I finally bought my dream guitar!

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Tim Hoover, Aug 3, 2003.

1. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

Since there are usually threads in here about guitars, I thought I'd share the fact that I finally broke down and bought the guitar I've been drooling over for the past four years: A Taylor 414ce. A very good friend of mine owns a music store here and he made me an offer I couldn't refuse. So, I'll see you all later, as I've got some playing to do [​IMG]

BTW, I take delivery of a new birch custom-made drumkit next weekend!!! Woohoo!

2. Joe D

Joe D Supporting Actor

Sweet, I love the sound of a really nice acoustic.

Have fun playing it, and don't scratch it.

3. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Congratulations! I bought mine last year: a Lakewood M32!
    [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]
    From www.samusic.com - great place to buy custom guitars, and John (the owner) is a class act all the way!

4. SteveCop

SteveCop Agent

Tim,
    I'm sure you'll love it. Taylor makes great guitars.
    I have a 610 that I bought new in 1985. The older it gets, the better it sounds. The lifetime warranty is nice too.
    A few years ago I had a problem with the pickguard
    coming up around the edges. I called Taylor and actually got to speak to the person who built my guitar. He informed me that they had a problem with the adhesive they got from an vendor on the guitars in my serial number range. He gave me three choices for fixing it. He said I could take the guitar to any authorized dealer for repair, mail the guitar to them for repair, or he would send the pickguard directly to me, all free of charge. Since the pickguard already has the adhesive on it and is easy to put on, I elected to have him mail it straight to me.
    He promptly sent it overnight delivery. I was very impressed with their level of service!

Steve

5. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

Carlo - I thought you went with a Martin. I must be getting senile already. Are you still in love w/ the Lakewood?

Steve - Glad to hear you're still enjoying your 610. I've heard all sorts of legends about Taylor's service. I hope I won't be needing it, but it's nice to know that a company cares passionately about its products.

Someday I'll have to tell you guys this Martin story I heard. It makes a fella proud to play guitar...

6. Magnus T

Magnus T Supporting Actor

I bought my dream guitar a little over a year ago. Fender Strat... Aahhh... [​IMG]

7. Carlo Medina

Tim - I did initially, so you aren't senile! [​IMG]

I scored a great deal (pricewise) on a 000-16GTE, but when it got to me, it looked rather shopworn. No biggie, I had my local luthier set it up (action was too high, bridgepins weren't set, etc.) and it played much better. But I still wasn't getting that "love" from playing.

The icing on the cake was when I tried to register the guitar and Martin Guitar Co. called me back saying it was already registered under a different owner. So I called music123.com and demanded my money back and that they pay return shipping, which they did. They also apologized and said they didn't know it had been registered.

So I hit "The Circuit" - known as Guitar Center, West L.A. Music, McCabe's & Boulevard Music. I played tons of guitars and the ones I fell in love with were all in the $2000+ range, Taylor 714, Martin 000-28 Eric Clapton, Goodall, Breedlove, etc.

Well I also knew I wanted to try Lakewood (Glen Phillips formerly of Toad the Wet Sprocket has one and I've strummed it and thought it a fantastic instrument). However no one in The Circuit carried them. I did some web searching and found Shoreline Acoustic Music who dealt exclusively in hand-built custom guitars. To top it all off: they have 10 day unconditional return policy, they pick up the shipping costs! Not even SVS does that! [​IMG]

So I configured an M32 as I liked it (standard spruce + rosewood, added "magic symbols" on the rosette, got a B-Band UST pickup which I still have to install) and away it went. I was in constant contact with John at Shoreline and he with Martin Seeliger (founder of Lakewood). Well it was around the time of the great flooding in Germany so my guitar got delayed. Initially I was told 6 weeks, took more like 3 months. But as a consolation, Martin said he gave me one of the best pieces of spruce he could find in his stock. It's a beautiful, slightly orange-ish piece of Sitka with tight, fine grain (the pic above is a lighter Englemann spruce). He went with Sitka because it's stronger and louder, since I had told him via email that I listened to Toad, and Glen, and played rock and folk/rock stuff, almost no fingerpicking.

