What's new

I Dream of Jeannie Season 1 - 3/14/06! (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I think the issue with the commentaries happen with alot of older stars of older shows, I think doing a Commentary is so foriegn to alot of these stars. They just don't know how to approach such a thing. As was noted alot of these stars don't even see much beyond the dailies, i.e. they don'y look at the finished product. So when they sit down to watch a 40 year old show, which they've probably not even seen in its finished form it does ofter become them just pointing out people and places.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I kind of miss the familiar Screen Gems logo at the end. Can't believe it's on the colorized episodes and not the b/w ones. Blah.

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
I also think the colorization looks phenomenal, just like it did on the Bewitched sets.

And, yes, the original opening is on the colorized sets and I would assume the b&w as well.

Dave Jessup

Stunt Coordinator
Well, here 'tis Thursday and Jeannie is still (but temporarily) just a dream for me. The scorecard:

Best Buy had scads of the B&W, just a few color copies left. See below for why, as quoted from the good Tommy K in post 54:

Unaware of that last fact, and for other reasons, I went across the street to Circuit City to scoop up B&W Jeannie - which they didn't have at all. "Hey, this isn't Target, is it?" I said to myself. Then went back across the street to BB, whereupon I discovered the non-sale status of the B&W sets. The shelf talker did not specify "color," but apparently it made no difference: the computer was going to ring sticker price for the b&w. So I told him - as politely as I could by this time - that I wasn't interested in a colorized version of the show, and I was not interested in a non-sale original black and white version, thank you very much and goodnight.

Wal-Mart did not have it at all, far as I could see.

And an online service got my order. :D

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
It's funny, but when I went to Best Buy on the first day of the release, the shelf had a "Sale" sign on it, for $29.99 for the set. Both the color and b/w versions were scattered together on the shelf. When I went to the register with my B/W copy, the title came up as FULL PRICE, and I had to take the clerk back to the aisle with me to point out that it was supposed to be ON SALE, as according to the sign. I eventually got the credit, but I wonder if this guy didn't realize that the b/w edition perhaps WASN'T part of the sale?

Ollie

Stunt Coordinator
My local Walmart (metro Atlanta) did not have Jeannie at all. I asked the clerk, and he said it did was not with the items to be stocked, and that he had not created a display slot for it, so they probably woudln't carry it.

Last Tuesday I went this same Walmart and they did not have Cosby Show Season 2 either. I ended up going to Best Buy. They still aren't carrying it a week later, though they have Cosby Season 1 prominently displayed.

I asked the clerk if I should even waste my time next week coming there to look for Bewitched Season 3 (they had seasons 1 & 2 displayed). He suggested that I call first on Tuesday before bothering to drive out there. Has anyone else noticed their local Walmart being inconsistent with carrying newly released TV on DVD sets?

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
This is a little off-topic, but I wonder if someone knows the answer to this. I notice with some discs, if it's a mixture of 4:3 and 16:9 material, I have to manually set it to view the 16:9. For example, Avia starts out 4:3 and stays there unless I change it to Full--even on the "widescreen enhanced" material. On the other hand, Time Tunnel comes up with 16:9 menus automatically, and switches to 4:3 automatically for the presentation.

The menus on the IDOJ release look wrong in 4:3 as far as I can tell, so I switched to 16:9 mode and they looked great. I think I was correct in assuming they were 16:9, because the disc automatically changed over to 4:3 mode again when the presentation started. I don't think it would have made the change if it was 4:3 material to begin with that I was zooming in on.

What's the cause for discs that don't do this for you? An incorrectly set flag?

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
I remember watching the first episode in syndication years ago, and Larry Hagman was always incorrectly billed as Captain Tony Wilson in the closing credits for this pilot episode only. After the series sold, he became Nelson. I double checked my "Dreaming of Jeannie" book by Steve Cox (page 210) and he also pointed out this error. Yesterday, I watched the first episode on dvd yesterday, and I noticed in the closing credits that Larry Hagman was now correctly changed to Captain Tony Nelson. Anybody notice when they did the switch? Was it like that for the TV Land edits or did they do it for the dvd?

John Gido

Second Unit

BB online had 2 different prices for the colorized & B/W sets, with the B/W being $5 more. :angry:

However, the BB flyer had a picture of the colorized set next to the sale price with no mention of the B/W set. I just showed the clerk at the register the sale paper & mentioned the sign on the rack, and the price was adjusted accordingly. So, B/W IDOJ at the sale price plus $10 RZ coupon for me! :D

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
I believe that the end credits for the pilot were changed for the DVD because it seems every other time I've seen them, whether on TV Land or on the Columbia House videos, they were the wrong last name credits.

I also noticed that at the first of the episode when Jeannie speaks in the other language that there are no sub-titles like they had on some of the prints in an Arabic type font.

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
So last night I found an Easter Egg on the discs:)

On Disc 4 under the preview menus I found that the rocket highlighted and when I pressed itthe cartoon of Jeannie that they have dancing when you first load the disc comes up but the whole theme song plays. It is also augmented by having the Jeannie bottle fly around with what looks like real smoke pouring from it. It was very much like a screensaver.

I was totally hoping for something much more but it was fun to find something like that.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
After receiving my copy of I Dream of Jeannie Season 1I Dream of Jeannie Season 1 (Black and White) I've fallen in love with this all over again. It's been such a long time since I've seen this series and I can't remember when I've laughed so hard in all of my life. Sony Pictures, while I'm reluctant to give them any credit, has done a very excellent job at putting this set together.

What I'm very disappointed at is that Sony decided to colorize the first season, which it was originally filmed in Black and White (watch the "Out of the Bottle" feature on Disk 4) as indicated by Sidney Shelton.

While the first few episodes didn't seem too hilarious, when I got to the second, third and fourth disks I was laughing so hard it was hilarious. I keep laughing every time Doctor Bellows says "He's done it to me again.":D

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

But forunately, we also got the option to buy the first season in black and white (as I did also), even though it was also colorized. When I saw on the interview segment that Sidney Sheldon actually WANTED the show to be in color from the very beginning, I couldn't help but think he would have approved the colorization.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I don't think he did. Matter of fact, I think that was all Sony's idea thinking no one would buy the original black and white version.

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor

That doesn't follow. Shooting in black and white is different from shooting in colour -- in particular, it requires a different style of lighting -- so when something is colourized, it does not look the same as it would have if they'd shot in colour in the first place.

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
Am I alone here in wanting ONLY the COLOR episodes? Regardless of colorization, I have no interest whatsoever in the first season. I felt the writing for those episodes was not as good as it was for the rest of the series. To me, the show didn't take off until season 2. In fact, I Dream of Jeannie is the only show I'm interested in where I'll pass on the first season, but buy all the rest. Am I alone here?

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland

No Carlos, you aren't. I never really cared for the first season either and didn't plan on ever buying it. I actually caved though and bought it just to see if I still found it sub-par. I do. Made the same mistake with The Flying Nun. Oh well, at least I don't have to wonder... I'll probably buy IDOJ s2 and s3, but that's it. And definitely no more TFN at all!

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Well, while I'm loathe to say this, I prefer watching these older shows in their original format. For those of you clamoring about unedited shows, watching this series in color instead of the original constitutes watching an edited version of the show.

Even Gord and Dave have reported about prefering the original format of the show, in glorious black and white.

And you guys are missing some classic episodes by not picking up the first season.:D

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member

Ditto, Mark. Also my opinion. But, then, I almost alwys prefer the earlier seasons in most longer-running series for some reason. I always liked the 1st couple of seasons of IDOJ better than the later ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.