What's new

I few observations regarding placement of my sub and other things... (1 Viewer)

Scott_E

Stunt Coordinator
I'v been wondering lately about getting a second SVS. Then I thought about getting a 25-31 to match with my 20-39. Has anyone had experience matching svs's of different types? In a room my size (12.8 x 8 x 16.8), how would that sound? If I place them right next to each other in the same corner, what would happen? Would there be a benifit ? I'm looking for more impact. Ok, My Ref level on the volume control is going to be "55" on the volume dial. I'm using VE for the tones. The left main tone is at 65db when the volume is at 55, so I decided to match everything to that as that is the volume I'm going to be listening at. Settings are as follows, Left main - 2, Center - 2, Right - 1. I didnt calibrate the Rears as I dont have them set up yet. Sub is on -1 and from my listening position that hits between 72-74, it floats from 70 to 72 to 74. When setting the dial on 80, and reading the sub level with the left side of the gauge, it sticks at -6 the whole time. So I'm guessing its around 74. So Im 9db over my mains (geez that sounds like alot). Anyway, these settings net me no bottoming out in the chopper scene and it almost hints at distorting at times, but you have your head next to the sub to hear it, from my listening position all I hear is bass. This is great for this scene, but others , like the landing in flight, I dont get that much from it. I have turn the sub level up slightly to get good bass on it, but then the helicopter scene bottoms it out so I go back to my -1 setting. I had all the dbs I was hitting at certain spots in the room but I cant find where I wrote them down right now. I did notice this though, the sub is in the right front corner, Im sitting roughly in the middle of the back wall, and on my bed to boot. If you go and stand in the rear left corner, with the sub in the right front corner, it hits around 6-8db's higher on the meter than my sitting position. And you can feel it to, oh you can feel the difference. So I tried something, I put the sub on my bed where I usually sit and walked around the room to get some readings. With the sub on the sub on the bed, and playing the avia tone, I get about 4db's higher standing in that rear left corner, than with the sub in the front right corner and me on my bed. So, I put the sub in the rear left corner. And when sitting on my bed with the Avia tone playing, I hit around 3-5db's higher than I was getting with the sub up front in the right corner. I was like "great!!". So then I play the matrix helicopter scene. And while I did get different higher readings, it sounded different. Kinda muddy, and the bass was directional also. So I went back with it up front in the right corner and although not as high db wise, it did sound better. I couldnt tell where it was playing from at all. Just for kicks, I went to the rear left corner with the sub in the front right corner and man oh man, it sounds good, no muddiness and lots of impact. But I cant sit in the corner on the floor next to the dresser to watch the movie. One more thing, when the sub was in the rear left corner and I was on my bed, there was a dresser between me and the sub. Im sitting 2 and a half feet off the floor and the dresser is about 3 to 4 feet tall, I'm thinking that is why it might have sounded different. I was really considering getting rid of the bed in this room and replacing it with a futon or a couch. I think me being off the ground and on a bed might have something to do with me not feeling alot of bass. Whatcha think? Anyway, I believe I'm some sort of huge basshead. I was regularly hitting up 140-145's in my truck all the time. Still didnt impress me though. Impact sure was good though..........=). Ideas? Did it look like I calibrated stuff correctly?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks