I Dream of Jeannie in 2006

Discussion in 'Movies' started by David*P, Feb 28, 2005.

1. David*P

David*P Supporting Actor

David
    According to the Miami Herald on 2/25/05:

I've seen other articles on line that say that Kate Hudson has signed on. I suppose she's a good a choice as any. I'm glad it's not Jessica Simpson like was rumoured or Lindsay Lohan.

And I'm also hoping Gurinder checks her IDOJ history and makes sure that when the Jeannie in her film meets up with Tony Nelson that at that time he was a Captain, not a Cmdr.

I like the idea of this movie, that it shows Jeannie's history.

It'll be interesting to see who plays Tony. My choice would be Eric McCormack. He has the same nervous energy as Larry Hagman had.

2. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

If he was a bit younger, I'd cast Greg Kinnear as Tony Nelson.

I'm sure the movie will be awful, but if it helps us get the original series on DVD, then bring it on.

3. Beau

Beau Supporting Actor

I didn't like the rumors about Simpson or Lohan, but if it's Kate Hudson, I might actually be interested.

4. David*P

David*P Supporting Actor

David
    Now there are conflicting rumors that Jessica Alba will be Jeannie and NOT reprise her "Fantastic 4" role in the sequel.
    Ananova's site says she will be Jeannie but F4 Movies says that Jessica will NOT be Jeannie.

The Jeannie rumors also say that Jimmy Fallon will play Captain Nelson.

I'd much rather have Kate Hudson play Jeannie only because she resembles Barbara Eden...but I wouldn't complain if Jessica Alba does it...we'll have to see what happens...

5. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

Looks like Hollywood is trying hard to have the box office slump continue into the foreseeable future.

Bring on the TV series to DVD, but keep it off of the big screen.

6. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer

John Moreland
    It can't be any worse than Bewitched, which takes the prize for the worst movie I've seen in at least 10 years. And maybe it'll be cute, who knows? I like the idea of the back story, possibly using the Blue Djinn and showing how she came to be bottled up. But if nothing else, it'll usher in the DVDs of the original series.

7. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

Tony was never a commander at any time in the original, either, since that is a naval rank and Nelson was Air Force. (And a naval captain outranks a naval commander. [​IMG]) He was later promoted to major in the series and was a colonel in one of the sequel movies (I think Wayne Rogers played him in that one.) So either Gurinder misspoke in the interview or somebody's decided to change Tony's branch of service. [​IMG]

Somebody needs to tell Gurinder that there is a reason some things are plot and some things are "backstory". It is mostly because there nobody cares about the backstory except for the few items that impact the current plot. That's why the movie you make is about the plot and why you don't shoot the backstory. (This is also why, with very few exceptions, "prequels" tend to suck and suck hard. Anybody remember Butch & Sundance: The Early Years? [​IMG])

The whole appeal of Jeannie was the constrast &* conflict between ancient magic (Jeannie) and modern science (astronaut Tony Nelson) combined with forbidden (or impractical) love. (Which is why the show went straight into the toilet when the pair married.) Spending a big chunk of you film dealing with the part before you get to the story that your audience wants to see seems like a sure-fire formula for box office death.

Regards,

Joe

8. Mark E J

Mark E J Second Unit

I am a fan of the original series and have been looking forward to a IDOJ movie for quite awhile, but I have absolutely no interest in this movie.

I think it will be ten times worse than bewitched. At least
    Bewitched in it's half-assed poorly conceived way tried to be a tribute to the original series. But everything I read about the IDOJ movie suggest that it is meant to insult the series. Gurinder has stated in interviews that she is a "feminist filmmaker" that hated the original series and wants to change the movie and make it her own.

According to reports there will be no Blue Djinn or anything like the original backstory.

Supposedly this is the plotline the movie is going to follow:

The first hour is set completely in acient Persia. Jeannie (if she is even called that in the movie) is a mighty Xena like warrior, but the evil sexist males won't let women fight. So "Jeannie" dresses like a man and becomes a great war hero, but when she is found out the evil sexist males
    have her turned into a genie so she'll have to serve evil sexist males for all eternity.

The second hour has Tony finding Jeannie's bottle floating in space while on a shuttle mission. [​IMG]
    Tony frees Jeannie but turns out to be SUPRISE! an evil sexist male who uses her magic to help his career, get money, and even a wife. For some reason Jeannie falls in love with Tony gets her heart broken and loses her powers.

If this is trully what the movie is about I think it will crash and burn if it even gets made at all.

9. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    Assuming that's true, it's just another case of, "Well, at least it'll get the series out on DVD." What a load of crap. Tony wouldn't let her use her powers for anything. Not even to help her with her housework, the pig. [​IMG] I didn't see Mulan, but isn't the storyline kind of close to that Persian segment?

10. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    I LOVED the TV show growing up. Especially the B&W episodes. Hope the movie is half as funny.

11. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott
    Given the recent track record of sitcom-to-movie adaptations, that would be a lot to hope for.

12. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    Alba, though Pretty, can't act so she is going to ruin the project.

13. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

Sounds to me like the script and the director already have that covered, so Alba can hardly make things any worse. [​IMG]

Regards,

Joe

14. Raasean Asaad

Raasean Asaad Supporting Actor

Like, The Honeymooners and Bewitched...this has failure written all over it.

15. Kain_C

Kain_C Screenwriter

How many tv-to-movie adaptations have worked? Brady Bunch? ...

Uh, that's all I can think of.

Where's the M*A*S*H movie with Ashton Kutcher and Freddie Prinze Jr?

16. Kevin Hewell

Kevin Hewell Cinematographer

The Addams Family

17. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer

John Moreland

I really liked The Fugitive with Harrison Ford. I thought that was a perfect example of tv-to-film.

18. Tarkin The Ewok

Tarkin The Ewok Supporting Actor

A little show called Star Trek had some pretty successful film adaptations. [​IMG]

Although I haven't seen the TV show to compare, the first Mission: Impossible movie works on its own merits.

19. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer

John Moreland
    Oh, and The Untouchables. Almost forgot about that one.

20. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott
    I think there's a real difference between taking the original cast and moving them to the big screen, a la Star Trek and Serenity, and the sort of "re-imagining" that we normally get and usually results in a train wreck (and not a good train wreck, like in The Fugitive).