What's new

HubbaBubbaKid

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Frankie
It’s been a minute since I’ve posted here but I had to in regards to this release. I just got my set today and in addition to the overal crap show that this release is (which is SUPER disappointing) I’ve run into this problem and wonder if it affects all sets?

On Season Five Disc Two - the last disc of the set - on “Help, Help a Shark” between 5:23 - 6:57 the audio on mine suddenly has a loud buzzing that drowns out the regular audio. Also on the same disc “An Astronaut in Sheep’s Clothing” plays “Hurricane Jeannie” and “Hurricane Jeannie” plays “…Sheep’s Clothing!”

same here, just checked this on my set. someone on blu ray.com said that this problem occured with the Sony set also. i didn‘t watch my old one all the way thru so i can’t confirm yay or nay

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
same here, just checked this on my set. someone on blu ray.com said that this problem occured with the Sony set also. i didn‘t watch my old one all the way thru so i can’t confirm yay or nay
It's been too long for me to remember this issue on the Sony set and it's boxed up, not easily accessible (plus the boxes are not inventoried so I have no idea which one), so I'm not digging it out just to verify. However, if that *is* the case then it makes it rather obvious that the MC BR comes from the same masters as the old DVDs as I seriously doubt such an audio issue would be on the original film. That, alone, is enough to make the MC BR release less desirable.

ScottRE

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
I pretty much agree with the review of the picture quality. Honestly, the first two seasons don't look bad, the final three are less impressive but still better than the Mill Creek DVDs (which averaged out the same number of episodes per disc).

What needs to be addressed are the glitches. The sound issue mentioned above makes the episode unwatchable, the swapped episodes and for a portion of "The Girl Who Never Had a Birthday" part 2, the pillar boxing goes wider on and off early in the episode.

ScottRE

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
I forget just how hideous the reunion movie was. The only high point is Ms. Eden herself, who looks great. Otherwise, it's dire and the ending is ridiculously sad while trying to put a positive spin on it. A finale completely ignored in the 1991 follow up (which was even worse if I recall correctly). I still can't get behind Wayne Rogers and we needed more Dr. Bellows.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Yeah, I watched that "reunion" movie last night. All I could think was how horrible and embarrassing it was. Like most such efforts it suffered from a terribly written script full of lame humor attempts and just bad direction and acting. Even Eden often sounded forced when delivering those horrible lines they gave her. There was *none* of the "bubbly joy" she had in the original series. And the vfx were *worse* than what they'd done in the 60s! What I found more sad than the ending was that it generally looked better than *any* of the episodes I've watched so far (mostly from the BW S1). That's saying quite a lot considering it's supposed to be SD.

sjbradford

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
sjbradford
The 1985 movie was less a reunion and more a pilot for a new series. That’s presumably why we got so little of Bellows and Roger. Coca Cola, which owned Columbia Picture TV at the time, was mining a lot of its old titles for revivals. Some of them went to series: “What’s Happening Now”, “New Gidget”, “New Monkees”. Some of them got no further than a pilot: “Jeannie”, “Dennis the Menace”. And one got no further than a concept (a “Partridge Family” sequel that would have focused on single father Keith and his daughter forming a new musical act).

They are all uniformly awful, though.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
Here's a bit of trivia some people might not know: The I Dream of Jeannie: 15 Years Later reunion movie was directed by William Asher (Elizabeth Montgomery's ex-husband who directed and produced Bewitched)! He also directed the Green Acres reunion movie which was even worse.

ScottRE

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
What made this series as fun as it was wasn't Barbara Eden alone. It was the madcap energy of the stories and the incredible comic timing of the cast. The lack of energy may be excused with age but the comic timing would have still been there. It's a shame they couldn't get Hagman but the script was what it was and he never would have been a main character. And he would have done it if they actually offered to pay him a decent amount. Whatever, it wasn't about the ensemble, it was a story of Jeannie as a liberated woman of the 80's.

Not really why I tune in to I Dream of Jeannie....

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Here's a bit of trivia some people might not know: The I Dream of Jeannie: 15 Years Later reunion movie was directed by William Asher (Elizabeth Montgomery's ex-husband who directed and produced Bewitched)! He also directed the Green Acres reunion movie which was even worse.
I noticed that and thought it somewhat ironic considering his very strong ties to IDOJ's biggest "competition" in the original broadcast years.

ScottRE

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
I noticed that and thought it somewhat ironic considering his very strong ties to IDOJ's biggest "competition" in the original broadcast years.
It's a good potential explanation as to why he didn't "get it." Bewitched was more calm, less reliant on physical comedy and Samantha didn't need Darren to drive the plots as much. You could have rewritten this for Sam and Darren and it may have even worked better. Sam being an independent 80's woman would have fit her character more comfortably. And recasting Darren would have been something the audience was used to if they didn't want to bring back Dick Sargent (York was probably in bad shape by then).

Tommy R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tommy
I really enjoyed the 15 Years Later special. I thought it was a totally believable depiction of Jeannie having been married and used to living that sort of life for a while. Could definitely have used more Roger and Bellows though. And Hagman.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
There are several "reviews" of this set on Amazon now - they're uniformly bad, echoing many of the things we, here, are saying though none have mentioned the audio and video glitches at this point. Most are focused on it being 1080i instead of 1080p and that it looks only marginally better, if at all, than the Sony DVD releases.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Just saw this posted review:

Blu-ray(dot)com is being much too generous in my humble opinion. The real HD versions can be seen on Amazon Prime (season 1 1080p) and on Tubi (seasons 2-4 720p). And you can also see Bewitched seasons 5 and 6 on Tubi in 720p widescreen and they look great too. Sony has already remastered a lot of their TV catalog in HD, but have made very little of it available for sale. I would kill to be able to buy this stuff on iTunes.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Blu-ray(dot)com is being much too generous in my humble opinion. The real HD versions can be seen on Amazon Prime (season 1 1080p) and on Tubi (seasons 2-4 720p). And you can also see Bewitched seasons 5 and 6 on Tubi in 720p widescreen and they look great too. Sony has already remastered a lot of their TV catalog in HD, but have made very little of it available for sale. I would kill to be able to buy this stuff on iTunes.

I’ll check them out in prime.

Thanks!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony

ScottRE

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
TBH, the image when I stream is either pin sharp or pixelated, depending on my wifi. I don't get consistency and my streaming image, even of 4K movies isn't up to the standards of the physical media. So, really, the shows I watch on the various streaming sites never look as good as the DVDs or blu rays I have. Even Jeannie. The 4K digital codes of the Star Trek films don't wow me but the 4k discs absolutely do.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StreetPreacher
Recent bookmarks