What's new

I Dream of Jeannie: Inconsistencies Discovered, History Gone Wild (1 Viewer)

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Yeah. I also noticed that Major Bellows resembles Samantha Stevens home from Bewitched. Mostly, the interior, the stairwell.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny

You'll see alot of reused/redressed sets on the "Screen Gems" Shows of the era.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I don't see why they didn't write Major Neely off the series. He's constantly screwing up and places Jeannie in over 90% of the predicaments that Jeannie finds herself in. Always messing up Major Nelson's plans to save Jeannie by opening his mouth and letting slip about Jeannie or trapping Jeannie into all kinds of predicaments.

Major Neely is nothing more than a bumbling idiot.

Brent S

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Seguine

GOMER PYLE filmed at Desilu/Paramount-Cahuenga (interior sets) in Hollywood, and 40 Acres in Culver City (exteriors).

IDOJ was a Screen Gems producton, and filmed at Columbia-Sunset/Gower (interiors) in Hollywood, and the Columbia Ranch in Burbank (exteriors).

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
That settles that. I guess it's the white picket fence. That episode where the woman driver (hee hee) keeps smashing the car and blames it on either Gomer or Sgt Carter. I thought that might be the same house as Mj Nelson.

OT, I have IDoJ complete but I can't wait until they release Gomer as a complete series set. I'll wait until I get to that Gomer episode of Andy (I have Andy complete as well) but after that'll I'll need Gomer on my shelf. Seriously can't wait!! Just talking about it here makes me crave it again. Must be one of the best spin offs ever.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
You might find these bios interesting.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Healey
Nelson Anthony

Garysb

Senior HTF Member

I remember reading that Screen Gems always matched the interior with the exterior sets. So that if Samantha's house was used on Gidget and someone went into that house, it would be the set for the living room on Bewitched. The Bewitched house was actually next to the Gidget house on the Columbia ranch. It helped with the illusion that the exteriors and the interiors were in the same place.

kmtony

Auditioning
Real Name
Tony
I LOVE IDOJ! There are many inconsistencies, however. One of the inconsistencies is that is some episodes Jeannie says that Jeannie's cannot be photographed and in other episodes she is able to be photographed with no problem. The classic episode where she cannot be photographed is when there was a wedding and she kept blinking out and blinking a manakin in to take her place.

I may not be right about this but she says that she was trapped in her bottle for 2000 years but she remembers events and fanous people who lived less than 2000 years ago Tony Salmon

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Originally Posted by kmtony ">[/url]

I LOVE IDOJ!

I may not be right about this but she says that she was trapped in her bottle for 2000 years but she remembers events and fanous people who lived less than 2000 years ago Tony Salmon[/QUOTE]I've always thought about that too! [/url]

[/QUOTE]I remember reading that Screen Gems always matched the interior with the exterior sets. So that if Samantha's house was used on Gidget and someone went into that house, it would be the set for the living room on Bewitched. The Bewitched house was actually next to the Gidget house on the Columbia ranch. It helped with the illusion that the exteriors and the interiors were in the same place.
Actually, that isn't really true. They sometimes matched, but not always. 2 cases in point: in the BW ep from Season 5, "Mrs. Stephens, Where Are You?" Miss Parsons' house is the exterior of the IDOJ house, but the interior is not the Nelson home set. And in IDOJ ep from Season 5, "My Sister the Home Wrecker," the Bellows' house is the exterior of the BW house, but the interior is not the Stephens home set. They used whatever sets were available for that week. It really had nothing to do with matching the houses on the ranch.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by kmtony ">[/url]

I LOVE IDOJ! There are many inconsistencies, however. One of the inconsistencies is that is some episodes Jeannie says that Jeannie's cannot be photographed and in other episodes she is able to be photographed with no problem. The classic episode where she cannot be photographed is when there was a wedding and she kept blinking out and blinking a manakin in to take her place.

I may not be right about this but she says that she was trapped in her bottle for 2000 years but she remembers events and fanous people who lived less than 2000 years ago Tony Salmon[/QUOTE]Tony, Welcome to the bd

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor
Not to mention that she could be seen on the crooked car dealer's commercial when she was giving him a hard time for ripping her off.

