I finally decided!

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Tyler M., Apr 7, 2004.

1. Tyler M.

Tyler M. Agent

Well, I finally got around the listening to the Paradigms, and I must say, they are very impressive, very dynamic and incredible impact from a bookshelf. I think I'm going to go with The Focuses, two for the front and two for the rear. I will also get the CC170 center, but I'm kinda stuck for the sub. The Paradigm setup will put me near the ceiling of my budget, so would it be better to make a DIY setup, or maybe an Infinity PS-12? I can't afford the Paradigm sub. Any suggestions?

2. MuneebM

MuneebM Supporting Actor

HSU STF-2 is a 10" sub that is not very expensive and performs incredibly well. If you can swing the extra cash, go for the bigger STF-3. Either of those, or check out some of the SVS subs. HSU and SVS subwoofers offer amazing bang-for-the-buck value.

3. Tyler M.

Tyler M. Agent

Thanks for replying! I am aware that SVS and HSU are a great value, but I am unsure if I can spend that much. Hardware alone minus the sub will put me close to, if not over budget, and that's not counting wires or stands. I wanted to purchase a better receiver, but I'm almost positive that won't be possible.

4. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

an stf2 is $400. how much do you have to spend? if not enough, my advice would be to save up for a decent sub.

5. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

I would second that, save up and do without the sub until you have the money to get one from HSU or SVS for around 1K. You will be glad and it will be the last sub you will have to buy.

6. MuneebM

MuneebM Supporting Actor

If you buy a cheap sub now, you'll end up wanting to replace it within the near future. Save up and get yourself an HSU STF-3 or similar SVS sub. I love my STF-2 but still regret not having spent the extra $$$ for an STF-3.

I love my STF-2 even more since watching Matrix Revolutions last night: subsonic (

7. Tyler M.

Tyler M. Agent

I guess it would make sense to save up and get a better sub. What about a DIY approach? Maybe a Tempest with about 250 watts, that'd be plenty for me. Maybe even a PR setup, although I'm not completely confident I could build a correct enclosure for it. But I could definitely build a nice ported cabinet for the Tempest.