I don't understand ... Panasonic RP82 vs. CP72

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chad Ellinger, Dec 7, 2002.

1. Chad Ellinger

Chad Ellinger Second Unit

I'm in the market for a new DVD player, and I've heard great things about Panasonic's new line of players with the Faroujda deinterlacer. I was pretty much set on getting an RP82, but then I looked at the 5-disc CP72. From what I can tell, the CP72 is identical to the RP82 with the following differences:
    • The CP72 lacks a coaxial digital output
    • The CP72 can store 4 more discs
    • With a $30 rebate, the CP72 is the same price or cheaper than the RP82
    So, maybe I'm missing something, but if I don't need coaxial output, is there any reason to go with an RP82 over a CP72? Thanks for your input.

2. JasonLC

JasonLC Stunt Coordinator

No they are identical except for the reasons you listed. Get the CP72K it is one awesome player!!!

3. Brad A

Brad A Agent

Is the lack of a coaxial digital output a bad thing? uhhh....please excuse my ignorance, I'm just learning [​IMG]

4. JasonLC

JasonLC Stunt Coordinator

No it isn't a bad thing if a dvd player lacks a coaxial digital output as long as you do have an optical/toslink input available on your receiver. There is no difference in sound between the two digital carriers because all they carry is digital 1s and 0s. I I have found coaxial to be a little more flexible and cheaper since you can use just any good shielded 75ohm RCA cable for runs under 10feet or so. Optical is good because it isn't possible to get interference into the digital bitstream because it is through fiber optics and not wounded cable. Either choice will work perfect so the fact that the Cp72 has only optical/toslink output on it would only be a no-go for you if your receiver only has coaxial inputs.

5. Neil Weinstock

Neil Weinstock Stunt Coordinator

Some find coaxial to sound better, and prefer it to optical. I'm not arguing whether that's true (a religious argument that has been beaten to death already) but some do prefer coax.

I think the RP-82 also has a "remastering" feature that the CP-72 lacks. As I own the latter and not the former, I've never figured out what that is, but by all indications it's not very important (perhaps useless).

All in all, the CP-72 is a great player for the money. I'm very happy with mine.