I finally took the plunge -- I got contacts!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Harnish, Feb 15, 2003.

1. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

Well, I finally did it: I GOT CONTACTS! They are the greatest freaking investment I have EVER MADE. No longer will I have to wear stinkin' glasses (except for certain situations -- I got a backup pair of glasses just in case). The peripheral vision of these things is incredible. It's almost like using your own eyes!

Plus, my self-confidence has been soaring today so that's yet another excellent benefit of them. Yup...contacts are freaking amazing!! Sure am glad I got 'em. Now all I have left to do is reach my personal goal of 10% bodyfat and I'll be set. [​IMG]

2. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    Congrats. I used to wear contacts in high school but decided to go back to glasses as the whole cleaning and de-proteining(is that a word?) became too bothersome as I am truly a lazy sonofagun.
    Actually I have been toying with the idea of going back to them or even taking the uber plunge and getting Lasik done.

10% body fat eh? Good on ya.

3. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

So how long have you been considering contacts?

4. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Congrats! I got them like a year ago, with the help of HTF i was able to convince my parents!

Great things, they're awesome [​IMG]

5. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

6. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    Disposables are definitely the way to go. While on the surface they seem more expensive you'll be spending less on cleaning solution and won't have to worry about replacing lost or damaged lenses.

7. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

I use the disposables because I just like the level of comfort afforded my eyes every time I put in a fresh, clean pair. It's worth the added expense for me.

8. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

I told myself that this year I'm going to look into contacts again. I tried about 10 years ago and couldn't find a pair that was comfortable since I have dry eyes, but I hear they have some really good ones for dry eyes now.

9. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

My mom is in the optical field so I get freebies.

There are contacts now where you wear them at night, and then during the day you take them off and your vision is clear. My mom didn't like them because her vision varied in prescription and they were uncomfortable.

There are also contacts that change the color of your eye, as well as new glitter contacts that can make an eye sparkly.

Hard contact lenses last a long time but may be uncomfortable and costly if you lose them while swimming or swapping them out.

1 day disposables I did not care for because they were a bit soft to work with, and the solution they come in was a bit harsher on my eyes.

Now I use Acuvue 2s which last 2 weeks until you dispose of them. No rubbing or cleaning involved because I use "no-rub" cleaning solution that cleans them while they store. It's also the same solution that rinses them and it's sensitive on my eyes.

My mom is also certified with lasik surgery and even though she can get it for free, she doesn't want it. I guess she focuses on the things that go wrong and the risks involved.

Glasses IMO are still healthy on the eyes as if you use contacts too much, (or worse sleep in them), they can actually begin to cause problems.

Oh, and glasses go out of style each year so if you want to stay "in fashion", visit your local optometrists anually. That's about all I can remember. [​IMG]

10. Christopher P

Christopher P Supporting Actor

Once I started wearing contacts, I never wanted to wear glasses again (and ever since they broke, I haven't). I've been using the Acuvue 2's, I believe, and get them from 1800contacts.com always with good success.

Chris

11. Scott L

Scott L Producer

I tried contacs about a year ago but I just couldn't comforatbly get them in my eye. I'd always shut it or squint right whenthe contact touched something. That last time I had em in it took me 2 hours to get them there, and another hour to take both of them out. [​IMG]

I figured it isn't worth the hassle and I'll just stick with glasses until Lasik becomes more fine-tuned. Such a shame because the peripheral vision was amazing and I think I look much better w/o specs.

12. Gary_E

Gary_E Second Unit

I'm now wearing Acuvue 2s and love them. The worst part is they can be difficult to remove since they fit so well to my eye. I put a few drops of re-wetting liquid in my eyes, squeeze the eyelid and the lens will then pop out.

-Gary

13. dave_brogli

dave_brogli Screenwriter

contacts are the bomb. [​IMG]
    expensive but the bomb

14. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

15. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

RobertR wrote:

16. Hunter P

Hunter P Screenwriter

Lasik is the greatest freaking investment I have EVER MADE. Bar none. Being totally free is the greatest feeling in the world.

I would recommend it to anyone.

17. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I wear extended wear lenses, but I wear them as if they were daily lenses, meaning I take them out at night, plop them in the cleaning solution, and pop them back in in the morning. I seldom sleep in them (only if I fall asleep) because it's just not all that good for your eyes, but I like knowing that I could sleep in them if I needed to. The extended wear lenses seem more durable than the disposables, I spend $99 (for the extended wear contacts) plus the cost of solution for my eyewear on an annual basis.