SACD does have alot of Hybrid titles which is great because you can play them in regular CD players too. You can pick up a SACD DVD player now for 300.00 bucks. I got my Denon 2200 for 450.00 on ebay, and love it. After all of my DVD player upgrades over the years I now have dvd players in 5 rooms of the house, oh well, what is another!!!

5. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    I dont think there are any Pink Floyd releases on DVD-A

6. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim

I believe when watching the DVD video portion, you'd be playing back the DD or DTS track, and not the DVD-A track which is the hi-res, and aurally superior track.

I'm curious though, for A Night At The Opera, the Bohemian Rhapsody music video is included as an extra, when playing that, which audio track is played back, hi-res DVD-A or plain old DTS?

Chris, no need to apologise, I was just yanking your chain, if anything I'm sorry for doing so [​IMG]

7. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

not hi-rez

regarding your question about playing them as dvd-v, that's certainly possible if you just have a dvd player and want to start buying dvd-a, but you'll be listening in dd/dts, and not the advanced resolution tracks.

8. Mike Williams

Mike Williams Screenwriter

OK, so my question essentially was: is DVD-Audio superior to the DD 5.1 or DTS tracks of the same projects on DVD Videos? It sounds like everyone is saying they are, so now I have reason to pick up at least DVD-Audios and try them out.

9. AricB

AricB Second Unit

There is a difference, the dvd-a is a higher resolution, usually in both stereo and 5.1 surround, they are required to have a DD or DTS track to make them compatible with DVD-Video players. Compared to CD, you are getting the 5.1 mix, and advanced resolution audio. Compared to DVD_Video you are getting advanced resolution. Any videos included on dvd-a will be in DD or DTS you cant have hi rez and video playback. dvd-a discs are usually remastered studio recordings, where dvd-v is usually recorded live performances, with a few exceptions, hell freezes over being is not a dvda I dont believe, probably DTS, however they do have Hotel California in dvda.