What's new

Pre-Order I Dream of Jeannie: The Complete Series (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
My set from Best Buy.com was supposed to be delivered on its release day but got delayed. The tracking finally shows it nearby though, so hopefully it can be delivered today.

Though its a little disappointing that this isn’t the best it could have possibly looked, at the very least it’s better than the DVDs, which have satisfied me for the past 15 years.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
NBC was selling a lot of Color TV's because they were NBC, Bonanza in color was a big reason. Hazel too went to color quickly, the second season although one episode of season one was in color, the brilliant episode where everyone wanted to know what color Perry Como's eyes were. So not only selling color TV's but also selling Perry Como's records and boosting his hit show too! Jeanie in black and white (NBC) and the first two seasons of Bewitched (ABC) kept the budget down. Did Donna Reed ever go to color before the end of it's eight year run?

For those unfamiliar with the TV series, Hazel: the first season of Hazel was indeed filmed in black and white, except for that one episode filmed in color. The plot for that episode had to do with Mr. B buying Hazel her own personal television set for her bedroom. Mr. B allocated a certain amount for a basic b&w TV, but Hazel really wanted a COLOR TV, so she told the salesman she would pony up the rest of the money and pay the difference. So Hazel got a color TV in her bedroom, while the Baxters still had an old b&w TV in the living room. When word got around, all Hazel's friends and neighbors came over to watch Hazel's new color TV in her crowded bedroom, much to Mr. Baxter's chagrin! LOL I'm going by memory so I don't remember specifically the bit about Perry Como's eyes, but I'm sure there may have been a line or two about it.
It was an obvious plot designed to entice consumers to buy a color TV. Since Hazel aired on NBC, I wouldn't be surprised if RCA was a sponsor for that particular episode.

fb4ae71dc701cf293c342084aa5097d1.jpg

Last edited:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I just compared the episode "Jeannie Breaks the Bank" (very funny) on Tubi, and BD. Yup the Tubi representation is sharp as can be, and the BD is softer. Color remains about equal on both. Really too bad that one is better than the other. the 1080i BD is just plain odd. I'm not sure what happened. Really a shame, but there are boutique labels out there that would kill for a second, and proper BD release. Maybe that will happen, but like I said I'm still fairly satisfied with what I have. By no means a bad looking set.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
Ron L.G.:
Ford was Hazel's main sponsor, at least the first season. I read that they'd wanted NBC to film the show in color to show off their new car models on the show, but NBC didn't want to pay the extra expense. Turns out that for the 1961-62 season, Hazel was the highest rated comedy series at #4 on Nielsen's list, with three westerns ahead of it: Wagon Train, Gunsmoke and Bonanza, so going to color for Season 2 was a no brainer.

To that point-- was Hogan's Heroes the first one that CBS ever had in color?

I'm assuming you mean a new series? In 1965 Green Acres seems to be the first new series on CBS that aired in color.

NBC had a “color week” in the fall of 1962, seven shows had a color episode to sell the new color tv’s . i know there was Hazel (her episode was in 61, then went full color in 62) , Dr Kildare , and Wide Country. does anybody know the other shows that had a color episode for this promotion?

I know that The Joey Bishop Show had a few color episodes in Season 1 and according to Wiki: The Joey Bishop Show was telecast in b&w during its first season except for five episodes which were filmed and broadcast in color to promote parent company RCA's color television sets on special "all color nights" which included episodes of "Wagon Train." Those Joey Bishop episodes were broadcast on October 4, 1961; November 1, 1961; December 6, 1961; February 7, 1962; and March 14, 1962.

They say "all color nights," but Hazel's 1st Season color episode was on November 2, so "weeks" is probably more accurate.

In that color Hazel episode, they back out of their driveway on the lot they filmed on and that I Dream of Jeannie would, too, in a few years (I'm trying to keep this post relevant to this thread in some way :)) and there's a vacant lot next door. (In the first season an eccentric old couple supposedly live next door in a mansion.) The next year, in late July of 1962 (according to actual Columbia Pictures documentation), what is now known as the Bewitched house was built for the one season TV show 'Our Man Higgins', played by Stanley Holloway. It's also known by some as the Higgins house.

