I failed the HT junkie test! I'm so sorry!!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Halen, Jul 15, 2003.

1. Halen

Halen Stunt Coordinator

The guilt is overwhelming! Now I'm just trying to live with myself. May my decendants forgive me. I didn't pass what seems to be an HT-buff test.
    Last night after setting up my optical output on my new sony DVD player to send a digital signal to my new HK-525 reciever so it could play surround sound through my new Axiom speakers...I sat down and watched 2 entire movies, and...I DIDN'T ADJUST A THING!!! No equalizing, no delay adjustments, no large/small speakers, not even Bass or Treble!! I just sat down and enjoyed, in pure glutney, the sweet pounding and melodies that came from my speakers!!
    I mean, as a HT-buff wannabe, I shouldn't enjoy my movies right? I should constatly adjust the screen, the crossover, and place my sub woofer all over the room by moving it a half inch at a time untill I get the perfect sound. I shouldn't even be evaluating my speakers...I mean truly I shouldn't even be listening to them until 2-3 weeks from now, when they are fully broken in!!
    But no, not me. I put in a movie and enjoyed pure bliss. I'm shameless. I'm digital doo-doo! I'm sorry. I'll go home tonight and make myself listen to 5 consecutive hours of non-stop test tones in repent!
    Halen.

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Shame, Shame on you.

As punishment, pack up all your DVD's and CD's and mail them to:

Bob McElfresh
    PO Box 123
    Walnut Creek, CA 94598

They will be returned to you when you have learned your lesson[​IMG]

Actually - I recommend you let your speakers break in and enjoy your system for several week WITHOUT paying attention to speaker placement, or calibration.

Only after you have gotten used to the new stuff, then do the adjustments. This is the only way you will be sensitive to how much improvement you get.

3. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

Thats so pathetic. You shameless HT buff wannabe. You dont deserve a fine piece of equipment like the 525. Send it right over to me and I'll pray to wash your sins away. Now thats a small price to pay for having all your sins go away. Some good interconnects along with it would be good also.

I know exactly how you feel. I used to do that when I was new in the hobby but as I get more and more into the hobby I am becoming a perpetual tweaker esp. since I got that new tube linestage. Now I am constantly upgrading something or the other in it, swapping tubes etc, and evaluating the subtle changes in sound that I only hear after I have taken my dialy dose of coke. Damn audoiphilia, never lets you sleep peacefully.[​IMG]

4. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

It's ok Halen, after spending an entire night of stressing about getting an optical signal to work on your system, you've paid in full for HT buffness. Now stop posting on this silly forum and lisen to something in 5.1!!!!

5. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

6. Halen

Halen Stunt Coordinator

Well...I have further "soiled" the HT side of my self! I have been using my remote without programing a Macros!! Even worse...I'm using seprate remotes for each component!! OH TABOO!!

7. Jorge UF

Jorge UF Stunt Coordinator

Blasphemy!!! Halen I hereby sentence you to 9 full days of tweaking your system. I can't even start a movie until I have made all the proper tweaks and what not to my modest system.

8. EdNichols

EdNichols Second Unit

HA!
    I'll have you know I just got a new sub yesterday and I haven't even used my SPL meter yet!! Worse yet, I listened to the music with the bass turned up. Not boomy bass, mind you, just on the heavy side. How do like them apples!!!

9. Bob Hill

Bob Hill Stunt Coordinator

I'm wondering if there is a voacation in doing Home Theater Addict interventions. I'm sure I would have more than enough candidates right here on the HTF [​IMG]

10. Steve Marsh

Steve Marsh Stunt Coordinator

Halen
    Clearly you were too drunk to program macros. You were too anxios to watch a movie to spend time to calibrate the system and were ashamed to tell the wife/girlfriend or both that it needed to be calibrated to enjoy.
    Since all the above are natural side effects of your new HT and will pass I will not be issuing any warnings or punishment recomendations. If this does not pass I suggest you seek help or get the wife to do the work.
    Steve

11. Nick V

Nick V Second Unit

My biggest problem was that I started reading/participating on HTF before I purchased my system. I researched what to buy, how to set it up, etc...

By the time I was finally setting up my sytem, I used a laser pen to place the speakers, a tape measurer to place the speakers to within 2" of the sweet spot, borrowed an SPL meter, bought the Sound & Vision disc...

I've had my system for about a year now, and I bet I've spent more time tweaking my components, upgrading and setting up than I have enjoying the system.

Soon I'll be purchasing a new pre/pro and multichannel amp, and that should keep my tweaking addiction fulfilled for the next couple of months until the next upgrade.

Man, I'm only 19, will this ever end?

12. Steve Marsh

Steve Marsh Stunt Coordinator

Nick
    I started (with audio) at about 16 and there were some breaks w/o upgrades along the way but I'm 40 now and essentially this addiction is worse than alcohol. You are always hooked and one drink/new component is enough to set you off

13. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Of course some people use their HT systems to just watch movies. SUCKERS!!!

14. Doug Brewster

Doug Brewster Second Unit

"I DIDN'T ADJUST A THING!!!"

"I have been using my remote without programing a Macros!!"

Eventually you will.

"I'm using seprate remotes for each component!!"

Eventually you won't.

Doug

15. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

I was slow to calibrate my first HT system as well but all it took was a visit to someone who had calibrated their HT system and I've been behind my system like a dog in heat ever since.

16. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor