What's new

I Dream of Jeannie Complete Series (1 Viewer)

jacktripper1

Stunt Coordinator
Joined
Oct 30, 2006
Messages
214
Real Name
Jacob
Now as we know, Sony has a habit of turning season sets into complete series sets with bonus extra features after we had already bought previous season sets. So I was wondering..... Does this mean that after the fifth season of IDoJ is released... the complete series set will come out with the I Dream of Jeannie 15 Years Later, and I Still Dream of Jeannie TV movies as added bonus features? This seems to be completely unfair....
 

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Mar 6, 2004
Messages
5,157
Location
Los Angeles, CA
Real Name
John Moreland
Well, actually they have only done that with one series: Seinfeld, their crown jewel. Neither the What's Happening!! nor Soap complete series sets had any bonus content. I doubt Jeannie will as well.
 

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
Joined
Mar 24, 2004
Messages
1,210
jacktripper1 said:
TV movies as added bonus features? This seems to be completely unfair....
Sony hasn't announced a complete series set for IDOJ or any special features, so I wouldn't get upset about it just yet.
Paramount is the studio that is notorious for releasing complete series sets with bonus features not found on the individual releases (ie: I Love Lucy, Andy Griffith Show, and The Brady Bunch).
Actually, Sony should be commended for finishing IDOJ at all. They must have the largest catalog of unfinished series left in limbo for years.
Also, their new packaging for the complete series of What's Happening and Soap is horrible, so I'm glad I bought the individual releases.
 

jacktripper1

Stunt Coordinator
Joined
Oct 30, 2006
Messages
214
Real Name
Jacob
Ron Lee Green said:
Paramount is the studio that is notorious for releasing complete series sets with bonus features not found on the individual releases (ie: I Love Lucy, Andy Griffith Show, and The Brady Bunch).
Sorry, but I beg to differ. I Love Lucy had the I Love Lucy Movie and a colorized episode. TAGS had a whole disc of new special material. And TBB also had a whole disc devoted to new special material.
 

chadHobbick

Stunt Coordinator
Joined
Jun 5, 2006
Messages
154
Real Name
Chad
I think the only reason that we are completing IDoJ is b/c when they originally started releasing the seasons there was an IDoJ movie in the works, and has been ever since. I think that Sony kept releasing the sets b/c they thought the movie would eventually come out and would be a great tie in, but alas no movie as of yet which is great for the original fans as we now get to complete the series.
 

David*P

Supporting Actor
Joined
Jan 30, 2004
Messages
986
Location
Utah
Real Name
David
jacktripper1 said:
You're forgetting about Bewitched, John. Bewitched will be coming out with all new special features. What do you think Ering Murphy was doing all that stuff for? I also contacted her awhile ago on Myspace and she told me that there would be special features in the CS set that was previously unseen on season sets.
Jack, Sony has not ever told us that they will be coming out with all new special features. Erin shot the stuff for the Complete Series set that was released in Japan. And not to discredit Erin, but she doesn't work at Sony and knowing how they are I can't imagine them including it. All I honestly see them doing is just packaging what we all ready have in addition to the Seasons 7 & 8 sets in one big most likely crappy package like "What's Happening".
Japan also received a featurette on the colorized discs about how they do the colorizing that we never got....
...but who knows? Maybe Sony will see the error of their ways when it comes down to finally releasing BW: The Complete Series....hopefully they'll just give us the Japanese set but Americanized.
Here is what the Japanese boxed set looks like:
htf_imgcache_31717.gif

According to the Sony Japan site (‰œ‚³‚Ü‚Í–‚—:ƒjƒ…[ƒX) that set also includes all the "Tabitha" spin off episodes and the BW movie with Nicole Kidman. I think that's awesome! The only thing missing is the "Tabitha and Adam and the Clown Family" cartoon from the 70s.
But back to IDOJ...I would hope they would also include the TV-movies, as bad as they were, and also the Jeannie cartoon from the 70s, as bad as it was....but this is all hopeful wishing....
 

LizH

Second Unit
Joined
May 2, 2004
Messages
343
jacktripper1 said:
You're forgetting about Bewitched, John. Bewitched will be coming out with all new special features. What do you think Ering Murphy was doing all that stuff for? I also contacted her awhile ago on Myspace and she told me that there would be special features in the CS set that was previously unseen on season sets.
If Bewitched is getting a CS set, I think this bodes well for I Dream of Jeannie getting one too. :)
 

Ron68

Supporting Actor
Joined
Oct 26, 2006
Messages
509
Real Name
Ron
I've been wanting to get this series for a long time but keep putting it off. I'd buy a complete series set only if it contains the first season in black/white, otherwise forget it. The TV movies would be interesting to see but they aren't a big concern of mine.
 

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2005
Messages
2,379
Don't count on a black and white first season to be included with the complete series set. Sony is trying to reach new fans for this series by including the 'bastardized' color version. I don't mean to be offending to anyone but when ity comes to classic television you don't mess around with colorizing the original black and white version of any movie or television series. It just takes something out of the production.
I can tell you that when I was introduced to a lot of these television shows, it was way back in the early to mid-70's and these black and white television shows are the only outlet that most of us, who remember these original version, can relate to and reminisce about our childhood. It brings back that time of innocence that has become lost in the race for cheap laughs and expensive production costs.
None of the current shows, from the nineties to present could ever be classified as classics because they lack that special creativity that existed back in the sixties and seventies.
 

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Oct 12, 2005
Messages
4,283
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Mark Talmadge said:
None of the current shows, from the nineties to present could ever be classified as classics because they lack that special creativity that existed back in the sixties and seventies.
Untrue and unfair. In comparison with the 60s, what today's shows lack is naivete', not creativity.
 

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Joined
Feb 24, 2007
Messages
1,728
Real Name
Joe Corey
Mark Talmadge said:
None of the current shows, from the nineties to present could ever be classified as classics because they lack that special creativity that existed back in the sixties and seventies.
Two Words: The Wire.
 

jacktripper1

Stunt Coordinator
Joined
Oct 30, 2006
Messages
214
Real Name
Jacob
Mark Talmadge said:
None of the current shows, from the nineties to present could ever be classified as classics because they lack that special creativity that existed back in the sixties and seventies.
I REALLY haven't heard so much bs since my aunt told me a few weeks ago that Santa Claus is actually real. Honestly.... the lack of intelligences of some people.
 

Ron68

Supporting Actor
Joined
Oct 26, 2006
Messages
509
Real Name
Ron
Mark Talmadge said:
Don't count on a black and white first season to be included with the complete series set. Sony is trying to reach new fans for this series by including the 'bastardized' color version. I don't mean to be offending to anyone but when ity comes to classic television you don't mess around with colorizing the original black and white version of any movie or television series. It just takes something out of the production.
I can tell you that when I was introduced to a lot of these television shows, it was way back in the early to mid-70's and these black and white television shows are the only outlet that most of us, who remember these original version, can relate to and reminisce about our childhood. It brings back that time of innocence that has become lost in the race for cheap laughs and expensive production costs.
None of the current shows, from the nineties to present could ever be classified as classics because they lack that special creativity that existed back in the sixties and seventies.
I ended up ordering the black and white version of Season 1 off Amazon, as well as Seasons 2,3 and 4, since they finally put it on sale. Usually they only put the colourized version on sale, so now I don't need to wait for the complete series. I love how b/w movies and TV shows look on DVD. I have always been used to B/W, since my family didn't get a Colour TV until I was 8. I love shows from all eras but just prefer more shows from the 60s and 70s because these are the ones I grew up with, whether in first run broadcast or syndication. :)
 

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Mar 6, 2004
Messages
5,157
Location
Los Angeles, CA
Real Name
John Moreland
Good news for those who want the set, but that is the UGLIEST packaging I've ever seen. :eek: :thumbsdown:
God knows what the Bewitched set will look like.
Interesting they list the same disc count as the season sets total. If the 20 disc count is correct, these won't be the same discs from the season sets, as they'll have to be lumping more eps on at least some of the discs to make room for the movie.
 

David*P

Supporting Actor
Joined
Jan 30, 2004
Messages
986
Location
Utah
Real Name
David
I think it's an interesting concept to have it in the bottle, especially with the right designed bottle, but it's just too bulky or inconvenient...
Now I gotta figure out what to do with all the season sets to get at least some money back:frowning:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Sign up for our newsletter

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more







You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
357,022
Messages
5,128,696
Members
144,257
Latest member
acinstallation496
Recent bookmarks
0
Top