I don't have a cellphone!

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Gary->dee, Oct 19, 2004.

1. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

Anyone else? Sometimes I feel like the only living person without one. I see all these people standing or walking around talking on their phones and I wonder: who are they talking to? Obviously I have no life because I can't even imagine talking to someone on a cellphone. I'm very technically inclined, but whenever someone I do know hands me their cellphone to use on that rare occasion, I feel like a monkey being handed a remote control to a TV. Ugh, how do I work this thing?

Don't get me wrong, I can afford one. I could get one tomorrow if I wanted one. But do I want one? Not really. Do I need one? That's questionable, but right now I'd say no. I've had a pager since oh... around 1991 or 92 and it suits me fine. But I do feel out of place in today's cellphone society. But not out of place enough to actually get a cellphone.

So has anyone else had to admit that they don't have a cellphone and felt awkward about admitting it? Or maybe I'm just the only person on the planet without one..

2. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

I dont have one either. If I want people to talk to me, I'll stay home.

PS: Having a wife is my number one cause of not wanting to be near my phone. [​IMG]

3. Brad Porter

Brad Porter Screenwriter

Don't have one. Don't want one. But I do agree that people make you feel like you're Kevin McCarthy's character in the original Invasion of the Body Snatchers when you tell them you don't have a cell phone.

I cherish the time when people can't reach me. Leave me a message and I'll get back to you when I feel like it.

Also, paying for a cell phone would just remind me that nobody calls me. Thanks Gary, now you've depressed me. [​IMG]

Brad

4. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

I held off getting a cell phone because I saw no point in spending $30-40 a month for something I would rarely use. But now that I have Virgin Mobile, at only 20 bucks every 90 days, it's perfect. It's come in handy when I need to contact someone.

5. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    I got rid of the land line, and got a cell phone. Why pay $40 a month for telemarketers? Id rather pay a little less, and have cheaper long distance.

6. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

I was proud not to have a cell phone until this year, when I moved off-campus. My university has a special deal with Cincinnati Bell Wireless, so I only have to pay $15/month, whereas I'd have to pay at least $25/month for a land line.

7. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I have a company cell phone, but would probably never get a personal one if I had to turn in my company cell phone.

8. Jacinto

Jacinto Second Unit

Jacinto
    Neither I nor my wife have a cell phone or pager. The only time we think it would come in handy would be for calling the babysitter when we're out on a date, so we just can't justify the cost for 3-4 calls per month.

9. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

I was with you Gary, I don't believe in cell phones [​IMG] We had a thread that we talked about the anti-cell phone thing briefly.

But my wife wasn't very good on the long distance, and neglected to sign up for good long distance plans for our landline (So she was paying too much for state-to-state calls - long ones). So she is now paying for a pair of cellphones, and we share the minutes. $59.99 for both of us, no landline (cable modem). And I doubt we'll go over minutes, because we

1) don't talk in daylight to people, rarely (comes from being 2nd and 3rd shift vampires)
    2) I don't talk on the phone for fun to anyone but her

I'm still iffy on the whole thing. I don't think it's worth $60. But she's paying *shrug*

I still don't like cellphones. But now I have one. When my wife called during class I went up and apologized to the teacher, professing my dislike of them, and that I had threatened to kill her if she called me during class. I felt like such an ass, I was one of those annoying cellphone people [​IMG]

I've had the cellphone a total of like 3 weeks. Handy to get in touch with my wife if needed (since I am at school like 5-6 hours a day).

I recommend foamy the squirrel @ www.illwillpress.com/vault.html . One of his "foamy's rants" (I believe #2) he goes off on cellphones. [​IMG]

10. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

I don't see much point in a land line, unless you need it for faxes or something.

Around here, basic service (no call waiting, no call forwarding, no voice mail, nothing) is about $30/mo even if you don't use the phone.

For $8 more I get a phone I can use most anywhere (even out of state), long distance doesn't cost extra, voice mail included, etc.

I also don't see the point of a pager or beeper when there are cell phones. Why beep someone, who then has to find a phone to call back, instead of just calling them?

11. Scott L

Scott L Producer

My social life went through the riz-oof when I got my first booty call on the cell phone in college. I used to be a non believer but this thing really works!

I really don't need it but it's very handy to keep around. And I hate talking on it when in public.

12. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

I have several (one account that I use thru many devices) because I'm an employee of a mobile carrier and we get killer price plans. Ironically I almost never speak on my phone (lucky to use about 10% of my minutes) but I use the heck out of the data portion of my account (both Blackberry and unlimited internet).

13. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    I have one because I need to stay in touch with the office at all times, emergencies and the like. Like many others I've gone without a landline just because it's more cost-effective.

That having been said, my father is rabidly anti-cell-phone, and couldn't even imagine having one, even though he's had questions when we were out together, like what my mother needs from the town 30 miles away that he happens to be in, yet marvels at my ability to just call and ask. I was supposed to meet him for a movie and he got lost, but because he didn't have a cell I couldn't call and ask if he were coming (after I'd already invested in the tickets) or give him directions. Honestly, when you can invest in one for 20-25 dollars a month for basic minute plans, I can't see a reason NOT to get a cell.

14. Marko Berg

Marko Berg Supporting Actor

Gary, weren't you considering relocating to Sweden some time ago? If you are going to do that, you'd better start getting acquainted with cell phones now. Practically everyone in Scandinavia aged 7 and up has a cell phone. You'll literally be the only grown-up without one.

15. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I have a prepaid one that is inactive that I use for the possibility of calling 911 or so because I bike commute year round.

It is also good to scare the piss off of cagers who think they own the road or something. i.e. pretend to start dialing the cops and you should see some of these bozos reactions!

Jay

16. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

No landline here either. Completely pointless.

Don't blame the cell phone, you could have put it on vibrate or turned it off in class.

--
    H

17. Michael Warner

Michael Warner Supporting Actor

I held off as long as I could but broke down and got one last year when we moved into a new house and I had to coordinate movers, inspectors, etc. with no land line installed. I went with Virgin Mobile as well since the phone gets so little use but I did keep it after the move for emergencies and what-not. But, unless I'm expecting an incoming call, the thing is never turned on.

18. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

I finally broke down and got a prepaid emergency phone earlier this year that lives in my car. Means that if I have to call cops, CAA, or home for something, I can. I don't understand the "digital leash" people though-you don't have to be in contact THAT much.

19. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

I take my cell phone everywhere just in case, but it's only turned on at home or during breaks between classes if I'm expecting a call.

20. BrettB

BrettB Producer

Don't have one and don't want one.