What's new

I fear for Happy Days (1 Viewer)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I said I would stop contributing to the highjacking of this thread, but I can't let this comment slide.

I know this wasn't directed at me, but I have seen every episode. I grew up with this on tv and saw the tv show long before I saw the movie. I find many of the episodes funny, including the password episode. On the other hand, I find many of the episodes not so funny. But none of the episodes is as good (IMO), as the film. When I first watched the film, I had a hard time, because I did have Randall/Klugman in my mind as Felix & Oscar. But the film is so great, that I now have no problem viewing Lemmon/Mattau as the definitive ones.

Again, the show is good, the show has some great episodes, but many people (possibly millions :)), find the movie to be better than the show.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

I hope this was meant as a joke because I had a good laugh at it, there is no chance of that happening, and yes I would wager on it. The funniest thing in this thread.

As to a few other points, I won’t comment on the Odd Couple discussion having not seen the TV show in a long time, and I can’t even recall watching the movie which means I probably haven’t.

As for longevity, that does not equate to quality. I prefer the Dick Van Dyke show which only aired for 5 years to Happy Days which aired for 11 and was probably only good for 4 or 5. I’ve suppressed later seasons from memory. As the Simpsons shows us, a show can hang on for too long, and I love the Simpsons. The Dick Van Dyke show could’ve gone on for a few more seasons, but to end it after 5 years was a creative decision.

As for Jump the shark, I love the site, I really do but it is just like any other opinion site, which is to say an opinion site.
1.The fact that a show has been deemed to Jump the shark on that site, and the fact that the show continued after the shark jump is really not all that impressive. Jumping the shark means that a show has lost what it had that ade it great, and is now closer to self parity than its former greatness.
2.I’m not sure when the site started, but does anyone want to bet that a number of people that voted “Never jumped” for the Simpsons in 2000 might have a different viewpoint now?

So, JTS is just as subjective as anyone elses opinion, it is not gospel, some of the stuff I agree with, and some I don’t.

But, I am however thankful that Fonzy jumped the shark, because I love reading the different thoughts on some of my favorite shows, and he was the inspiration for the JTS craze.

Chris:L

Supporting Actor

.... hey, Casey, I'm dead serious about the Brady Bunch's profits outselling that of The Simpsons.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
George,

I appreciate you coming back to discuss THE ODD COUPLE (though, in all fairness, we HAVE gone too far off topic!) Yes, perhaps "millions" was a knee-jerk way to describe what I meant. More accurate is that just about everyone I have ever talked to who is a fan of the Odd Couple as a "theme", has always preferred the TV show. In fact, this thread is the first time I've ever heard otherwise.

You said you couldn't let my comment pass, but you may have noticed that I didn't allow one of yours to squeak by without my commenting on it either. Here is a re-post if you missed it:

I do. Comedy is totally subjective, and paid critics haven't cornered the market on deciding what's funnier (the movie or the series). If anything, they don't know what they're talking about a lot of the time (ODD COUPLE II is quite funny, IMO).

Supporting Actor
Odd Couple II is funnier than The Odd Couple.

I don't know how Neil Simon does it, but I love it.

Supporting Actor
Is there a reason Paramount never approached anyone related to Happy Days about the first season. Do you think Ron knows? How about Henry... do you think he knows?

I find it terribly insulting that they didn't think about any special features... bloopers... script discussions... Behind the Scenes feature... you know what I mean?

Dave Farley

Second Unit
Paramount might want to see how it sells first before investing a lot of money in it. They know the hardcore fans will buy it as long as it is uncut, even if it is barebones. Extras won't likely sway the more casual, mainstream buyer, and since it is a 1970's show, albeit a popular one, they are probably using the first release to gauge its popularity before making a larger investment of time and money.

I expect that Season One through Ron Howard's last season will sell well, with the first 2-4 seasons doing the best, but maybe Paramount has their doubts. Or they could just be trying to maximize profits by going barebones.;)

Personally, I'm disappointed in the lack of extras, but I'll still be buying it.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

Bravo, George! :) Here's a good example why critics cannot always set the rule by which a movie is judged. OC2 almost always gets slammed. I believe the Maltin book called it "a shame" or something (!?) Far, far from it.

Supporting Actor
Leonard Maltin called Odd Couple II a shame? Why?

I'll be picking up the set as well. But I feel they wouldn't want anger fans by adding special features on later seasons without adding them to the first. You have to think about continuity.

R. Kay

Second Unit
I thought Matthau was hilarious in OC II.

The movie otherwise, was just ok.

The first OC film was a classic.

Supporting Actor
Well, I just bought Happy Days complete first season. It looks terrific... the picture quality is terrific and so is the color balance.

Now, hopefully the rest of the seasons will be released in rapid-fire succession.

Supporting Actor
Well, I just bought Happy Days complete first season. It looks terrific... the picture quality is terrific and so is the color balance.

Now, hopefully the rest of the seasons will be released in rapid-fire succession.

Randy Gray

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone else noticed any audio sync problems in a few episodes? There were a few scenes in "Give The Band A Hand" that seemed a little off to me. There was another episode but I can't remember which one now. Other than that I'm quite happy with it. It's really nice to see the end tags that were cut from most of them for syndication.

Randy

Supporting Actor
I don't really ever pay attention to audio synchronization.

I love the First Season Set. I really do.

How do we find out how the sales did for Season One?

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor
The audio synch seems to be from the original soundtrack -- lines that were post-dubbed by the actors in post-production and don't quite match the acoustics or the lip movements.

The funny thing about the title of this thread is that my fear was that people raised on Happy Days from season 3 onwards (live audience, Fonzie-mania, wacky plots) would be turned off by the style of the early episodes. But I think that most fans of the later episodes like the early episodes, once they get used to the style.

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
I don't have the set so I can't check the sound synch, but I do recall there being a lot of ADR in these episodes, so that could explain voices not precicely matching lip movement.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I forgot how good the first year was and how this show hit the ground running. It reflected the fifties and the music and actually being outside added to the reality of the show. I also forgot how good Winkler was playing Fonzie more realistically than the cartoon the character would eventually become.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks