I feel silly asking this question but

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tim Campbell, Mar 27, 2002.

1. Tim Campbell

Tim Campbell Agent

I have seen some DVD plyers that have 5.1 channel inputs. I have also seen the same inputs on REceivers. I assume the receiver ones are for hooking up amplifiers (am I right?)

What are the inputs on a DVD for?

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Tim,
    Ok there are actually 3 things here, and I'll do my best to explain:
    6 channel outputs on DVD players:
    These are OUTPUTS, not inputs as your post alluded.
    In the early days of dolby digital, many budget receivers did not include onboard DD decoding chips, instead these receivers offered 6 channel analog inputs allowing them to be used with DVD players that did the DD/DTS decoding internally.
    So these DVD players have internal decoders for DD and/or DTS turn the 6 channel signal into analog and pass the already decoded 6 channel signal via 6 output jacks on the player.
    These 6 channel outputs are also useful on DVD-A or SACD players, as most modern receivers don't have internal decoders for these formats from a digital stream. To do DVD-A and SACD, you have to have a receiver with 6 channel inputs and connect the 6 analog lines from the player to the receiver.
    Technically speaking, you could also connect these 6 channel outs on the dvd player direct to amplifiers and bypass a preamp if you chose (as these players tend to have internal level controls and other preamp features).
    6 channel inputs on receivers:
    Well, as stated above- some receivers offer 6 channel inputs to allow connections of outboard 6 channel devices for which they might not offer intenal convertors.
    Older receivers didn have DD or DTS conversion built in- so 6 channel input allowed you to still get DD/DTS if your dvd player had internal conversion available. Also, moder receivers are unable to internally convert DVD-A or SACD signals, so they have 6 channel input to allow connection of SACD or DVDA players with internal conversion.
    6 channel output on receivers:
    As you alluded in your post- some receiver have 6 channel preamp OUTPUTS to allw you to bypass the internal amplifiers and feed the 6 channel signals to your own amps.
    This allows you to only use the preamp and processing stages of your receiver- and use higher power or higher grade amps, while still getting conversion and switching functions of your receiver.
    Hope that helped.
    -V

3. Tim Campbell

Tim Campbell Agent

Vince,

That explained everything I wanted to know!! Thank you very much

4. Michael Caicedo

Michael Caicedo Second Unit

Michael Caicedo
    Great breakdown Vince, this might go well in the "What every newbie should know" thread.

5. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Mike,

Good point, have edited it and added it to that thread.

-vince

6. Tim Campbell

Tim Campbell Agent

See I guess there is no stupid question, just the Morons who ask them!!! He He

He guys one other thing. In the newbie section there is a 7.1 explanation. It said that there is no true 7.1 for the home yet. Isnt Onkyo's tx-ds989 a true 7.1?

7. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

8. Tim Campbell

Tim Campbell Agent

So there is no true 7.1 because no Discs are incoded in 7.1?

9. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

10. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

There is one 6.1 channel discrete format -- DTS ES Discrete. The rear center channel is encoded as a separate channel.