What's new

I don't think i'll ever get over seeing the WTC Towers. (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
After the horror of seeing the twin towers collapse, their was much talk here about what will happen to t.v. shows and movies that feature the towers, and at the time I thought that they should be left alone to memorialize them.
But i'm finding it hard.
It's been three months today, and since then i've seen them many times in various movies and t.v. shows, and everytime I do I find myself shaking my head, and not being able to concentrate on the scene at hand seeing them standing their. Now, i'm not saying they should be removed, all i'm saying is, I thought I would be able to get used to seeing them all the time, but I can't.
Everytime I see them, even in a comedy, all I can think of is the violent end that is going to befall those two buildings and the so many lives they will take with them, and I can't enjoy myself until they cut to something else. It's like looking through a window into the past, and spotting someone you know is going to be violently murdered. That's the best way I can put it.
Is anyone else finding it hard also seeing them everywhere in films and t.v. shows?
If I havn't gotten used to seeing them after three months, I don't think I ever will.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I find that I really NOTICE the towers now whenever I see them in a movie (I recently watched Men In Black for the first time in a couple of years), but I have to say it doesn't really bother me. This tragedy doesn't seem to have affected me like it has everyone else.
It's been almost four months
How many now? :)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I always notice the Twin Towers in movies and TV shows now, and doing so takes me back to a better time. Maybe that sounds corny, but when I see a show or movie with the Twin Towers in the background, it takes me back to events in my life prior to September 11th and makes me feel as though the world prior to that fateful day was a better, safer world. This happened last night when I caught part of Staying Alive on cable. There is a scene where John Travolta is walking the streets of New York City late at night, and you can see the Twin Towers with lights on in the background. Watching that scene was strange, knowing that it was filmed 18 years before the Twin Towers were taken away from us.
This may sound overboard, but when I think back to events before September 11th, I think of a relatively innocent world where things were better. The events of September 11th were obviously so unexpected and sudden, that I get an eery feeling thinking of events that occurred just prior to that day. I remember so clearly watching the Monday night football game between the Giants and Broncos the night before. Obviously, I had no idea what would unfold the next morning. When watching the game, my biggest bother in life was that the Giants weren't playing well. By 10 a.m. the next day, who cared about football? I also remember Labor Day weekend just a week earlier. My girlfriend and I went to Pittsburgh to visit her parents and friends. We walked around downtown Pittsburgh without a care in the world. Now, Pittsburgh isn't New York, but I do get an eery feeling when I think back to standing on Mount Washington at night and viewing the Pittsburgh skyline just a week before the New York City skyline was horribly altered. :frowning:

Chris Beveridge

Second Unit
Having been told so many times in the past 3 months that the images should be removed and that seeing them will cause me trauma or make me uncomfortable, I end up not being able to do anything but joke when it happens. My wife does the same.

A good number of anime shows we've watched recently feature the Towers. One had taken place 50 years or so in the future in an already destroyed world and took place in the ruins of NYC, but the towers still stood. Well, until the giant alien reptile created a tsunami that destroyed them.

At that point, we both said "help help, I'm unable to handle seeing this image! help help!" or other such things. Can't help it. Just end up laughing and move on. Seeing it in live action stuff generally results in the same thing such as Sopranos and other NYC based shows and movies.

Maybe we're just not sensitive people. Nahhh. We had a couple of friends on the first plane that hit and we've gone to more memorial services that first month than I want to count. We just refuse to be traumatized and ruled by an image.

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
I know what you guys mean ...
I used to go to the Greatest Bar on Earth on the 107th Floor religiously to get drunk on Friday nights. They had great swing bands and 70's Disco. Great scene ...
The other night my girfriend was watching Sleepless in Seattle and there is a scene at the end where Meg Ryan is sitting with her future husband in Windows of the World overlooking the Empire State Building and my heart just sank ...
I must admit though that of all the times I was up on the 107th floor I always felt uneasy being that high up ... but a few Chardonays always made me chill out and feel like I was on top of the world :)

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
On September 10th I watched a show about the power of television. The images we see and how it affects us. Historical events that millions, even billions could witness. It went on about JFK, Vietnamn, mans landing on the moon, the Munich Olympics, Watergate, Space Shuttle disaster, Tiananmen Square, Gulf War... the program ended with the sidenote 'After all these events, what else is to come?'

Like I said, I watched this on September 10th.

I have not had a hard time looking at footage of the twin towers. They were beautiful and held me in awe since I was a little boy. But their gone and I have had to come to terms with that. Thats all.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I somewhat underestimated the impact of what happened in the days following. All I can say is that it still hurts.

--

Holadem

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
Whenever I see the towers in a movie or tv, I get mad. And I like getting mad. I don't want to forget about the tragedy. I don't want it to become a faint memory. I want to stay mad and angry, so that my resolve doesn't change about insuring that this never happens again.

Americans are too quick to forget. We see a great tragedy, say to ourselves "glad that didn't involve me", and go on with our lives. It's already happening with the 9/11 tragedy. Some people are already questioning why we are fighting in Afghanastan. They have already forgotten the horror of that day.

When Waco happened, and the long standoff took place, people started saying "leave them alone. End it. They have't done anything wrong! Who Cares! This is going on too long." They had already forgotten the ATF agents who were killed in the beginning of the siege. People had forgotten the images of those agents being shot, through the walls, by the Davidians. (I'm not going to argue whether the whole situation was right or wrong. These agents were doing their jobs and were serving a valid warrant. Regardless of the other crap that happened, or any of the BS that was said, they didn't deserve to be killed, and the people who shot them should be taken into custody).

Americans have too short a memory. We need to remember what happened, and forever let us change the way we think, act and react. If that means seeing the towers in movies, or tv shows, all the better. This was horrific, and should not be forgotten.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
New York is like a second home. What will seem wier is not seeing the towers standing in that spot in lower Manhatten. It was a symbol of power, a gateway to NYC. Now that area is hopelessly naked. I would like to see some other spot closeby developed with a new World Trade Centre someday. It's hard to believe that the Empire State Bldg is now the tallest building in NYC.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I agree with what Randy said.

I also always reflect on the events of the last 3 months when I see the towers in a picture, tv-show or a movie, but it also makes me feel good in a weird way. Like seeing a picture of a dead relative or friend can make you miss them, but it's also comforting and reminds you of the good times you had.

/Mike

RicP

Screenwriter
If you think it's hard seeing the Towers on tv, try not seeing them every time you look out of your window.
For over 3 years they were the centerpiece of my living room window view...
...and now they're gone.
Some days it's difficult to even look out my window. :frowning:

Jon_B

Screenwriter
In contrast to Keith, when I see the twin towers in older movies I can't stop thinking of what is to come for those buildings. :frowning:
Jon

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Randy said:

Americans are too quick to forget. We see a great tragedy, say to ourselves "glad that didn't involve me", and go on with our lives. It's already happening with the 9/11 tragedy.
Without trying to get political, maybe this is happening already. I am seeing fewer American flags on cars these days than I did, say, a month ago.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
The movie that made the towers stand out to me was The French Connection (the towers were only ~50% complete during filming)...

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
It's funny Ric because you know that MSA was knocked down in Indy this summer. Indy is small enough and the positioning of MSA was right in line with the circle just about 3 blocks east of it, that its a major impact on the skyline. I feel bad even mentioning how strange THAT is in light of the WTC. But it is not only saddening to think of the lost memories, but disorienting when not seeing it where it should be.
Also, having gone over and watched them blow it up I was able to have some grasp of what it was like to be in NYC when the WTC fell. I'm sure it was like the end of the world quite literally. Knowing the explosion was coming the power of it still shocked me and the dust flew more than you would think from TV. With 10 times the power and dust it must have put people into shock just to see them fall.
And on top of all this, everytime I see the WTC I think of that stewardess on the phone trying to find landmarks and stuff to help with the hijacking, then she realized they were headed for downtown NYC and screamed "oh my god" just before impact.
I have no problem with our Afghan policy needless to say, except to wonder why their isn't more bloodshed. Call me old school I suppose.
And we have about 12 dorks sitting outside the fed building in Indy PROTESTING. Violence and anger against them is obviously no answer, but just give me a time machine so that they can stand on top of the WTC with their signs of protest on 9/11. Why do I get the feeling that they would suddenly be the first to ask for blood?
Victim's rights can never be TOO appreciated, especially in modern America where victim's guilt is so vogue. :frowning:

Larry Price

Stunt Coordinator
Used to work in 7WTC , now work 6 blocks north on the 29th floor with a "good" view of ground zero (mostly cranes from this vantage point).

Contrary to erasing the images, I seem to feel better when Im reminded of what they once were. They (not just the buildings - but the whole atmosphere - people/subways/greenmarkets on Tuesdays and Thursdays/daily summer concerts on the plaza) were a part of my life for 8 years and I dont want to forget them. Yes I may cringe once in a while , but I also joke with colleagues about the daily happenings - our complaints about the a/c system in the summers - the light that reflected off the towers into my office at a certain time in the afternoon, etc.)

Ive noticed the images alot more - probably took them for granted before - but I dont want to erase their image.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks