I encourage you all to try out DON'T LOOK NOW when Paramount releases it in September

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dick, Jun 20, 2002.

1. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    If you have not had the chance to see this movie - and that is a strong possibility, as the video is not in the stock of many rental outlets these days, the horrible laser was typically rotted, and t.v. broadcasts are rare - I actually envy you. You are in for a challenging movie experience. This film was directed in 1973 by Nicolas Roeg, and was based upon a short story by Daphne Du Murier. The plot concerns a man (Donald Sutherland, who is possessed of psychic abilities but who denies them), and his wife (Julie Christie), who have recently lost their young daughter in an accidental drowning. The couple travels to Venice where John is to restore ceiling tiles in a church. There they encounter a pair of blind women, one of whom is also psychic and who tries to warn the couple of impending danger even while insisting she has communicated with their dead (and according to her, happy) daughter. That is the plot, up to a point, but this film is all about style. It has been stunningly edited into a pastiche of flashbacks, psychic visions, slow motion and other time-fracturing techniques that keep us truly and completely off-balance and engrossed. The color red plays a HUGE role in the film (so let's hope the DVD transfer is superb, as I suspect it will be). Roeg's previous two films as director (PERFORMANCE and WALKABOUT) were mere dress rehearsals for this powerful, ultimately devastating film, and it will stick with you for a LONG time. You will want to watch it numerous times to make sure it doesn't cheat (it doesn't). Unlike with MEMENTO, you really can fit ALL of the pieces together after studying the film, but it's an emotional roller coaster getting there. This is an overlooked gem that I can damn near guarantee (but won't quite, since I'm not a rich man) will really rock you and leave you breathless. Buy it. Rent it. Watch it without interruptions and concentrate on it. It will reward you like few films have!

2. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Dick,
    Have been wanting to see Don't Look Now
    since my teenage years (half a life ago).
    It is a terrifically eerie film. It scared
    the crap out of me.
    I also remember this movie also has one of
    the most explicit sexual scenes I have ever
    seen in an "R" rated film.
    I look forward to watching it again just for
    Venice, as it is one of the most beautiful
    places on earth I had the chance to visit.
    Looking forward to this one.

3. Dharmesh C

Dharmesh C Supporting Actor

4. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

The scene you are describing has quite an influence, as I mentioned over in Movies during the Cinematography thread. I did my piece on Out of Sight and mentioned that Soderbergh got his intercutting of scenes before and during sex from another film. Walter Kittel asked me which one and I said...

5. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

It is such a different for Donald Sutherland after playing such goofballs in The Dirty Dozen or Kelly's Heroes.
    A must buy really
    [​IMG]

6. Anthony Thorne

Anthony Thorne Supporting Actor

The burning question is, will Paramount's upcoming DVD feature the slightly steamier, lengthier European cut (as featured on the recent French and German DVD releases of DON'T LOOK NOW) or the slightly shorter original American theatrical cut? Here's the pertinent paragraph from Mondo Digital's review of the recent French disc:

"When Don't Look Now first opened, much of the publicity centered around a steamy, memorable love scene between Sutherland and Christie, brilliantly intercut with intimate shots of the couple preparing to go out on the town afterwards. Rumors began flying that the performers had actually gotten carried away and made love for real during shooting, and the sequence was at least partially blamed for Warren Beatty dumping Christie around the same time. Furthermore, various sources reported that Roeg had shot additional explicit footage that never made it into the final cut, though even Roeg himself at one point dismissed this claim as a falsehood. Well, surprise! This newly restored version released on DVD in Europe, prepared in conjuction with the BFI and Canal Plus, contains a completely different and much more explicit cut of the love scene, with a few fleeting shots that would never have come close to earning an R rating even in the lenient '70s."

The original version of DON'T LOOK NOW was pretty steamy. The Euro version is steamier. Which one do Paramount have in store for us?

7. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    Sex scene shmex scene. The ending (which I will not discuss in any detail for those who have yet to see it) is the part that scared the crap out of me and stayed with me for days (alright years) afterwards.

IMHO, The thing that makes the sex scene feel "real" is the intercutting with the "next morning" stuff rather than the explicitness, so I hope Paramount releases whichever version Roeg prefers be it more or less explicit.

Regards,

8. Bryant Frazer

Bryant Frazer Stunt Coordinator

I try not to mention the nature of the ending when I describe this movie to people, since simply letting them know there's something big coming up probably qualifies as a spoiler for a movie this low-key.

And I disagree about the level of explicit imagery not being important to the sex scene. If the action weren't surprisingly, even startlingly frank, involving a couple of stars who weren't exactly unknowns, I don't think the cuts to the dull everyday task of getting dressed would be quite the counterpoint that they are. Explicit to tepid, abandon to restraint. Etcetera.

-bf-

9. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden

10. Bill McA

Bill McA Producer

No encouragement needed here, it's one of my all-time favorite movies! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    With DON'T LOOK NOW and THE TENANT coming on the same day, I'm a happy camper!

12. Chuck L

Chuck L Screenwriter

I have never had the opportunity to see this film. But based on word of mouth alone, already on the list of titles to get.

13. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

Excellent creepy film. [​IMG]

14. Clint

Clint Stunt Coordinator

Can't we get both cuts (ala Legend:UE) from a studio like Paramount?

15. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein

ATTENTION

I just confirmed with Paramount.
    The domestic Region 1 release is NOT the
    unrated version.
    So, if the European version is the UNRATED
    version, this is the one I want.
    Is the European version out? I have a player
    that can play PAL.

16. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    As I mentioned in another thread, I have seen both the "uncut" European version currently on Studio + Canal DVD from other regions, and the original. Personally, I do not see that the few VERY tiny edits required to earn an R rating in the states makes any difference to the tone of this film at all. I do not condone censorship, but really, this is one of my favorite films of all time and I am saying that those few miniscule snips means almost nothing with regards to one's reaction to this film. The R-rated U.S. release is just fine. Really. Don't sweat the small stuff. Paramount will almost certainly release the U.S. edition, so sit back, relax and prepare to be mesmerized.

17. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

I've had the French DVD (16:9 1.85:1 PAL) since last October. Its listed as 105min., not sure what that would be after accounting for the PAL speedup. IMDB lists the movie as having a 110min. run time. I'm sure the cuts we're talking about are probably less than a minutes worth.

18. Neil_Duffy

Neil_Duffy Second Unit

Don't Look Now is out in the UK on July 29th,Uncut, I assume, with the following supps:

Introduction from director Nicolas Roeg (20 mins)
    Original theatrical trailer
    Downloadable theatrical press brochure
    Interactive menu
    Scene access

The Man who fell to earth is out on the same day too.

By the way, does anyone know what supps are on the R1 disc?

19. Christian R

Christian R Agent

Go with the U.K. R2 Ron - it's uncut. What more can I say? Yes, it's not THAT much different...but it is the DIRECTOR'S CUT and it is...uncut.

20. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins
    OK, now that we've got confirmation that we're getting the censored version, it's time to place an order for the R2 version. Anyone know which version is better, French or German??

Jeff