When it arrived, the action and fit were tight. I took it to the same luthier for setup. He looked at it for about 5 minutes, inspecting it inside and out, neck and body, and handed it right back to me, saying there was nothing that needed to be done. [​IMG]

I fell in love with it from the beginning and have played more in the last ten months of ownership than I have in the previous seven years since I first picked up a guitar.

I should stop now, don't want to hijack your thread. Maybe I'll post my own, with pics, in the near future.

Oh, and I've taken the Lakewood to The Circuit and played it against some "silly money" (I don't think it's silly, but my friends do) guitars. They all have their strengths, but I haven't heard a guitar, not a Martin, Taylor, Goodall or Breedlove, that makes me want to trade in my Lakewood. It's even won over some guys who work at McCabes and Boulevard (grizzly ol' guitar vets, not pimply faced Steve Vai wannabes who work at Guitar Center). Pretty impressive since a lot of them swear by American makes like Martin, Taylor and Gibson.

Oh and here's the clincher - I got the M32 for $1800. Less (often times much less) than anything I was playing at The Circuit. My friend who owns a Taylor 614 is now getting an M32 to complement. They sound great when we play together. Now his M32 is being built.

Long live Martin Seeliger and Lakewood! [​IMG][​IMG]

8. Josh Simpson

Josh Simpson Supporting Actor

I play acoustic, but am on a college budget and wanted to get some entry level electric. I couldn't afford a fender strat, so I got a squire strat, which isn't bad for the price. Of course I'm new to it. Now I want pedals, more pedals, and accessories. Now I really want to play a gibson les paul or something, because friends i talk to either like strats or les pauls. Sorry to get off topic. Congrats on your Taylor. They are great instruments.

9. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

Carlo - Damn...I wish I knew about Lakewood 2 weeks ago. I would have stopped by their booth at the NAMM show to check' em out! BTW, if you're ever interested in another Martin, email me. My buddy is also a Martin dealer...

Magnus - What kind of Strat did you get? I've always wanted a Clapton model. Hmmm, maybe a new electric for Tim next year...

Josh - no need to apologize. It was my intention that people share stories of their own dream guitars here. I have a Les Paul Custom, myself.

10. Carlo Medina

Cool! You get into NAMM thru your friend? Wish I could have gone. Regardless, I think Lakewood's there pretty much every year so just check 'em out next year.

And some day, if I get good enough (the Lakewood as a guitar still far outclasses me as a player) I may buy another nice acoustic. That Eric Clapton model 000-28 is a sweet sounding thing. But I'm pretty sure I'll never outgrow the Lakewood. So it will be a matter of disposable income (which, with the California economy the way it is will be in short supply) before I buy again. Maybe in a couple of years or so. But definitely thanks for the offer! Oh the Taylor 914CE(?) that Dave Matthews plays is a sweet looking guitar too.

Enjoy your Taylor to the fullest, though. Take some pics when you get a chance and update this thread (or start a new one).

Take care!

11. Van Patton

Van Patton Second Unit

I just bought the new Taylor 110 recently and I love it to death. It's probably the best deal out there right now as far as good starting acoustics go. Really, really nice tone.

12. Howard Williams

Howard Williams Supporting Actor

Congratz !!!

I bought my dream guitar too about 3 years ago. A Carvin LB76 5 piece through the body 6 string bass guitar made from Koa and White ash, gold hardware, rounded sides, name plate, and all the trimming. It's the most beautiful instrument I've ever seen.

My Bass

I, and all other players share your joy.

13. Carlo Medina

Sweet bass Howard! I always liked Carvin's built-to-order method and the few electric guitars I have played of theirs felt really good and sounded fine, especially for the price. (however their acoustics are pretty crappy, IMO, but they are relatively new to that market)

14. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

Howard - I already have my dream bass and it's also a Carvin. It's an LB-70 Fretless with Koa wings and a Badass bridge. Sweetest bass I've ever played...

Van - I really dig the new Taylor 110. It's giving Seagull a serious run for the money in low-cost, quality guitars...

Carlo - I thought Dave Matthews was still playing his signature Martin model. That's my Martin story I hinted at earlier. My buddy ordered one of these for a customer. It was a limited edition (only 156 made) and VERY difficult to get. My friend received the guitar and turned right around and shipped it to the customer. A few days later, he received an e-mail and pics from one very irate dude. It literally looked like UPS had run over the guitar with a truck. Completely smashed. Martin had already ended their production run on the guitar, but recovered the tooling and basically built the customer a new guitar. He's the only guy I know with a LE model #157 of 156 [​IMG]

Also, NAMM was great. I got six tshirts and more strings than I'll ever need. Plus, I got to meet Dr. Jim Marshall, founder of Marshall Amps. I have a pic and an autograph!

15. Carlo Medina

Alas, Mr. Matthews has gone over to the "dark side" . [​IMG] (he also used to have a Lakewood as his backup, and in fact the Live at Luther College with Tim Reynolds features him actually playing the M32)

Seriously, the new story going around is that Taylor didn't even approach him to play their guitar. Apparently he was just touring and stopped in at a guitar shop and picked up this 714CE (made a mistake, it's not a 914) and just fell in love with it. Check out this picture of him and his new guitar (though it's a far away shot, you can tell that distinctive Taylor body shape and cutaway). And he's been touring with it ever since.

That's a pretty funny story though!

16. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

Carlo, it appears Dave Matthews has good taste. The x14's are nice [​IMG]

Alas, I couldn't afford to spring for a 7-series. I really don't need to anyway since the main selling point of the 7's - a Fishman Blender pickup system - is now on the 4-series as well!

17. Carlo Medina

Yup, of all the Taylor bodies, I'd get an x14.

But the guitar that has me most intrigued are the Brook guitars. The M32 is a great full-bodied guitar (smaller than a dread but still a nice, big guitar). I'm not a tall man, though, so smaller guitars (and especially shorter scale length like 24.9") would suit me well.

This is the Brook Guitars Website
    And this is the Brook Taw and the Brook Torridge that will probably be my next guitar (talking like 3+ years from now) when I get better at fingerpicking. This should be a great complement to the M32.

And Shoreline's got a Custom Brook Taw as their Guitar Special (changes semi-frequently so this may not point to that guitar in the future) which I really like as far as the appointments on it.
    [​IMG]

18. Josh Simpson

Hey guys, I've got a better paying job and thinking of saving some to get a new acoustic/electric. I'm looking at Taylors, but a friend of mine says Takamine guitars are also good instruments usually at a cheaper price. I need some opinions cause I can order one from Musician's Friend and try it for a while, but will probably look around in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. Any opinions would be great. I would like to keep it under $1000, but somewhere around there.

19. Carlo Medina

An option, Josh, is to keep an eye on www.samusic.com and look at their Dutch Auction. Guitars start at a certain price and over time drop lower, until they sell. Right now the guitars are all between $1500-$1700 but a couple of months ago they had a beautiful Legend OMV-402 which went down to $1150 before selling (about 60% off of MSRP). If I did not already own my Lakewood M32, I would have probably bought that one.

IMO, you'll find a better guitar there at a price just above what you'd pay for a low-end Taylor or Tak. Plus, waiting for a guitar to go down will give you time to save up. I was in your position and figured if I was going to pay near $1000 for a guitar, I'd get the one I want even if it cost a bit more. I ended up paying about $1600 for mine, but better a $1600 guitar that you love and wouldn't trade for anything, vs. a $1000 guitar that may make you wish you had a better one later.

John (the proprieter at Shoreline) is a class act and has an impeccable 10 day return policy.

20. Josh Simpson

Thanks for the info Carlo. I'll check out that site, and some places in the Fort Worth/Dallas Metroplex, and in the mean time will start saving the dollars.