I don't want to start paying extra for HD programming!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Captain Spaulding, Jul 16, 2002.

1. Captain Spaulding

Captain Spaulding Second Unit

Jay
    I really enjoy HDNet and the HBO HD channel from DirecTV. HDNet is free, and the HBO feed comes with my regular HBO subscription; thus no extra costs. And network, OTA broadcasts are, of course, free. However, Discovery Channel's HD programming is beginning on Dish Network for a fee. Mark Cuban says that HDNet will expand programming, but may become a subscription package. See this link:
    HDTV Article
    I just can not see myself shelling out yet more bucks to DirecTV for HD. If HD becomes subscription only, that's when I'll seriously think about DVHS for programming. Anyone feel the same....or not?

2. Michael St. Clair

I'd happily pay $5-$8 a month for Discovery HD if Warner Cable would pick it up.

In my opinion I do pay for HDTV. I pay several bucks a month for Showtime HD. Yeah, I get a dozen other standard-def Showtime channels with it, but that's not why I am paying.

HBO I did already have...for The Sopranos, Six Feet Under, and Curb Your Enthusiasm.

3. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Yeah, it sucks when people ask you to pay extra for a higher-quality product. [​IMG]

4. DennisHP

DennisHP Second Unit

I agree with Jay. The "higher-quality product" we already paid for is our expensive HDTV's. How many of us would have purchased them if we knew we would have to pay for the use of the feature?

5. MickeS

MickeS Producer

I already pay $80 a month for my cable. I won't spend a single dime more for HD, they're already making money hand over fist.

/Mike

6. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    I tune in HDnet every now and then. For free it has its moments, but they better have aot better than colorado Rockies games and Hogan's Heroes and Speed Racer if they want me to pay for it. HBO? For Cropped Movies? C'mon. And as Sopranos etc I'd wait for the anamorphic DVD's

7. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Are the HD movies cropped too? It always pisses me off that the movie channels show cropped movies. If HBO didn't have original programming I'd get rid of it.

/Mike

8. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Supporting Actor

$8 a month WITH commercials!!!!
    And of course you've already paid for an expensive STB to receive those commercials. Wow, I can't wait to see the Blowflex in HD. [​IMG]
    Pete

9. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    showtime-hd still airs many movies in full frame with bars on the sides.

10. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

That sucks. I'll have to start emailing HBO and Showtime now about OAR HD.

11. James Stierman

James Stierman Stunt Coordinator

Satallite providers will never be able to boadcast local channels in HD. So my suggestion is get an antenna to get HD, and a TV with a built in HD tuner. Lots of network shows are in HD. Also if you have cable by the end of the year they will be passing threw HD signals for free if you tv has a built in tuner you can recieve them. This is the plan from the FCC. If you don't have a built in tuner then you will have to rent a STB from them.
    http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_publi...C-224218A1.pdf

12. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I currently have 2 digital STBs from TWC in Cary, NC. When I called them they've indicated I need to switch to an HD box on my HDTV, but that the rental will be the same as my current digital boxes.

13. Michael St. Clair

14. John Tillman

John Tillman Supporting Actor

James said:

15. Michael St. Clair

16. James Stierman

James Stierman Stunt Coordinator

Allow me to clarify, you will only be able to get networks in HD on a national feed. I live in detroit so I will not be able to get WWJ-TV unless i add an antenna(everyone should have an antenna anyway) Dish Network just doesn't have the compression technology to put local channels in HD for the all the major makets, theres not enough bandwith.

17. Mark Booth

Mark Booth Screenwriter

From the information I've gathered in various forums and web sites concerning Cox Cable's HD offernings the pricing scenario looks like this:

• Basic over the air HD channels will cost no more than the cost of renting the box. That cost is likely to be no more than renting a (non-HD) digital cable box.

• HBO HD and Showtime HD will be no extra cost if you already subscribe to the non-HD versions of each.

• Certain other premium HD content (apparently, such as Discovery HD) will likely require an additional subscription fee. Figures in the $5-$6 per month range have been discussed.

So, basically, to get it all (what's currently available in HD) will cost only $5 or $6 per month more than what you are already paying (provided you are already subscribing to HBO and Showtime).

To have ALL of my channel choices (both HD and non-HD) to be tuned from a single set-top box, I'd easily pay even $10-$15 per month extra.

Bring it on!

Mark