What's new

I finally did it!!! I saw EE!!! BUT... (1 Viewer)

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I just got done watching Forrest Gump, one of my favorite movies of all time. I thought the picture looked fabulous. But then I noticed something strange. I re-watched the title sequence and noticed something very odd about the letters. Something...akin...to...EDGE ENHANCEMENT!!! Those are some of the most ghostly looking letters I've ever seen. When I realized what I was seeing, I started popping in my other DVD's often accused of EE and yep, I can see it now.
What is the big BUT you say? I'm still not bothered by it. For years, I've watched movies and television shows with EE, and I've gotten used to it. But I at least now have an understanding of what EE is now, and why it bothered so many people. The importance now is that I can offer some advice on how to get people to look for EE (about getting people to care, well, that's another story). It's a lot like educating people about widescreen: you must provide "live" and contrasting examples. The best way I can remember the first exposure to EE is that back in the 80's when I was on cable T.V., my NBC affiliate would show NBA games, and the players looked ghostly. I'm making this post because I used to be in the camp of "I'm not convinced, I don't care". At least I've moved to the "Im now heavily convinced, but still don't care." However, this doesn't mean that if there is a need for support to anti-EE efforts, I won't put in my two cents. I'll support the anti-EE effort.
P.S. What exactly is the alternative to EE?
------------------
"I don't know, Marge. Trying is the first step towards failure." - Homer J. Simpson
My DVD Collection

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Is edge enhancement from the DVD/TV broadcast itself, or is it done by the TV???
IM sorry, stupid question, but just kinda confused... its from the broadcast source right??
Coz i was reading on like SVM or something in RPTVs and such...
------------------
The So Family Home Theater!
http://www.multimania.com/sonick182/ht/index.html

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
I have never understood the the practice of edge enhencement is so prevelent. It makes the picture look worse, not better.
I know how to spot edges of objects and don't need a halo to point it out to me.
------------------
My DVD's
If a movie is not available in OAR, than it might as well not be available at all.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Well, technically speaking, EE isn't what I saw on T.V. back in the 80's, but the effects are similar: there is a noticeable ringing or halo effect around objects. When viewing objects with lines (such as the grille of a truck), EE can be really noticeable.
------------------
"I don't know, Marge. Trying is the first step towards failure." - Homer J. Simpson
My DVD Collection

David Prior

Insider
Quote:
When viewing objects with lines (such as the grille of a truck), EE can be really noticeable.
The artifact you get from truck grilles, pin-striped suits, etc. is called moiring and it is not from edge enhancement. Moiring is the result of NTSC using two interlaced fields to create a full frame.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
quote: I have never understood the the practice of edge enhancement is so prevalent. It makes the picture look worse, not better.[/quote]I think the dilemma is fairly well illustrated in the recent thread on the Warner and Fox Wallace and Grommit DVDs . Posters were unhappy with the significantly softer look of the new Warner transfers versus the previous Fox release. When examples were posted, it was apparent that the Fox transfer had substantial enhancement applied compared to the Warner.
Many people equate apparent sharpness with resolution and detail. As a matter of fact, if the application of enhancement makes detail apparent that they would not have noticed while watching from a normal distance, they may even have a point, but I personally believe that it is more of a bane than a boon due to ringing artifacts.
I would not be surprised if enhancement were used at times to try and make footage match in sharpness when specific shots are either filtered to reduce noise/remove damage or taken from older generational elements.
Regards,
------------------
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA
[Edited last by Ken_McAlinden on September 13, 2001 at 08:21 AM]

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
One other point that is worth mentioning is that alot of movies that people perceive to have edge enhancement really don't, but what people see are rings due to compression. Due to the nature of MPEG compression, sometimes when you have something very bright next to something very dark (white on black) you will see a ringing effect, and that has nothing to do with artificial edge enhancement.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
I saw it once in the Leon extended cut from Columbia Tristar (while Leon and Mathilda are walking the streets), but it still doesn't bother me!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks