What's new

I don't think my SVS broke in! (1 Viewer)

Joe Blech

Stunt Coordinator
I purchased my PB2+ about a month and a half ago I guess. I took it out of the box, put it in place, and fired it up. After some quick calibration, I put in some THX demos, LOTR, Minority Report, and the like. "Wow", I said - "that sounds really good!"
However, the point of this post is this - there was a part of me that was almost feeling like - is this it? It's good - but it's not totally blowing me away. However, over the past couple weeks it has COMPLETELY blown me away, and I DON'T think that it "broke in" or that there was any major change in placement or calibration.

I think that SVS subs (and other extremely high quality subs) have a sound that you almost have to get used to. When I say that, I mean that I was used to a boomy, loud, 10" sub before this one. It was constantly booming (distorting) and making noise. The PB2+ creates a low frequency sound that blends with my mains so nicely that you practically forget that it is on and you're thinking, "What's the deal, is this thing gonna start rockin or what?". However, when the CDA agents place the lid over the sock and press the detonation button, you VERY QUICKLY realize that your sub is a cut above the rest - and that is an understatement.

It's really nice to invest in a product that keeps getting better and better the more you listen. This sub has COMPLETELY spoiled me - it adds SOOOO much to the listening experience! :emoji_thumbsup:

Did anyone else experience this as well? I could NOT be happier with my purchase! To all you brand new SVS owners - Time for some REAL bass - calibrate, and then listen, listen, listen!

By the way - I just picked up Titan A.E. - this is a DO NOT MISS for bass freaks!!!!:emoji_thumbsup: It knocked things off the counter in my bathroom down the hall!

Edited to say that I should have called it a PB12-Plus/2. And also that I was PISSED that I missed the last AZ GTG! I would have LOVED to have been there!

GrahamT

Supporting Actor

I totally agree. I had to get used to clean bass when I built my Tempest. It probably wasn't as loud as the three subs it replaced but it was nice and clean, eq'd flat too.

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
Had the same experience with music on my SVS PC Ultra. I was listening one afternoon, enjoying the full sound, then thought "wow, I forgot to turn on the sub". Thing is that is was on so I turned it off and much of the fullness went away. It's nice that everything blends that seemlessly.

Mort

MikeHU

Stunt Coordinator
Joe, I had the exact same experience. Boomy little paradigm sub, and then a SVS - wow what a difference in those high impact scenes in movies! Also try the Monsters Inc. trailer in Toy Story 2 - the 1st time I swore someone was pounding on my house!!:D Lots of fun.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Good bass is not impressive to the inexperienced ear.

It shouldn't call attention to itself, except in ridiculous music or scenes like the star wars flyover.

Ryan Tsang

Second Unit
I experienced this same thing when I got my Servo-15. After messing a couple nights with placement and eQ (flat +/-3db), it sounded quiet. But when it hits, it hits hard. I'm even using the sub for music now, now that it blends in so smoothly that it simply adds foundation to the music, nothing more (until I throw on some dance/rap tracks).

Spread the word...clean bass is the sh**!!

Joey_V

Second Unit
Good call! As an SVS PC+ owner, I can tell you that these things are killer good! I'm glad I saved up for this guy instead of pinching pennies and getting something that wouldnt satisfy me.

It's nice to know that the sub is there to complete the music instead of color it. Also, its cool to have the ability to really have it pound biosterously when it needs to.

Two thumbs up for the SVS 25-31PC+! I dont even have upgraditis anymore regarding the subwoofer, unless I was presented with a killer deal on the SVS PB12+/2. :D

Ronneil Camara

Stunt Coordinator
Well, 2 of my friends came over today. If you recall 2 days ago, I posted asking about using Radio Shack spl meter and Avia disc. What I am saying here is, I've calibrated my system.

Today, I demoed to them Spider Man 2, Blade 2 - DTS, Pod Race from Star Wars 1. They were just like,
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif
Honestly!

We watched @ -17db. They kept asking me where I bought those 2 bookshelf speakers(Paradigm Atoms). They thought it was the main speakers. :laugh: I told them the reason why their movie experience was really awesome. I told them that the reason why it was nice is because of that black cylinder monster in the corner. ;)

I'm also thinking that the material used in my home theater room(basement) is helping with the sound. It's carpeted, drywalls with insulation and ceiling panels that's kinda like a cork(http://literature.usg.com/pdf/SC1841.pdf). That's the exact material I have now. What I mean is, I am not hearing any bouncing sound.

Well, I'd like to thank people here that helped me decide what subwoofer to buy last April. ;) Aight guys!!! Btw, it's a 20-39 PCi model cylinder sub.

Joey_V

Second Unit
Ronneill,
Kind of off topic, but I think that we live very close to each other. You've been to Bose Huntley, so have I. I bet you went to the same Crystal Lake or Dundee Tweeter I went to (and Bestbuy)! LOL... love to see your setup one day. You should come by one day to listen to mine.

Back to your regularly scheduled topic.

Ronneil Camara

Stunt Coordinator
You're like a CIA. You know that I have been to Bose Huntley before. Hmmm. :D I couldn't remember where I posted that. Tweeter in Crystal Lake, you know it too. :frowning: Just kidding. Sure, I can stop by to listen to your setup. I will also invite you. Just private msg me.

Joey_V

Second Unit
Im not CIA... it just says it in your "My HT Short History" link. I only remember it because it popped at me when I read it. ;)

I'll pm you sometime around my winter break when I go back home to huntley for 2 weeks. School's getting into the crunch mode right now, with finals and everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks