What's new

I FINALLY got one!! (1 Viewer)

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
At last, I finally got a PS2!!! Yippeee!!! Couldn't afford Devil May Cry, so I picked up Final Fantasy VIII for PSX. Good move on Sony's part for backwards compatibility. Unfortunately, I forgot to pick up a memory card and didn't realize it until after two hours of play Saturday night. Oh, well. Will pick one up with DMC next week! :)
X-Box will also be arriving about six months from now! :D

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
Congrats!
Now let me save you another headache. When you pick up a memory card, be sure that it is a PS 1 memory card if you are going to save 'FF VIII' on it. I had a PS 2 mem card in place, and played through a couple of hours of 'FF IX', only to discover that it would not save to the PS 2 formatted mem card for some reason. It just would not recognise it with that game. I had to insert an old PS 1 mem card (luckily I had one around) into mem card slot #2 on my PS2, at which point that card recognized and I was allowed to save.
I don't know if this was an isolated case, or if only 'FF IX' has this problem or whatever, but it might be worth your time to double check your save ability on the PS2 mem cards with this and other PS 1 games before you spend another couple of hours on 'FF VIII' again.
eeesch, I hope that I did not just ADD to your headache :D

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
From what ive heard PS games cant be saved on a PS2 card and vice versa

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I can tell you from experience that you need a PS1 memory card for PS1 games, and a PS2 card for PS2 games. If you plan on taking advantage of the PS2's backwards compatability then you need to get both kinds of memory cards. I think I paid like $6 for my PS1 card so it's not a big deal.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
From what ive heard PS games cant be saved on a PS2 card and vice versa
Sorry, Carl, that's simply wrong.

To save PS2 games needs a PS2 memory card.

To save PS1 games needs a PS1 memory card.

PS1 saves can be 'backed up' onto a PS2 card to free up space etc, but it cannot be accessed by any PS1 game while stored there.

PS2 saves are completely incompatible with PS1 cards.

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Brian Harnish,

Just thought I would say now that you are in the world of PlayStation you should pick up a little gem by the name of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Actually, while you need a PS2 card for PS2 games and a PSX card for PSX games, you can move PSX data onto PS2 cards for storage. While its not direct saving, you can still have a lot of saves (though you have to move them back to the PSX card if you want to use them).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks