I don't know what to do!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Burke, Nov 28, 2001.

1. Scott Burke

Scott Burke Second Unit

Scott B.
    I recently wrote about my troubles in getting my computer to recognize the USB port, so that I can get my MP3 player/writer to be able to download songs from my computer. I have tried calling Panasonics help twice. Everytime they say they are going to call me, but always call when no one is home. They told me they would call Thanksgiving morning. However, I waited until 2pm and they did not call.

If someone knows how to get the computer to recognize that it has a usb port so that it will recognize the usb card reader/writer I would be greatful.

I have a IBM aptiva, running windows 98. I have followed the instructions with the player to no avail. I have tried installing a generic usb driver, but the computer never recognizes the port. Nothing is working. Somebody please help.

I did try the reply posters advice from previous thread, but it did not work.

Thank you.

2. Jason Merrick

Jason Merrick Supporting Actor

Jason Merrick
    I take it you've already checked your bios settings to make sure USB is enabled? I have no idea how much computer knowledge you have, so just in case, your BIOS settings are accessed when you first boot your computer. Usually your screen will display a message indicating what button to press to enter BIOS Setup. I've seen various keys used, from F2, F8, F10 to DEL. Was your USB port factory installed? Or is it an aftermarket pci card? If pci, have you checked device manager for any conflicts?

3. Thomas_Jones

Thomas_Jones Auditioning

1. Update Windows (don't install 2000 or ME if you don't want to, just use "Windows Update" to get the latest patches for 98)

2. Check for motherboard updates.

3. Clean out programs you don't use, or format and reinstall.

Just a few possible suggestions. Good luck.

4. John DeSantis

John DeSantis Stunt Coordinator

Does the device manager list "Universal serial bus contollers?

5. DaveM

DaveM Extra

Another thing to check under the Device Manager is for any "unknown" items. If you tried to install this USB device before and it failed, then the device is going to be installed as an unknown device. You need to delete this from the Device Manager under the "unknown" items, reboot, and then follow the instructions that came with the device to make sure that it is installed correctly.

6. Scott Burke

Scott Burke Second Unit

Scott B.
    Actually, no I have never thought to check the BIOS thank you for that suggetion.

This must be a factory installed port becasue I have never installed anything into this particular computer.

After trying to install the usb port there was nothing that came up in the device manager.

I will try the suggestions and report back as to my success/failure. Thank you very much!