What's new

I don't see the chroma "bug"... (1 Viewer)

Espen Braathen

Stunt Coordinator
Gear:
Sony DVP-NS700 (european version with RGB output and SACD playback).
Pioneer DV-09 Elite (US region 1 model).
Panasonic 36 inch 16:9 format direct view CRT telly.

The Sony was connected using RGB (SCART), the Pioneer using s-video. I tried out a couple of the scenes from The 5th Element recommended on "Secrets of Home Theater" and quite frankly I did not see the offending color streaking...

Both the red panic button and the blue Zoork sign had a nice color rendering with no obvious edge problems.

Is my picture to small?

Of course I live in PAL land which uses special color processing, but this should not be invoked for RGB signals (and the s-video signal is "NTSC" spec).

Has anyone else in Europe seen the chroma "bug" in action on a television?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Espen, first, I'm not in Europe, so I can't help you in that respect. I have read comments from many people who not see the chroma bug using players that are known to show it. A lot of it has to do with the display one uses and how carefully one looks for it. If you can't see it from your viewing position, don't worry about it. The larger the display one uses, the easier it is to identify the chroma bug. In any event, don't worry about it. Don't go around looking for it. :)

Jim_F

Screenwriter
Sorry, but I'm not in Europe, either.

I very rarely notice it on my 53" RPTV (~48" when using vertical compression) It's my understanding that the error is much less obvious on smaller displays. On a 16:9 display over 72" or so I suppose it might bother me.

If the same model player as mine (S9KES) had been available without the bug for an extra $50, I'd probably have bought it, just because, but I wouldn't consider it an important factor in choosing a player. For example, my player can capture a still picture to display whenever the machine powers up-a very minor but cool feature. I use it to show my own personal splash screen at the beginning of a viewing session. I personally wouldn't trade this small feature for the removal of the chroma upsampling error.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks