I don't want to throw away my old AR speakers but c'mon...

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Andre Barros, Dec 16, 2003.

1. Andre Barros

Andre Barros Stunt Coordinator

I posted this a while back...

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=136982

and it turns out that the Rock Partners where not as new as I thought. The moment I touched the foam around the woofers it just desintegrated. Both of the woofers now have cracked foams. So, I e-mail AR back in May and get the following response from someone (apparently not AR).

"Thank you for your e-mail. Please be advice that we do have the woofers for
    the rock partners and the cost is $59.95 each plus shipping, and we also
    have drivers for all other AR product. You can contact our parts dept at the
    following address.
    Speakers last a long time but the Rock Partners where made mid 1980 so
    therefore they are old.
    AB TECH SERVICES
    17C AIRPORT DR
    HOPEDALE, MA 01747
    TEL#508-478-9800
    Thank you
    Carlos"

Now, US$ 59.95 + international shipping to Brazil + 70% import tax = NOT WORTH IT.

Even so I want to try and save them, at least part of them (maybe I'll put them outside or something). So, would it be a sin to purchase a pair of 8" non AR and less expensive woofers and replace the original ones with the new "aftermarket" ones? What kind of result can I expect from this? Or maybe there is such thing as replacing the foam and not the entire woofer, is there?

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

By the way, what happened to AR? Their website has been down for the last couple of weeks.

Best regards,

André

2. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

Have you considered a re-foam kit? You simply follow the procedure to remove the original foam surround and install a fresh, new one.

3. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Yeah, yeah: just need a kit to replace the rubber surrounds. A place like mcmelectronics.com or partsexpress.com might have one.

4. Doug Brewster

Doug Brewster Second Unit

"By the way, what happened to AR? Their website has been down for the last couple of weeks."

Longer than that, actually. Several months (at least off and on).

Heard they went belly-up and sold. Seems they'll be returning soon. Can't remember who bought them out, but I remember I wasn't happy about the group who did.

5. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

The refoaming kits are the way to go. Not a difficult process and spectacularly cost effective.