Originally Posted by Garysb

There were many inconsistencies in the story itself. In the beginning it was said Jeannie was made a genie because she refused to marry the Blue Gen. Her mother and father called it a curse. Later her whole family were genies. It was said that if a genie married she would lose her powers. Later she did marry but kept her powers. Both early and late it was said genies can't be photographed, however at least once her photo was in the newspaper.

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor
They kind of established that Genies can be confined in sealed spaces (like her bottle) but one time she was also locked in a locker that had a vent.

Originally Posted by Mark Talmadge

That's another problem. She's a Genie. A man-made safe wouldn't be able to hold her. Just like the vacuum cleaner .... but the writer's aptly decided to not let that happen ...

calypso

Auditioning
Real Name
Jonathan Redding
I'm curious as to how often everyone watches the series? I've become so fondly attached to this series, that I've fond myself fondly addicted to the series. While I've had all five seasons on DVD for quite a few years, it's only recently that I've become so addicted to the series that, during the past two weeks, that I've watched all five seasons straight through, twice. I'm about to site through another round of watching the series all over again.

I'm just curious as to how often everyone watches this wonderful series?

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor
Both Jeannie and Bewitched are like comfortable old shoes that love to wear. I don't watch the seasons all the way through but I will frequently break out a disc or 2 that I have on when I do my computer work. Sometimes I'll fall to sleep at night watching a disc.

calypso

Auditioning
Real Name
Jonathan Redding
While I watch Bewitched sporadically, I've actually become quite enthralled with I Dream of Jeannie. It's just sad that the series was canceled before it could play itself out. I would have enjoyed seeing another season or two of this series. I know that I'll be sitting down this weekend to watch another complete run of the series. I think Larry Hagman was the perfect choice for this role but I know that if I had a friend like Roger Healy that I would have socked him in the mouth for the constant backstabbing that he does when Tony tries to get out of the situations that Jeannie gets him into. He's even deliberate at trying to undermine Tony by trying to get Jeannie to dump her master.

I bring your attention to Season 2 Episode 1, when Tony almost has the Blue Djinn convinced of his own magic and Roger just barges in, turns the TV off with the remote control and fouls up Tony's plan to defeat the Blue Djinn. Then there's the many episodes where Tony has Jeannie's conniving cousin trapped in a bottle and Roger is always letting her loose.

I know that Roger wouldn't last a second around me acting like that ... but, anyway, it's time top prepare to watch the series straight through, once more.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I prefer Bewitched and spin those dics more often, but I have a soft spot for Jeannie and watch a couple of episodes every other month or so. A few episodes I never tire of: "My Master, The Rich Tycoon," "How Do You Beat Superman?" and "My Sister, The Homewrecker." I too think Larry Hagman was just perfect. And so underrated as a comic actor. He really was brilliant with both his verbal delivery and physical comedy. Sadly, people forgot all about those talents when Dallas came along. And while I agree that Roger was annoying, Bill Dailey was wonderful playing him. He and Hagman had great chemistry. The whole cast was wonderful. Just saw Barbara Eden a couple of weekends ago, and she looked terrific (as always.)

calypso

Auditioning
Real Name
Jonathan Redding
I do have to say that I thought those two reunion movies were horrible. While many decried the final season, I felt that it was a nice touch when Tony Nelson introduced Jeannie to Doctor Bellows and the General. I just felt that it brought the characters down to Earth and it added a warm feeling to the series, especially those few episodes leading up to their marriage.

One of the more touching episodes I thought was that episode where Jeannie had transferred her powers to Tony. Tony is telling Jeannie how he can solve all of the world's problems and Jeannie parts some melancholy wisdom on her master. I think it was the first and only time that the writers of the series actually wrote some serious dialogue about the responsibility of power when someone has been granted the ability to change things.

Far as the best episodes go? I thought the best episodes were the ones that had episodes featuring Djinn Djinn. I think the introduction of that character made for some of the most hilarious episodes ever produced for the series.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
The final season gets too much of a bum rap because frankly I don't see how in the world you could have sustained the status quo any longer. The plots were getting repetitive and stale by the fourth season that you had to IMO shake things up to get some new creativity in story ideas and situations. Likewise, Max marrying 99 on "Get Smart" I think also opened up some doors that were succesfully exploited in some good episodes. The results weren't always successful but I give them credit for trying.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks