I finally picked my speakers!!!

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Alex_C, May 17, 2003.

1. Alex_C

Alex_C Stunt Coordinator

I've auditioned Paradigm Monitors, Mirage Omni 250s, Polk somethingerothers, Klipsch RF-35s, Bostons, Phase-techs, DefTech 2006's and a few others.

Today I chose the Deftech 2006's with the 2300 center and the pro 100 rears. They sounded awesome in both places I heard them. However, now that they're home I'm not really impressed with the subs. I could be doing something wrong but there's no bass!!!

I'll be fiddling with em for the rest of the weekend.

If anyone has any tips, I'd sure appreciate it. I'd sure hate to think I blew $1,800 for speakers I'm not going to like. [​IMG]

2. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

No bass. Subs in the mains. You might be having interference problems. [​IMG] If you go to www.chesky.com and look up the Chesky Ultimate DVD-V/DVD-A test disc, it has the most useful phase tests I've come across. Also, obviously make sure all the bass management config is setup right in your pre/pro, receiver. (Small or large, crossover freq, distance to each speaker, etc.)

3. Myo K

Myo K Stunt Coordinator

you shouldve auditioned the omni 260's over the 250's

imo the omni 60's coupled with a decent subwoofer sound better then the floor standing 250 model. the 260s create a wonderful enveloping sound, the difference between the 250 and 260s are night and day, they dont even sound like the same speakers company.

4. dean_g

dean_g Agent

Every room is different, and it's almost impossible to predict how bass will behave in any given room. I used to hate floorstanders, until I got them in the right room.

Also, don't confuse clean bass with 'no' bass -- or 'more' bass with low bass. Calibrate properly and walk away. You're are not supposed to 'hear' the sub.

Give your ears a chance to adjust to the new sound.

5. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

That's true. Alec, you are using an SPL meter, right?

6. Alex_C

Alex_C Stunt Coordinator

A what meter??

7. Randall Duncan

Randall Duncan Stunt Coordinator

Hope this helps...

SPL = Sound Pressure Level - Usually measured in decibels.
    Decibel (dB) = Metric unit of sound pressure.
    SPL Meter = A device that measures sound pressure.

You can find a SPL meter at your local Radio Shack... It even
    comes with a manual on use and understanding sound pressure
    level measurement.

My old Radio Shack SPL meter was on a tripod and fell, which
    screwed up the needle's movement... I'm gonna' buy a new one shortly.

8. Alex_C

Alex_C Stunt Coordinator

Thanks.
    I wonder if because of the size of the room (22'x25') I should have purchased the 2004's with the 12" sub.
    Thoughts?

I've been messing with the speakers all day. I just can't get it. I've messed with the receiver settings, I've moved the speakers around. . .
    It just seems that there's no bass unless there's something really strong playing. Like in Star Wars episode 2, the scene in the arena, there's no real bass until somethine like a creature jumps or something. And the only thing I accomoplish by turning up the subs is an obnoxious booming.

I've gotta be doing something wrong.

9. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    What receiver are you using? What type of speaker setup were you using before. Did you remember to change your speaker setting to large? If not, then you are crossed over at 80 hz and everything below that would be going to your non existent sub.
    I'll second(or third or fourth the calibration suggestion)

10. Alex_C

Alex_C Stunt Coordinator

I'm using a Sony STR-DE425 that I hope to replace after I read some more posts here.

Before, I had a JBL setup with a sub. I got much more bass out of that system.

I changed my speaker setting to large and double, triple checked all the other settings.

I'll hit Radio Shack for the SPL meter hopefully tomorrow.

Thanks.

11. Randall Duncan

Randall Duncan Stunt Coordinator

Well... You don't really NEED a SPL meter to solve your problem...
    But it is a very useful reference tool and helps put what you're
    hearing into numbers that the folks here can understand. [​IMG]

12. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Alex: those 2006's you have are the models with the 8" subwoofers right? If they are then those relatively small woofers/mounted that far up in the cabinet/and in that large room most probably is the problem. When you said your previous sub + sat system sounded fine, that's what tipped me off.

When I was looking for some Bostons back in '98, I auditioned their model with an internal powered 8" sub.....and was similarly unimpressed in the dealer's large listening room. It basically was "lost" in there. (fyi: Boston finally totally remodeled(?) their website!)

Anyway, it looks like you might need a regular sub again [​IMG].

LJ

13. StevieP

StevieP Stunt Coordinator

Question, How are you connecting your speakers to the receiver? Are you using the LFE inputs(RCA) to the sub out on the receiver, or just speaker wire?

But as Alex said that is a pretty large room.

14. Alex_C

Alex_C Stunt Coordinator

I'm using the LFI inputs.

I talked to the retailer today. He said he'd come out to my house if I couldn't figure out. That's pretty good service.

15. Andrew Pezzo

Andrew Pezzo Second Unit

Alex,

I have the same speaker set-up except with ProMonitor 80's for the surrounds. I have been extremely happy with the performance. Good luck with the tweaking.

16. StevieP

StevieP Stunt Coordinator

Alex,

I have a Sony DE675 in my bedroom, and I have found that if you set your speakers to large you wont get much output to the sub! which is essentially what you have,when using the LFE inputs of your Def Techs.
    It took me forever to figure that out but that was before I found HTF
    It is also what prompted me to buy a Sony DA3ES for my main system, and move the DE unit to the bedroom!

17. Adam

Adam Stunt Coordinator

Alex,

If you are using just the speaker level outputs on the receiver you should set your receiver to large speakers. If, your are using the the LFE output from the receiver then you should set the speakers to small and adjust he crossover to either 80 or you could try whatever other settings are available to see if you get better results.

It is also possible you could be getting some canceling of the bass output since you are using two subs. If this is the problem maybe there is a phase switch on the sub section of the speakers. Then adjust one of the subs to be 180 degrees out from the other. You may also have to tweak that, as well.

Hope this helps.

18. Alex_C

Alex_C Stunt Coordinator

Thanks.
    I don't know what crossover is.

19. John Doran

John Doran Screenwriter

alex,

how do you have the speakers connected with the speaker-cable? i assume the 2006 has three binding posts on the back of each speaker - one for high, mid, and low (that's the way my 2000's are, anyway).

if you have your speakers set to 'large', then you MUST have the signal from the receiver get to the LOW binding posts, whether by connecting the speaker-wire to the LOW posts directly, or by having the LOW posts connected to the other posts via the gold jumpers that came with the speakers.

if you are connecting the speakers to the receiver using the 'low level/full range' input on the back of the speakers, then you have to make sure that the cable is connected to the receiver using the SPEAKER outputs (main left and main right) and NOT the subwoofer output.

if you tell the receiver that your speakers are large, but then don't have the speaker wires connected to the LOW binding posts AND you don't have the cable going into the 'full range' input on the speaker from the SPEAKER outputs on your receiver, then there's NO bass signal getting to the amplifier in the speakers, which means that your subs aren't being used.

there's another similar possibility: if you don't have the speaker-cable going to the LOW speaker binding post, and you also have the 'full range' speaker input connected to the SUBWOOFER output on the back of your receiver (instead of the speaker outputs), then you need to make sure that you tell the receiver that you have a subwoofer - by setting "SUBWOOFER" to YES in the receiver's set-up menu - or else no bass signal will be getting to your speakers 'cos the receiver thinks you have no subwoofer.

hope this helps.

- jd

20. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Indeed, if the retailer is willing to come out, have him do so. Likley he'll bring over a meter and give you a hand placing things in a better location. That sub though just might be a bit on the 'not ready for prime time' given the room size. Could always get an SVS!