The Joey Bishop Show was an odd duck in the filming department. The first Season was b&w, except for the five color episodes. Then Season 2 & 3 were in color, but it moved to CBS in Season 4 on the stipulation they did Season 4 in b&w. Does anyone know any other series that switched to color and then back to b&w?

Now back to our regularly scheduled I Dream of Jeannie Blu-ray discussion.

Last edited:

HubbaBubbaKid

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Frankie
”The Joey Bishop Show was an odd duck in the filming department. The first Season was b&w, except for the five color episodes. Then Season 2 & 3 were in color, but it moved to CBS in Season 4 on the stipulation they did Season 4 in b&w. Does anyone know any other series that switched to color and then back to b&w?”

the only other one i can think of is Wagon Train. which also went from an 60 min to 90 ( and color —to compete w/the Virginian) then back to 60 min

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
NBC had a “color week” in the fall of 1962, seven shows had a color episode to sell the new color tv’s . i know there was Hazel (her episode was in 61, then went full color in 62) , Dr Kildare , and Wide Country. does anybody know the other shows that had a color episode for this promotion?
Frankie, Sam Benedict, Edmond O'Brien's single season lawyer show that debuted in September 1962, had a color episode also shown as part of 'Color Week on NBC'. Shown two days after Dr. Kildare's color episode, Sam Benedict's Nothing Equals Nothing with Nancy Kelly, Constance Ford and Ed Asner was aired. Just as with Dr. Kildare, It is presented in the original and brilliant color on the Warner Archive DVD set.

As per the new Mill Creek Blu of IDOJ, I'm disappointed to hear of the less than hoped for HD presentation. But I'm a physical media guy all the way and will likely pick this up soon, even though my DVDs look just fine as it is.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
For those unfamiliar with the TV series, Hazel: the first season of Hazel was indeed filmed in black and white, except for that one episode filmed in color. The plot for that episode had to do with Mr. B buying Hazel her own personal television set for her bedroom. Mr. B allocated a certain amount for a basic b&w TV, but Hazel really wanted a COLOR TV, so she told the salesman she would pony up the rest of the money and pay the difference. So Hazel got a color TV in her bedroom, while the Baxters still had an old b&w TV in the living room. When word got around, all Hazel's friends and neighbors came over to watch Hazel's new color TV in her crowded bedroom, much to Mr. Baxter's chagrin! LOL I'm going by memory so I don't remember specifically the bit about Perry Como's eyes, but I'm sure there may have been a line or two about it.
It was an obvious plot designed to entice consumers to buy a color TV. Since Hazel aired on NBC, I wouldn't be surprised if RCA was a sponsor for that particular episode.

fb4ae71dc701cf293c342084aa5097d1.jpg
Ooops meant to say NBC was RCA!

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Ooops meant to say NBC was RCA!
Great thread on Jeanie if I could get a great deal on the dvd set I will stick with that, have to pick that up, The Munsters and The Addams Family too! Those two would have been wicked in color. Just thinking about b and w tv series on CBS - all seven season of Perry Mason except one I think of the last season was in b and w, possible filming the one episode in color was a shot at getting another season? Amazon has the Sony complete set for 19.99!

Last edited:

dukiejosh54

Second Unit
Real Name
Josh
I just compared the episode "Jeannie Breaks the Bank" (very funny) on Tubi, and BD. Yup the Tubi representation is sharp as can be, and the BD is softer. Color remains about equal on both. Really too bad that one is better than the other. the 1080i BD is just plain odd. I'm not sure what happened. Really a shame, but there are boutique labels out there that would kill for a second, and proper BD release. Maybe that will happen, but like I said I'm still fairly satisfied with what I have. By no means a bad looking set.
So do i need to change my players resolution settings to 1080I for it to play correctly?

HubbaBubbaKid

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Frankie
so i got my replacement set today and tested the same episode that had the flickering issue while playing, same problem . i’m wondering if its a batch / lot problem . if anybody who else has this set , if they could check the Mod Party episode S2 ep 31 —its the last ep. on the last disc of case 1 . the flickering is random , not all the time —i would be much obliged

Last edited:

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
NBC had a “color week” in the fall of 1962, seven shows had a color episode to sell the new color tv’s . i know there was Hazel (her episode was in 61, then went full color in 62) , Dr Kildare , and Wide Country. does anybody know the other shows that had a color episode for this promotion? Hazel and Dr Kildare‘s color episodes are on their dvd sets but Wide Country’s color episode is unfortunately in b&w on the dvd.
MIght have been Joey Bishop. Some of his first season shows were filmed in color for these type of promotions on NBC.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Great thread on Jeanie if I could get a great deal on the dvd set I will stick with that, have to pick that up, The Munsters and The Addams Family too! Those two would have been wicked in color. Just thinking about b and w tv series on CBS - all seven season of Perry Mason except one I think of the last season was in b and w, possible filming the one episode in color was a shot at getting another season? Amazon has the Sony complete set for 19.99!
I remember getting the completes series DVD sets of I DREAM OF JEANNIE and BEWITCHED for something like $16.88 each as Christmas gifts for the Mrs. about 8 years back. That price made the colorized Seasons a bit easier to swallow!

CHEERS! :)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
One thing that puzzles me about the new I DREAM OF JEANNIE Blu-ray release by Mill Creek is the mix of people who say it is at least better than the Sony DVDs, with others who insist it is a hot baked in interlaced mess, and the Sony DVDs look better! Why such a huge disparity?

I'm just trying to make sense of this.

CHEERS! :)

P.S. These two shots are from a posting within the Blu-ray dot com IDOJ Blu-ray thread, which indicate a 59.94i frame rate and 1080i HD screen resolution!:
IDOJ 1080i IMG_2574 (2).jpg
IDOJ 1080i IMG_2575 (2).jpg

Last edited:

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
Great thread on Jeanie if I could get a great deal on the dvd set I will stick with that, have to pick that up, The Munsters and The Addams Family too! Those two would have been wicked in color. Just thinking about b and w tv series on CBS - all seven season of Perry Mason except one I think of the last season was in b and w, possible filming the one episode in color was a shot at getting another season?

The one Perry Mason episode that was shot in color was done because the President of CBS at the time (Jim Aubry?) wanted to see what it would look like in color if they renewed it for a 10th season. I like that color episode because it features location filming at Los Angeles' Angels Flight.

On The Munsters DVD set they have a 15 minute pilot that was made to sell the series. The characters of Eddie and Lily are different actors. To my surprise, they filmed that pilot in color. They also colorized one of the episodes as an extra, Family Portrait. It looks great, to me.

To see what The Addams Family may have looked like in color:

Other scenes from that show and a few others can be seen at the link below:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
So do i need to change my players resolution settings to 1080I for it to play correctly?
Your player should auto upconvert to 1080P. I haven't had time to check on my normally used BD player, and was instead using an Xbox One S. I'm sure it was just a technical issue to adjust in the settings.

Robbie^Blackmon

Second Unit
My apple-logies for attempting to steer the convo back to the original topic, but it's that question of mine, again about I Dream of Jeannie: The Complete Series on Blu-ray:

Are the title sequences restored properly for each season? Or are all the shows the same as the dvd for the color era?

Robbie^Blackmon

Second Unit
My apple-logies for attempting to steer the convo back to the original topic, but it's that question of mine, again about I Dream of Jeannie: The Complete Series on Blu-ray:

Are the title sequences restored properly for each season? Or are all the shows the same as the dvd for the color era?
So, here's the 411 to my question as reported by tcr1701 at SitcomsOnline:

"No - it's the same standard theme used on the regular DVD releases and heard in syndication for decades. The end themes are correct for each season, though."

Thassa what I needa know!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks