1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

I did something fairly remarkable today.

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by David Galindo, Sep 30, 2004.

1. David Galindo

David Galindo Screenwriter

So I had a persuasion speech I had to give in front of my college "argument and persuasion" class, having only 6-10 minutes to make a point. All of our speeches up to today had been unsuccessful at persuading anyone to change (many did the war in Iraq- as if you can change someone's viewpoint on that issue in 6 minutes!). After the speeches, everyone does a quick answer on whether or not they were persuaded.

So, I did my presentation on...yup...why Widescreen is better than "Foolscreen". I did a video side-by-side analysis of two movies running at different formats, explained what fullscreen does to movies, etc. I rehearsed the speech so much before then that I didnt need any notes to read off of- it was just me and the audience. Many beforehand did not know the difference between wide and full.

By the end of my speech, every single member of the class had agreed that fullscreen was bad, and will in the future buy only widescreen (or invest in a DVD player instead of VHS fullscreen movies). Almost everyone didnt know beforehand what wide vs full meant, and that there was such a big difference between the two.

Its nice to know I made a difference [​IMG] Im so happy! Woo!

2. Bob Turnbull

Bob Turnbull Supporting Actor

Didn't happen to get that on tape did you?

If not, looks like you'll just have to go on a lecturing tour of universities. Roadshow! [​IMG]

Congrats...

3. Haggai

Haggai Producer

Forget about a mere university tour--Galindo '04 for president!

Great job, David. [​IMG]

4. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Great job. [​IMG] Hopefully they'll tell all their friends, and they'll tell all their friends and ....

5. BrettB

BrettB Producer

Then he can be impeached when Super 35 Gate blows up in his face.[​IMG]

6. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

Great job, David. I have only one question:

How did a roomful of kids make it all the way to college without knowing about widescreen? [​IMG]

7. Jay Taylor

Jay Taylor Supporting Actor

Way to go David!

By converting your class to widescreen you may have reached critical mass at your college causing an unstoppable chain reaction to convert your entire college to widescreen!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

I can totally see David getting a successful result now. Seven years of DVD, and marketing for "widescreen HDTVs" has helped tremendously (heck even Wal-Mart stocks OAR and now OAR is outselling P&S even there!). But [​IMG] [​IMG] for doing your speech in any event!

What would be interesting would be to see how this speech would have played in 1997, when widescreen HDTVs were rare and cost $3000+ for entry level, and when VHS and 20-32" 4:3 TVs ruled the land. Might have been more contentious than an Iraq speech... [​IMG]

9. Michael Caicedo

Michael Caicedo Second Unit

Michael Caicedo
    Well done David!! [​IMG] Another question: How many in the class previously preferred fullscreen? Or was it just they were indifferent? Just curious.

10. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    That's very cool. I'm sure I would have picked the same subject. Let us know how you're graded too and any comments the prof gives you.

11. Mark Sherman

Mark Sherman Supporting Actor

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Way to go[​IMG] I wish More people would take the time and explain the diff.or do a tour of all best buys and CC .

12. Cameron Yee

Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    I was in CostCo and a couple was looking at the display of Star Wars sets. They were wondering what the differences were between the gold and silver packaging and then figured it out. I hung around pretending I was browsing just to see what they would do. The guy went off to look at something else and the woman wound up putting the package back. I felt like a boyscout waiting for an old lady to come by the intersection [​IMG].

13. Matt Butler

Matt Butler Screenwriter

Way to go David!! [​IMG]

Just out of curiosity what film(s) did you reference w/s vs p/s?

14. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    i'm currently taking technical communication, and i have a presentation coming up in a couple weeks, i plan to do it on oar/mar dvds as well.

CJ

15. David Galindo

David Galindo Screenwriter

Almost all of the people in the class were indifferent- they didnt know the difference between wide and full, and didnt care.

First, I explained the different aspect ratios (Academy Standard, Cinemascope, etc.) using clips from Chappelle show, Gone With the Wind, Fargo, and Minority Report. Then I used an edited comparison of Dark City, Men in Black & The Rundown to show both the fullscreen and widescreen versions at the same time. Then I had a frame at the end of the film that said

W I D E S C R E E N > "Foolscreen"

which drove the point home well [​IMG]

My professor said I spent a bit too much time on the evidence, and not enough shouting "Widescreen is great" but said that was really the only way to present this speech.
    Thankfully, someone asked the question "But I cant afford a widescreen TV...so I cant watch movies like that." to which I explained how widescreen works on all TVs, filling the empty space with black, etc.

I really want to do my speech in front of more people, but dont know where. Ah well. Im happy [​IMG]
    Thanks everyone!!!

16. Cameron Yee

Reviewer

Cameron Yee

Doesn't your school have a central courtyard where everyone goes to demonstrate? You can make a huge sign on a 7' pole and bang a loud gong to get attention.

17. Chet_F

Chet_F Supporting Actor

Woa.....cool!!![​IMG]

18. Mark Sherman

Mark Sherman Supporting Actor

Yes Indeed I went to the braintree best buy. Its only 3 minutes from my house.

19. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ

thats whta i figured, you living in weymouth. perhaps the mullet guy was the same as ronnie dobbs, the guy from mr. show who gets arrested all over the country [​IMG]

CJ