What's new

Pre-Order I Dream of Jeannie: The Complete Series (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Now the REAL question: does the opening episode have subtitles for Jeannie before she speaks English? Until the later prints, these were on the episode.

It's a shame the unaired extended cut of the pilot wasn't included. Well, one of the many shames...
Of which the biggest of the shames appears to be that Sony didn't provide Mill Creek with the best available transfers. In my opinion, that is positively inexcusable on Sony's part!

CHEERS! :)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Hmm. Very mixed on this set. I love that the video quality is better than the SD DVD, but not as good as it could have been. Subtitles are a plus, 1080i is not. I'm getting weird motion processing on my tv with the interlaced signal, and haven't had time to fiddle with it to fix it. Switched it to 720P, and everything is fine now.

Colors pop.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Of which the biggest of the shames appears to be that Sony didn't provide Mill Creek with the best available transfers. In my opinion, that is positively inexcusable on Sony's part!

Rather like Shout Factory's "T.J. Hooker" DVD set. The first two seasons were the original Sony release and looked great, Seasons 3 - 5 were older, unrestored prints. Sony doesn't really seem to care about the home video market. I'm glad I still have the Sony "Bewitched" DVDs since they will probably be just as good as any Mill Creek blu ray.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Hmm. Very mixed on this set. I love that the video quality is better than the SD DVD, but not as good as it could have been. Subtitles are a plus, 1080i is not. I'm getting weird motion processing on my tv with the interlaced signal, and haven't had time to fiddle with it to fix it. Switched it to 720P, and everything is fine now.

Colors pop.
Thanks for your helpful insight, Bryan!

It is mind boggling to me why the decision was made to go 1080i for a filmed TV series? It just doesn't make any sense!

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
I have the individual season DVD releases of I Dream Of Jeannie from Sony, these are sufficient for me and I have no plans to invest in blu ray.

The DVD's have some imperfections but overall I think they are adequate, one thing that annoys me is the sneaky little edit in "Meet My Master's Mother", the part where Jeannie bangs on a drum for a few seconds is deleted from the DVD.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I have the individual season DVD releases of I Dream Of Jeannie from Sony, these are sufficient for me and I have no plans to invest in blu ray.

One thing I wonder-- do the individual seasonals from Sony of Jeannie have fewer episodes per disc than the overpacked Mill Creek versions?

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
One thing I wonder-- do the individual seasonals from Sony of Jeannie have fewer episodes per disc than the overpacked Mill Creek versions?
Yes. Sony used like 4 discs per season, while Millcreek used 3 discs per season. Sony had an average of 6 or 7 episodes per disc, while Millcreek put 10 episodes on a disc.
The Millcreek releases were considered a cheaper budget release aimed at those consumers who hadn't already purchased the superior Sony DVD sets, or maybe casual fans who weren't as picky about quality.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
The Millcreek releases were considered a cheaper budget release aimed at those consumers who hadn't already purchased the superior Sony DVD sets, or maybe casual fans who weren't as picky about quality.

So basically, Mill Creek was aimed at those who merely wanted to enjoy a show, and hang the quality (who didn't want it to be in sparkling crystal-clear quality), I take it.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
At least the prints for Season One are original Black & White, rather than merely decolorized!" Sadly, obviously interlaced, though.
View attachment 120096

Is that really conclusive? The original Mill Creek DVDs were without the more recent copyrights on the black and white episodes and I had heard those were "decolorized."

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Is that really conclusive? The original Mill Creek DVDs were without the more recent copyrights on the black and white episodes and I had heard those were "decolorized."
I thought the IDOJ Mill Creek DVDs had the 2000 copyrights on the first season, as well. So much confusion!

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
Was the Sony B&W season one NOT “decolorized” and just a normal version of the original B&W? Those Sony disc are what I currently have. My Blu-ray set was suppose to arrive today but it didn’t make it yet.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
Was the Sony B&W season one NOT “decolorized” and just a normal version of the original B&W? Those Sony disc are what I currently have. My Blu-ray set was suppose to arrive today but it didn’t make it yet.
I wanted to have season 1 in black and white because that's how those episodes were originally seen, so I purchased Sony's black and white season 1 DVD set back when it was first released. The episodes look fine to me, I like it although I've been told that the season 1 black and white DVD's are actually the colorized version with the color turned off.

Here's a bit of trivia: the people at NBC didn't have a lot of confidence in I Dream Of Jeannie, and the thinking at the time was that the series wouldn't continue past the 1st season. So the decision was made to save money on the budget and season 1 was not approved for color filming, that's how season 1 ended up being filmed in black and white. When the 1st season turned out to be successful and the series renewed for season 2 in 1966-67, that's the season when all black and white TV shows made the switch to color, so I Dream Of Jeannie was filmed in color from season 2 and forward.

Last edited:

HubbaBubbaKid

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Frankie
i received my set today and i already have to send it back. i just checked a few episodes and the one episode i was gonna watch all the way through—the mod party (S2 ep31) , started flickering during the episode . also my case was broken on arrival and a disc had a scratch (the 1st time i‘ve gotten a blu ray w/ a scratch) . i also played the 15 years later movie and its remastered but it looks like a 2000’s remaster , not a new one. i guess they just used the Sony Select print from that release. also, like others have said, it is mislabeled and is on the 2nd disc , not the first .

unfortunately, the episodes look almost the same as the Sony sets. the colors may be more saturated and bright but i really couldn’t tell a huge difference (i’m watching on an old 32 inch led 1080p tv so i don’t know how it looks on a 4k larger tv upscaled ), i had the Sony sets so i’m familiar with what they looked like and those looked really good also.

another weird thing was when i paused during the 15 years later movie , the screen was pixalated but went back to normal when resuming play.

about the b/w seasons being colorized with the color turned off ,that was debunked in a old thread . that was one of the first things (besides the fugitive music replacement issues )that i researched on this forum. i ended up buying the separate b/w seasons of both IDOJ and Bewitched bc the original complete series sets only had the color versions.

Pros—good price , less discs on more durable blu rays , shelf saving compact packaging , 15 years later movie included,
dts HD master audio (not sure how it sounds bc i only use the tv speakers) , original Screen Gems logo is retained at the end (but the new Sony logo follows it )

Cons —episodes not up to restored HD level. , too many episodes per disc (too soon to tell on this —but having the flickering problem is not a good sign, hopefully for MC its just a bad disc/set and not a systemic or batch problem.

overall , i’m really glad i got it (if there isn’t any more technical problems) . sure i‘m bummed that they didn’t do a full resto but i’d rather have this than a heavily DNR’d set. i just see it as downsizing the Sony set i had to a more compact set on more durable discs . luckily i was able to sell my old Sony set for almost the same amount as this set.

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
When the 1st season turned out to be successful and the series renewed for season 2 in 1966-67, that's the season when all black and white TV shows made the switch to color, so I Dream Of Jeannie was filmed in color from season 2 and forward.

That being the case, why would Hogan's Heroes on CBS be in color from the top (that one after a B/W pilot), and the same w/The FBI on ABC (being that both also started in the same 1965-66 season as NBC's Jeannie)?

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
That being the case, why would Hogan's Heroes on CBS be in color from the top (that one after a B/W pilot), and the same w/The FBI on ABC (being that both also started in the same 1965-66 season as NBC's Jeannie)?
I imagine that Hogan's Heroes and The FBI were higher budgeted shows and given the go ahead for color episodes in 1965-66.

Get Smart, which debuted on NBC in 1965-66, also has a black and white pilot episode but the other 1st season episodes are in color.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I imagine that Hogan's Heroes and The FBI were higher budgeted shows and given the go ahead for color episodes in 1965-66.

That FBI w/the late, great Efrem Zimbalist, Jr., I've been definitely looking into (despite it being a Warner Archive MOD series)-- from what I've seen, it looks like a mid-60s version of the late-50s to early-60s Robert Stack ABC Untouchables series.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks