What's new

I do not like this as a movie; I do not think it will be groovy. (1 Viewer)

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
Sadly, parents seem to be taking their kids in droves to see the film. It passed $47 million on Wednesday. :frowning:

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
You weren't sad when the same parents took their kids to see Finding Nemo over and over again... :) For such commercial children's fare, the audience is going to show up (quality of the film is seldom the determining factor for attendance of these types of films), especially around the holiday season. Face it, parents use these movies as a treat or to hang out with the kids for a few hours (or to take a break from the kids for a few hours).

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I saw the film, and I can say without hyperbole that it is the worst piece of garbage I have ever seen.

Jeff D Han

Supporting Actor
I saw the trailer for this only once, and with that
one viewing I said to myself "this looks horrible".
I just don't like that Hollywood remakes things instead
of trying something new. I think it's appalling to
mutate a children's book and stick toilet or sex
jokes into the story. It does look like another
Fat Bastard or Shreck part that Myers is doing.
I am glad it is getting hammered in reviews, and
it will fall off the charts in a couple of weeks.

Allen Hirsch

Supporting Actor
How in the WORLD does this even get a 14% Rotten Tomato rating??

There are TWO supposedly-positive review quotes on the front page of RT (only one of which actually seems positive, IMO). The critical quotes otherwise from nearly all the reviews are as damning as anything this side of Gigli and Battlefield Earth.

I'll certainly be saving my time and $$ and avoid this abomination. I guess we'll have to hope there's a massive falloff in box office in the 2nd week, or Hollywood will have every incentive to shovel even more of this absolute dreck our way under the umbrella of a "franchise name" that they'd gladly destroy, as long as it meant a b.o. hit.

JohnAP

Second Unit
When Seuss was alive he was very protective of his rights and when they were translated into cartoons he made sure he was very involved. In recent years his second wife has been making quite a fortune selling them out. The awful Grinch movie and the unpresedented merchandising blitz that accompanied it went against the spirit of that story.

No I haven't seen this new Cat in the Hat movie and don't plan to and maybe that doesn't give me the right to bash it, but I probably will anyway. The saddest thing was when I went to see Master and Commander yesterday and there was a commercial before the movie with the Cat in the Hat shilling for Burger King. Dr. Seuss' life's work deserves to be handled with more care than it's being given.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
John,
This is one of those very rare cases in which you truly CAN bash the movie without having seen it. If the marketing (particularly the trailers and TV spots) have you cringing uncontrollably, that's precisely how you'll feel as the full "movie" unspools. I sat through the vile thing; I know.
And I couldn't agree more about the shoddy way in which Seuss' legacy is being treated. Granted, I kinda liked the Grinch flick. But back then I remember hearing from Grazer and Howard that the Widow Seuss was VERY particular about certain aspects of the film's production.
I guess when it came time to sign off on The Cat in the Hat she didn't feel like bothering and just cashed her checks.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
The movie supposedly beat Haunted Mansion by a whisker even though earlier in the day it was reported to be in second place. Universal changed the dollar amount later on Sunday to go into first place. Ummmm, can you say "#@%*&*@! Monday will provide accurate and final results. It was down about 40% from the opening weekend, but did very well during the week. It's done appx $70 million since opening. Never underestimate the power of advertising.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks