I feel stupid for asking this

Discussion in 'Displays' started by AndrewPaulJones, Jun 5, 2006.

1. AndrewPaulJones

Say a TV has a native resolution of 1024x576. Why would it say it is compatible with 1080, 720, and 576. Its not actually getting any improvement in picture with 1080 and 720 right? Its just able to convert those to 576. Which means its not truely a 1080 TV.. or is it?

2. RickRO

RickRO Stunt Coordinator

The TV will scale what ever signal it is given to its "native" resolution ie. 576. All the compatibility means that what ever signal it is given (listed resolutions) it will scale to its native resolution. So you are correct when you say it is able to convert the listed resolutions to 576. The question about picture quality is it depends. No, it is not truly a 1080 TV it is a 576 TV.

Hope this helps

RickRO

3. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

Right, it will "just" convert those signals. But that's a big "just", when you consider that most standard-definition TVs can't scale HD signals or receive digital signals and thus need a set-top box of some sort to translate for them. So this becomes a worthwhile feature for someone who needs to buy a new TV these days, does not need HD and wants to watch mostly over-the-air material. It is a functional option at a decent price point for someone who wants a (relatively) cheap TV that won't be obsolete and need an add-on two years from now when the digital cut-over happens.

Regards,

Joe

4. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Joseph, great points!

5. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

Well, I was recently debating whether or not to get my dad a new TV, and if so what kind. (My parents live with my sister and her husband in a big house with many TVs and a couple of DVR/statellite receiver combos fed by a couple of DirecTV dishes. None of the equipment is HD or HD capable, and none of it is likely to be upgraded soon.) Something like the set Andrew asked about seemed like a reasonable choice in that size and price range.

I found another solution to his problem, so I was able to put off the TV decision. [​IMG]

He likes to watch TV late at night. The light doesn't keep my mom awake, but the noise does. So she bought him a pair of wireless headphones, but they kept picking up static or going dead on him, and he had to "jiggle the wire" to get the sound back. I found the headset jack was loose from his connecting and disconnecting the headphones, because when they're plugged in the TV speakers don't play. And they went dead because the battery charger in the - refurbished - base was flaky. I had her return the headphones, bought a new pair that uses standard batteries instead of rechargables, and plugged connected the base to the Audio-2 output on the DirecTiVo box. Now the headphones and the TV speakers work independently of one another. He can mute the TV, turn on the headphones and watch what he wants, without fooling with wires or even getting out of bed. (Which is important at the moment because he twisted his ankle a few days ago and needs to stay off his feet. [​IMG])

Anyway, I saved myself a couple of hundred dollars. [​IMG]

Regards,

Joe